Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle.... 1994 Ford Ranger Xlt 2.3L with 2wd 5speed transmission (230xxx miles both engine and transmission).

Owners manual calls for Mercon automatic transmission fluid in the 5 speed transmission, which is the Mazda md50 r-1.

I am a fan of valvoline, but do not use Valvoline exclusively in EVERYTHING per se, but would like too know if its safe too use the Maxlife DEX/MERC ATF in the transmission.

On the Ranger forum, have found many saying MerconV is what its called for and many use, and there is much debate about gear oil and ATF used and people who claim both are correct even though the manual states too use Mercon ATF.

I like valvolines maxlife products, and if safe too use, wouldn't mind using it as well in my 5 speed tranny. If its not recommended, am very open too what people know works good with these trucks.

I'm using MaxLife ATF in my F150 which calls for Mercon V as well. Valvoline says it exceeds the Mervon V spec and no worries. Some report concern over the initial lower viscosity of MaxLife opposed to Mercon V. Valvoline says not an issue as MaxLife resists shearing much better than Mercon V etc...

I'm also using it to replace Nissan Matic S. I would be comfortable using it in your vehicle but that's me...I'd show more concern if I towed heavy loads often or very often.

Id run a 5w-30 MTF like Amsoil, personally. If feel gets real bad, then cut viscosity, but I think it will work perfect.

I replaced the 20 yr. old manual transmission fluid on a 93 2.3 Mazda "Ranger" with Maxlife Dex/Merc. It still shifts fine with the occasional stubborn neutral to first shift.

I also replaced the 9 yr. old factory fill manual transmission fluid on a VERY low mileage 04 3.0 Ranger with half Maxlife Dex/Merc and half Pennzoil Synchromesh. This transmission had a clunk/bump when shifting from 1-2 and was not real smooth 2-3. This fluid combo improved the shifting and has no downside that I can tell.

If I ever change the fluid in these trucks again I might go with the combo of both fluids, or all Pennzoil Synchromesh. I would think that a fluid intended for a manual transmission is better than an ATF in a manual.

The Pennzoil Synchromesh is not much thicker than the original specs for Mercon and MerconV. As was stated in another post Maxlife Dex/Merc is thinner than normal Mercon or MerconV and closer to MerconLV.

Quote:
I would think that a fluid intended for a manual transmission is better than an ATF in a manual.

And you would be correct. Preach on, brother!
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
I would think that a fluid intended for a manual transmission is better than an ATF in a manual.

And you would be correct. Preach on, brother!
thumbsup2.gif

Not intended for starting a debate, as i highly respect your opinion MolaKule, but owners manual even calls for Mercon ATF in the 5 speed manual transmission.

If there is something better too use, i would love too know. I mean no disrespect too anyone, i am wanting too learn as much as possible about it and be using the correct fluids too make my vehicle run its best.

I may have misunderstood your posting, if such, please disreguard....

Last edited:
Quote:
If there is something better too use, i would love too know.

There are better fluids out there.

Quote:
[size:14pt]Manual Transmission Fluids (MTL) Fluids containing MTL Application Specific Additive (Dedicated) Packages with GL-4 Ratings

Choosing a Manual Transmission fluid can be confusing.

Many times there is simply a specification referenced and no information about the viscosity of a fluid at 100C, where the oil viscosity is documented at the higher testing temperature.

What I recommend you do when looking for a replacement fluid is to determine the viscosity of the fluid at 100C either from the manufacturer's Product Data Sheet or from a New oil Analysis or VOA.

After knowing the viscosity at 100C (212F), one can then attempt to match up the fluid to one or more of those below:

A. The four MTL fluids closest to a Kinematic Viscosity of 6.1 (About the same viscosity as a DexronVI) or so are:

1. Castrol Syntrans FE 75W,

2. BMW (Pentosin) MTF-LT-3,

3. Honda MTII or MTF 2.

4. Ford FML-XT-11-QDC

B. The next higher viscosity MTL would be the 7.5 cSt versions (About the same viscosity as a DexronIII)

1. Royal Purple's Synchromax

2. Ravenol MTF-2

3. Honda MTF

4. VW part number G052512A2

5. GM Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid

6. BMW (Pentosin) MTF-LT-1, 2

C. The next higher viscosity MTL would be Castrol Syntrans V FE 75W-80 8.0cSt

D. The next higher viscosity MTL would be BG Synchroshift II 8.2 cSt

E. The next higher viscosity is Mopar Type MS-9417 MTL 9.0cSt

F. The next higher viscosity MTL would be Pennzoil Synchromesh 9.3 cSt

G. The next group of MTL’s are in the 10.x cSt range are:

1. Redline MTL 70W80.

2. Amsoil MTL

3. GM Synchromeshs’

4. Volvo MTF 645

5. Ford Motor Craft XT-M5-QS

H. The next higher viscosity MTL would be:

1. Redline MT-85 – 12.0 cSt

I. The next higher viscosity MTLs would be:

1. Amsoil MTG 14.5 cSt

2. Redline MT-90 15.6 cSt

3. Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75W-90

From Manual Transmission Technical Paper

Last edited:
As a side note, I installed some ATF (unable to remember which) in a manual transaxle requiring requiring MS-9417 (no access to mopar at the time) and either three or four years later, vehicle went to the bone yard. No tranny issues were reported. Just my 2c.

The ranger I have is odd.... Has a Mazda manual transmission from factory that even by the manual called for mercon atf. Had too get it out after looking it up online too make sure what I was reading in results from Google was correct. I never heard of using atf in a manual tranny before, but learn something new everyday I guess.....

I think I have related this before, but I had a 1982 Chevy S-10 4-speed with a puny 4 cylinder engine and it speced DexronIII ATF. The Engine and Transmission were Isuzu components.

After three transmission rebuilds, I developed the SYNCHROGLIDE MTL and never had anymore failures.

Maybe it was a weakness of the transmission design, but when using ATF, the pin bearings and synchros were always failing within about 28,000 miles.

Last edited:
I thought it was strange too, the first time. It was similar to when I installed engine oil into a Honda manual transaxle. Just seemed odd, but it works.

Just a side note, you could just use conventional Dex/Merc instead of the synthetic MaxLife.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I think I have related this before, but I had a 1982 Chevy S-10 4-speed with a puny 4 cylinder engine and it speced DexronIII ATF. The Engine and Transmission were Isuzu components.

After three transmission rebuilds, I developed the SYNCHROGLIDE MTL and never had anymore failures.

Maybe it was a weakness of the transmission design, but when using ATF, the pin bearings and synchros were always failing within about 28,000 miles.

Interesting. By the way, I enjoy reading your posts.

At the risk of sounding like a fool.... would pennzoil synchromesh manual transmission fluid work better?
I just spent an afternoon scouring the ranger forum full of posts of people complaining about transmission failures and problems with the manual transmission and they all swear by the mercon v. This is why i ask here, as there seems too be a lot more technical information and people whom know what they are talking about. One post (in the ranger forum) they swear mercon v works in the transmission, then post threads on issues with the transmission..... perry mason would have seen them red flags in less than 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Quote:
At the risk of sounding like a fool.... would pennzoil synchromesh manual transmission fluid work better?

I think it would provide better AW protection and synchro engagement since the Pennzoil Synchromesh has that synchro friction modifier, whereas ATF does not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back