Get a load of the Elio

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.eliomotors.com/

21.gif

Wow that looks very interesting, Made in USA, great mileage, modern safety, i.e. air bags, crush zones, disc brakes, looks like a complete modern interior not a converted motorcycle, A/C, radio, manual or Auto... This would be a great commuter daily driver.

hmm and it's only $6,800... Just think if they sourced a Diesel...

For some reason, it has my interest too. I have no interest in hybrids, smart cars, etc. But for some reason this is interesting to me. I would not put money to be on a waiting list, if they don't come to fruition, you will lose your money.

Last edited:
A quick search failed to reveal who is making their engine and transaxle.

Best guess based on displacement and output would be a Chinese knockoff of the Geely 3 cyl (itself a knockoff of the Toyota/Daihatsu 3 cyl)

Maybe Maruti Suzuki...
21.gif
...but Indian stuff is getting more expensive

I know for fact it isn't Rotax. Too many cylinders, not nearly enough horsepower, and the Rotax engine and transaxle would cost as much as the car itself. (plus the Can Am is rwd)

So what we have here is a backwards American Reliant Robin with a Chinese motor of unknown quality. Big problem may be that there is no real licensing or insurance cost benefit for an enclosed 3 wheel motorcycle in the US. (just try getting an insurance quote for a Can Am Spyder vs a Toyota Yaris)

Originally Posted By: spasm3
For some reason, it has my interest too. I have no interest in hybrids, smart cars, etc. But for some reason this is interesting to me. I would not put money to be on a waiting list, if they don't come to fruition, you will lose your money.

The down payment or as they call it the "reservation" has an option to be refunded you just won't be in the first group of cars released.

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
Originally Posted By: spasm3

The down payment or as they call it the "reservation" has an option to be refunded you just won't be in the first group of cars released.

not if they go belly up.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
A quick search failed to reveal who is making their engine and transaxle.

Best guess based on displacement and output would be a Chinese knockoff of the Geely 3 cyl (itself a knockoff of the Toyota/Daihatsu 3 cyl)

Maybe Maruti Suzuki...
21.gif
...but Indian stuff is getting more expensive

I know for fact it isn't Rotax. Too many cylinders, not nearly enough horsepower, and the Rotax engine and transaxle would cost as much as the car itself. (plus the Can Am is rwd)

So what we have here is a backwards American Reliant Robin with a Chinese motor of unknown quality. Big problem may be that there is no real licensing or insurance cost benefit for an enclosed 3 wheel motorcycle in the US. (just try getting an insurance quote for a Can Am Spyder vs a Toyota Yaris)

Regarding the motorcycle versus car issue the bigger issue is requiring drivers to wear a helmet in those states that have helmet laws which is why they plan to get this certified as a car.

They hired IAV to engineer the new power plant, the plan is to be 100% US engineered and manufactured.

Here is a interesting video about that:

I commute 90 miles round trip. If this proves reliable, I would be interested in one. I'm not going to put money down, but I'll watch. If the engine is Chinese junk, that would be a deal breaker.

According to the website, they have designed, and will build their own engine.

So, they are designing their own engine and they are going to keep this price point?

Okay.....

Because Daimler AG didn't just develop their own 3 cylinder engine. The Smart Fortwo has a Mitsubishi engine. But I'm sure if Daimler didn't want to develop the 3 cylinder in house, money had nothing to do with it
33.gif

So, they are designing their own engine and they are going to keep this price point?

Okay.....

Because Daimler AG didn't just develop their own 3 cylinder engine. The Smart Fortwo has a Mitsubishi engine. But I'm sure if Daimler didn't want to develop the 3 cylinder in house, money had nothing to do with it
33.gif

As I stated on a much earlier post IAV is developing the power train.

http://www.iav.com/us/about-iav/clients

Quote:
The company is developing its own engine and drivetrain with the help of IAV Automotive Engineering, a Detroit area company that also works with other automakers to design and develop drivetrains. The prototype is equipped with a three-cylinder Suzuki engine and transmission.

Kody Klindt, a project development director for IAV, said the new powerplant probably will feature a three-cylinder aluminum block engine. But the engine, which will generate between 60 and 70 horsepower, probably won’t feature the latest fuel management technology to keep down the cost, he said.

Originally Posted By: zloveraz

Okay.....

33.gif

As I stated on a much earlier post IAV is developing the power train.

http://www.iav.com/us/about-iav/clients

Quote:
The company is developing its own engine and drivetrain with the help of IAV Automotive Engineering, a Detroit area company that also works with other automakers to design and develop drivetrains. The prototype is equipped with a three-cylinder Suzuki engine and transmission.

Kody Klindt, a project development director for IAV, said the new powerplant probably will feature a three-cylinder aluminum block engine. But the engine, which will generate between 60 and 70 horsepower, probably won’t feature the latest fuel management technology to keep down the cost, he said.

Yeah, I'm still not seeing them hit that price point even if Germany's IAV Detroit office has a magic wand.

Not saying that they won't use IAV to make the engine, just that they won't meet the price point for certain if they do.

A Chinese made side by side UTV with less than half the displacement and 1/3rd the cylinder count will cost you more than $6800.00

Remember how the Tata Nano was going to be $2500 in the US, Then $3000, then $4995, last I heard, the price was going to be "under $10,000" and they still haven't brought it to the US. Tata is not a small start up company and they couldn't meet their projected price. I think that they will have to double the $6,800.00 starting price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back