Mazda CX-5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the AWD Mazda CX-5 which forces me into AT (drat that)

Earlier Mazda cars were not at all great IMHO. Of course that was a long time ago. So school me on the CX-5. What are the weaknesses? How is the AWD system? AT? Engine?

Interested in hearing from owners and by-standers.

Can't speak to the CX-5 in particular, but I have a trusted mechanic friend who rates Mazda products pretty low in the hierarchy of Japanese cars. He was persuasive enough to talk me out of a Mazda 3 I was considering.

Originally Posted By: walk23
fuel delivery system, being direct injection.

Has this proven to be problematic in this application?

Surely someone here owns one.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: walk23
fuel delivery system, being direct injection.

Has this proven to be problematic in this application?

Surely someone here owns one.

There is no known issues with the DI in this car- people are just saying it's a weakness because it's DI. Mazda did a lot of work with this engine and car. FWIW I had zero issues with mine, and I haven't really heard of any issues- it seems to be proving very reliable so far. But it is also still pretty new, there aren't many examples of high mileage ones yet. Take it for what you will.

I own one, since March 20th. 2014 Touring AWD.
I actually was on vacation last week, and we drove it from here in Denver, to Kansas City, and a bit further over to Columbia, MO, and then back home to Denver. A bit under 1800 miles, all total.

What are your actual questions?

Oh, and Mazda has been doing DI in the Mazdaspeed 3, and the CX-7 for many years, and they have never had problematic issues with intake valve carbon build up, unlike the German car makers, so really, that issue is a non-factor with Mazda, and the CX-5.

You give me questions that you have, and I will answer them fully.
I'm 6'1" tall, and weigh just under 220, plus my fiance is 5'2", and doesn't have a weight I'm aware of.
wink.gif

And just to start off with, the trip last week was incredibly comfortable.

If you want to ask certain ones via PM, and save others for this thread, feel free.

BC.

Thanks guys.

My questions are general in nature about the car at this point. Any problems? Picks and pans? Stuff you have heard/read?

I know nothing about Mazda's AWD. Is a Ford design or???

Oil consumption?

Oil capacity in the 2.5? rated 4.8qt real 5 qt?

How is tire wear?

Interior noise?

Paint durability?

Little issues?

Warm-up time?

Cargo space utility?

Seat folding hassles?

AT smoothness and speed/engine matching?

Glass durability on WS?

Robustness of wipers?

Headlight brightness/coverage?

Steering numb or good road feel?

Snow/ice performance?

Quote:
My questions are general in nature about the car at this point. Any problems? Picks and pans? Stuff you have heard/read?

My biggest grips: Too small steering wheel for my hands, and no seating position comfortable for long highway trips. The interior isn't well enough lit. I mean, things like window up/down, door locks, stuff like that. On my cruze and focus those things are all lit up so you can see them. Not on the Mazda. A minor gripe that other people may not care about.

Quote:
Oil consumption?

Nope, it's Mazda ground up. Doubtful there is even one ford designed/made part on that car.

Quote:

Can't comment on that, I had the 2.0.

Quote:
How is tire wear?

Stock tires are 280 treadwear rated Yokos. They won't last very long. I'm sure the replacements would be fine though.

Quote:
Interior noise?

It's not whisper quiet, but it's not terrible either. About average.

Quote:
Paint durability?

Seems pretty good.

Quote:
Little issues?

Occasionally on cold start it would run rough for a few seconds, almost sound like it was going to stall. Never became an issue and only did it 2/3 times in the time I owned it.

Quote:
Warm-up time?

Pretty quick. No temp gauge though. Has a blue light for cold, and goes off when it warms up, red if overheat. Obviously depends on how cold it is and how you are driving it when cold like any other car.

Quote:
Cargo space utility?

Darn good, lots of room in the back.

Quote:
Seat folding hassles?

Mmmmm, not really. They were pretty straightforward and worked well.

Quote:

Probably the best and most responsive traditional automatic out there.

Quote:
Glass durability on WS?

Can't comment on.

Quote:
Robustness of wipers?

Worked well for the time I had mine.

Quote:

Not bad, not great. Average.

Quote:

It's a Mazda.

Quote:
Snow/ice performance?

About as good as the tires that you have on it. Stocks are pretty meh.

AT is great. Engine is nice and smooth, dare I say peppy. Build quality is a solid 8 out of 10. Suspension is paramount, seriously, it's that good.

Stereo sound quality isn't all that hot. TomTom Navigator voice recognition is atrocious. Few tires to choose from with the 19" wheel.

I've posted two threads about the CX-5, one was a test drive and one was once I had one in the driveway. I've been very, very happy with mine so far. I've tracked 1,100 miles on Fuelly so far and am averaging 28.6 MPG. I've had an issue with the alignment being off straight from the dealer and brake shudder. The alignment they fixed right away and the shudder they wanted to see if longer bed in was needed. Strangely enough that seems to have been the problem, kind of shocked me as that was around the 1k mark, anyway since there still is a slight shudder I'll be taking it in at which point they told me they will resurface or replace the rotors depending on what corporate Mazda says. That is the only mechanical complaint I have on the car. If you're looking for a purpose built crossover that doesn't pretend to be something it isn't without spending over $35k, you'll have a hard time finding something better than the CX-5.

Mazda is much better than they used to be. I think their cars are very good. Our 3 has been excellent.

I like the CX-5. Nice look car. Handles well. The AWD is so so. Not nearly as good as Subaru's.

I think Mazda is making great cars these days.

What is your interest in AWD? It seems like FWD+traction on rear from what observed this winter in our family getaway. 12"+ powder from drifting it struggled at best. Decent for slippery conditions but not great for the deeper snow or mud.

Look at the Mazda dealer network. It is small, and the dealers have a tendency to be second-rate. Bdcardinal can also confirm that the parts supply network is vastly inferior to Ford or another top-tier automaker.

Also, while Mazda's offerings have improved significantly in the recent years, I still tend to see very few Mazdas over 5-7 years. OTOH, I see 7-10 year old Hondas and Toyotas on a frequent basis. Either Mazda's client base does not have the income or interest to maintain these cars as they age, or there is something about them that becomes undesirable as they get older.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
What is your interest in AWD? It seems like FWD+traction on rear from what observed this winter in our family getaway. 12"+ powder from drifting it struggled at best. Decent for slippery conditions but not great for the deeper snow or mud.

Could you clarify, please?

Do (did) you own an AWD or a FWD CX-5. If AWD, then many of the cheaper, less-complex systems are very similar.

Also, which tires did you have? Even my STI, with three limited-slip differentials, left me stuck in the snow with high-performance all-season tires. With winter tires I'm now unstoppable, but those AS tires were worthless, except they afforded a better wear rating and were a little more comfortable and quieter.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, an older Civic with winter tires was maneuvering just as well, and out-braked me during a winter driving school I took part in two winters ago.

So, tires, tires, tires. That's not to say that a good or even mediocre AWD won't provide any benefit; just that having good tires, regardless of whether you're hydroplaning through a mini-lake in the middle of summer or trying to climb your steep driveway in the middle of a snow storm, the tires will be a large factor in your level of success.

//

From what I've read, the CX-5 is great with regard to driveability and fuel economy, but much noisier and rougher. Coming from my tin can, any up-tick in comfort would be welcome, so the negatives for many will be a positive to me. More importantly, the positives that every one denotes will minimize the negative impact to my driving experience, should I trade eventually. I've driven larger vehicles that were dead-feeling and boring, so something like the CX-5 is very appealing to me, especially now that they've upgraded from the seemingly dreadfully slow 2.0L only option.

Originally Posted By: R80RS
Can't speak to the CX-5 in particular, but I have a trusted mechanic friend who rates Mazda products pretty low in the hierarchy of Japanese cars. He was persuasive enough to talk me out of a Mazda 3 I was considering.

Find another trusted mechanic friend. On our 4th Mazda product and loving it. In 7 years and 4 vehicles of ownership we have NEVER had to go back to the dealer for a single problem or warranty repair.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Look at the Mazda dealer network. It is small, and the dealers have a tendency to be second-rate. Bdcardinal can also confirm that the parts supply network is vastly inferior to Ford or another top-tier automaker.

Also, while Mazda's offerings have improved significantly in the recent years, I still tend to see very few Mazdas over 5-7 years. OTOH, I see 7-10 year old Hondas and Toyotas on a frequent basis. Either Mazda's client base does not have the income or interest to maintain these cars as they age, or there is something about them that becomes undesirable as they get older.

Gotta disagree with the parts availability. As a parts and production manager for a very large collision center, my orders for almost any Mazda part come within 48 hrs at the absolute latest. Not too sure where Bdcardinal is getting his from, but it shouldn't ever be much of a problem.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: rjundi

Could you clarify, please?

Do (did) you own an AWD or a FWD CX-5. If AWD, then many of the cheaper, less-complex systems are very similar.

Also, which tires did you have? Even my STI, with three limited-slip differentials, left me stuck in the snow with high-performance all-season tires. With winter tires I'm now unstoppable, but those AS tires were worthless, except they afforded a better wear rating and were a little more comfortable and quieter.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, an older Civic with winter tires was maneuvering just as well, and out-braked me during a winter driving school I took part in two winters ago.

So, tires, tires, tires. That's not to say that a good or even mediocre AWD won't provide any benefit; just that having good tires, regardless of whether you're hydroplaning through a mini-lake in the middle of summer or trying to climb your steep driveway in the middle of a snow storm, the tires will be a large factor in your level of success.

1/4 mile gravel driveway that essentially two low tracks across an open field to our winter getaway(ski house) drifts in 6"-12"+ of loose poweder. My wife's 2005 Subaru Legacy GT MT with known cruddy all-seasons (Yoko Envigours) has no issue with pure mechanical AWD and LSD rear. My wife is an expert(2005 LGT hers) at driving on poor all-season tires and previously with FWD Japanese econoboxes. My Acura MDX with traction control disabled off (Mich all-seasons) can also do.

Subaru no issue. Toyota RAV4 only with 4wd locker on and all-seasons works. CRV useless and requires Kubota 4wd tractor pull. Mazda CX-5 did not do it on factory tires and AWD.

Interestingly Sienna with FWD and snows gets stuck too along with Corolla and snows. AWD has its place in deep stuff even with all-seasons help a lot. Yes winter tires even better.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Thanks guys.

With my vehicle, I have not yet had a problem with it, and I now have over 6000 miles on mine. A mixture of city and highway driving, with last week's near 1800 mile all highway, and some in Kansas City driving around. I have driven it in snow both with the stock OEM Yokohama tires, and with my Yokohama IG-50 snow tires.

I also live at well over 5k feet in altitude, and this trip to Kansas City was it's first ever trip to low altitude since it was purchased.

Quote:

Nope.
Mazda has had their own AWD technology that they have used on the Mazda CX-7, CX-9, plus the older Mazdaspeed 6 for a while. The only vehicle that shared Ford AWD technology was the Mazda Tribute, and that isn't the same technology as what is in the CX-5.

You're going to be hard pressed to learn much about the Mazda AWD technology, as they don't go tooting their own horn about it, like how Subaru or Audi does. But it is seemless, and does work very well in actual use.

Quote:
Oil consumption?

I used about 1/4 quart in my initial factory oil fill, which lasted to 4200 miles, just before the trip. The car uses 0W-20 engine oil, but since we're talking about you, I don't think I need to make any oil recommendations at all.
smile.gif

Quote:

My oil change use the entire 5 quart bottle of PP 0W-20 that I picked up at Walmart, plus an OEM Mazda oil filter picked up at the dealer. Do not use any oil filters that are not OEM, because Mazda has their internal bypass spring ratings much different than the aftermarket company parts that are the same size. If you use the aftermarket oil filters, you will run in bypass much more often, as the OEM filter's bypass pressure is much higher than the aftermarket filters.

Quote:
How is tire wear?

I started off the first couple of months usage of the CX-5 with the winter tires on, then swapped back to the OEM tires (mounted on aftermarket wheels, snow tires are mounted on OEM wheels). I rotated the tires just before the trip to Kansas City, and there wasn't any noticeable wear on them at that point, during my inspection while I was rotating them in my garage.

I am planning on rotating them again once I have access to the car again (My whole family is in town, and the car is on loan to my little sister and her family. They actually own a Mazda Tribute up in Canada, so I look forward to how they feel the CX-5 compares to their Tribute when they give the car back), so I will fill you in on if there was any tire wear during the ~1800 cross country trip on I-70. I pretty much had the cruise control locked in at 77 mph the whole trip.

Quote:
Interior noise?

Biggest creator of interior noise is from the huge side mirrors at highway speed, and the engine during cold starts. The cold start noise tends to only last between 7 and 15 seconds after starting the car from several hours of not being run. It is a bit loud during this rapid convertor warm up period, but all the new SkyActiv engines that I have test driven have done this (about 10 different cars between the Mazda 3, CX-5, and Mazda 6). Once the convertor warm up is finished, the engine is greatly subdued.

The 2.5 engine does have a very nice tone at wide open throttle, however.
It's not quite as good as a Maserati GranTurismo V-8 at wide open throttle, but it is enjoyable for a 4 cylinder engine in a small Crossover SUV.

Quote:
Paint durability?

I paid extra for the Soul Red paint for our car (there's an upcharge for the Soul Red, and the Crystal White Pearl Paint, but it is only $200), and we are extremely happy with the color. We also installed clear bra on the hood, mirrors, A pillars, door cups, and the roof to help protect this nice paint from stone chips. I don't see any flaws in the paint in the car, but my eyes might not be as sensitive as your eyes might be.

Go to a dealer, and look at the paint jobs of several cars on the lot, and any cars they might have in their used section for comparison.

Quote:
Little issues?

My main complaints are not having manual transmission versions offered in all trim levels here in the US market, nor offered with the 2.5 engine here in the US market. But, this complaint is fully negated by the fantastic automatic transmission that the car is equipped with. It really is the best automatic transmission I have ever driven, and it makes me a smidge sad that I'm actually saying that I really like it, because I love the interaction with the manual transmission shifter, and clutch on all my previous cars.

Let me put it this way:

After 6k miles with the automatic in the CX-5, and the way that it is programmed, I am 100% satisfied with this purchase. It is a stunning automatic, and will make you rethink the need to want a manual transmission, just for better driving feel. I'm looking forward to testing the transmissions in the upcoming MX-5 to see how they do with making a RWD SkyActiv transmission. That could end my need for a manual if its as good as as this transmission is.

Quote:
Warm-up time?

The blue engine cold light tends to go off within 1/4 to 1/2 a mile of driving, after leaving my house. That's at 35 mph once on the main avenue after getting out of my little subdivision of houses. My commute is under 8 miles one way, and I have good heat not too far after turning off of the 35/40 mph avenue onto the 45 mph boulevard. From there, it's another 5 miles to work, in comfort.

Quote:
Cargo space utility?

The Touring and Grand Touring versions get a 3 piece rear seat, with release levers on the insides of the walls of the cargo area. Very, very convenient. The seats in the Sport version are two pieces, and don't have the release levers. Also, the Sport seats don't fold as flat as the Touring and Grand Touring trims do. The bottom part of the seats move slight forward and down to allow more room in the higher trims.

Overall cargo space is plentiful. We typically use it to toss a black lab mix back there, but we have brought home baseboards and other items of long odd sizes from Lowes/Home Depot without issue. I do plan on picking up a trailer hitch receiver soon, so that I can use my small HF utility trailer to tow things like my motorcycle, and carry larger objects when the need arrives.

Quote:
Seat folding hassles?

If you're tall like I am, you will need to move the front seat forward a bit if you have the headrests on the rear seats. I have taken the rear headrests out of my car, so this is a non-issue for me. If I know I'm going to have rear passengers, then I put the headrests back in for that drive. No other issues other than that. Just pull the lever, and the seats shoot forward. If you have a noisy kid bouncing around you, have them stick their head in front of one of the seats when you release it, and you can get a bit of satisfaction from the events that transpire after you pull the release lever.

Oh, and each section of the 3 piece seat has its own release lever in the hatch area, so if you just need the skinny center section to fold down, it's easy.

Quote:

I can go on an on about this forever, but it simply is a fantastic transmission.
My fiancee's best quote was "Every time I would have shifted in a manual transmission is exactly when the CX-5's automatic was already completing its shift." She hasn't owned/driven an automatic car since her Chevy II back in the late 70's. That's high praise, because she's a wee bit picky about transmissions.

We love the transmission.
See? I'm just going on and on about it.
Test drive one, or seven.

Quote:
Glass durability on WS?

Not quite sure what you mean there?
Do I have stone chips on the windshield yet? That would be a no after 6k miles here in Colorado, where DOT doesn't salt on the roads, they use gravel/sand mixture. Hence, all the clear bra material mentioned earlier.

Quote:
Robustness of wipers?

Very, very large driver's wiper (22" or 24"), and an 18" passenger wiper leave a very clean windshield during rain and snow. Very good settings for intermittent operation. I do not have the rain sensing option on my car, so I can not comment on that feature for you.

Quote:

I find the headlights to be fantastic. I also thought Mazda RX-8 headlights to be the best I had ever owned. The fog light option on my CX-5 doesn't provide as much corner lighting as my Fiance's Fiat 500 does, which is simply fantastic, but her headlights don't provide near as much light as the CX-5 does on low beam. Honestly, I find low beam does such a good job providing light in the CX-5, that I don't use the high beams at all. It was the same on the RX-8.

My Porsche Boxster was probably the best mix of low-beams, high beams, and fog lights, but I prefer the RX-8 and CX-5 for low beam illumination of the road over the Porsche low beam. The Fiat provide the worst low beam and high beam, since they are a flapper projector style headlight. With the fog lights on, and the low beams on, that car is much much better. The Crossfire had good projector low beams, but the highbeams were also projector, so that didn't really change things much when flipped on. The combination of low beams and fog lights is better on the Crossfire than on the CX-5, however.

Quote:

Fantastic road feel for a small SUV.
Not nearly as good as the RX-8, and nowhere near the steering and feel of the Porsche, but you can tell that there was thought and love put into the suspension and steering dynamics of the car.

It's well above it's direct competition, that's for sure.

Quote:
Snow/ice performance?

We had a couple decent dumps of snow this winter.
To give you an idea of what I was dealing with, I had my RX-8 equipped with Hankook i-Cept Evo snow tires (and it had a limited slip rear axle), and had little trouble at all with my winter commute in snow. The CX-5 with Yokohama IG-50 tires requires no effort at all, other than dodging the people on the road who don't have snow tires on any of their cars. One of our test drives was done after a decent snow, when we went up into the mountains, and put the car through trail roads with 4 to 10 inches of fresh snow. Never had an issue at all.

Let me know if you have more questions, or want to send a PM with more specific stuff that you wouldn't want to mention on the open forum.

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back