LT or P-metric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at replacement tires on my F150 with 7200# suspension and 4wd. Truck doesn't tow much bit the occcasional firewood or boat to drop in and is used for approx 95% mixed highway/city commuting and 5% fireroad or two track use. Looking g at a couple of my top tire picks there is a significant price gultch between LT rated tires and their P-metric counter parts. Will I be sacrificing any real durability, safety or handling by going with the lower cost tires?

Don't even think about using P rated tires on your truck. Stick with the LTs. You'll probably be over the weight rating of the P tires just with the truck itself, forget about towing or hauling anything.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Don't even think about using P rated tires on your truck. Stick with the LTs. You'll probably be over the weight rating of the P tires just with the truck itself, forget about towing or hauling anything.
huh? Theres half ton trucks all over the place that come from the factory with p metric tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
huh? Theres half ton trucks all over the place that come from the factory with p metric tires.

Agree no need for LT with this setup btw what is on the door tag.

Last edited:
What is the factory specified size on the door sticker? If its a P-metric, go ahead and use those. If it specifies a LT, you have to use a LT, then. If you go with P-metric in place of an LT you will sacrifice all the above; and most places wont mount them anyway.

not accurate.

OP: you left out one piece of info we needed.

Year of truck.

I think yours specifically spec's load range E.

hopefully yours isnt the one that takes the really wonky

245/75r17 that isnt widely made.

Last edited:
Sorry, its the 2011 in my sig. And factory spec was 23/75r17 load e. Thinking about going to the optional 265/70r17 but not sure if that will sac any real mileage either...

According to Capri Racer, the load rating of a passenger car tire should be reduced by 10% when mounted in place of an LT tire. Since these are probably quite large tires, I doubt that would be a serious impediment.
It sounds like you use the truck mostly as a passenger vehicle and you probably don't seriously challenge the GVWR at any time, although tires capable of the GAWR at either end should still be used.
OTOH, will you really save any money?
Some LT tires have exceptionally long wear lives, so although they may cost more up front, you get all of that back in extended tread life, which would not have been the case with the tire-shredding IFS Ford used back in the day.

Just get load range E. For legal purposes if nothing else.

OP: I have sig's turned off due to some obnoxious ones people had.

Have you checked the door placard?

The site I use lists 245/75R17 Load range E as your size.

The wider tire you will lose some gas mileage but the tire you pick will mostly likely have more influence than the size.

IE an aggressive AT tire vs a highway tread.

There are a few major tire sites that I've found in the past to be habitually innaccurate on stock tire sizes and have noticed that with this truck. Window sticker and doorjam both agree on 235/75r17 E.

LT tires aren't usually necessary on 1/2 ton trucks. 3/4 and 1 ton trucks always need them, but not 1/2 ton.

Check load rating, pressure rating, and other specifics of the tires in question, consider your truck's weight and loading/towing habits, and make a choice.

I've used LT and P on my truck and the only thing the LT ever did for me was sap fuel economy due to the extra weight.

Well interesting development. Just double checked the door sticker and the truck is indeed spec'd with P metrics, P235/75r17 108S front and rear! front GAWR is 3750lbs and rear GAWR is 3850lbs, so I'm thinking P-metrics are completely fair game- now the only question is will the LT's provide any real benefit?

LTs will only really offer a benefit if you do plan to tow or haul a heavy load in the bed or if you intend to go with an AT tire (tread depths tend to be shallower in the P metric vs LT)

LT will be stiffer and give a harder ride than P but nobody expects luxury car ride quality out of a pickup

I think the closest LT tire to your size is the LT255/75R17-C. It will be wider, taller (possible clearance problems in both directions), require more air pressure than your Standard Load tires to carry the same actual load, ride rougher, and cost more to buy. Not my choice.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
His truck has heavy suspension package. Its like a...5/8 ton or something.

I like that - so mine would be like a 9/16 ton
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back