Bosch Distance Plus vs. Mobil 1 oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which do you prefer? Is there any quality that makes the Mobil 1 filter worth the extra cost?( Bosch Distance Plus $11.xx at Walmart and Mobil 1 Filter $12.99 at advance auto)

The Napa is a good choice and, depending on part number, many Fram Ultras are under $10 normal price at places like WalMart. Both of these are superior filters to the D+ or the M1 IMO.

Both the D+ and M1 are very similar cellulose blended filters, they are not full synthetic. There is very little to choose between them so go for the cheaper one if you are locked into them and only them.

DO NOT PAY THAT FOR EITHER OF THOSE FILTERS!! only buy those when they come on sale in a oil/oil filter deal at AAP/AZ etc. Go with the Napa Plat. or Fram ULTRA as those guys mentioned.

BTW both the Bosch D+ and M1 are very good filters as far as construction goes, just wait til they're on sale.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
The Napa is a good choice and, depending on part number, many Fram Ultras are under $10 normal price at places like WalMart. Both of these are superior filters to the D+ or the M1 IMO.

Both the D+ and M1 are very similar cellulose blended filters, they are not full synthetic. There is very little to choose between them so go for the cheaper one if you are locked into them and only them.

+1

If I pay more than $6-7 for a spin-on oil filter then Fram Ultra is at the top of my list. Otherwise Purolator Pure-1 is a good filter for up to 15k miles OCI(s)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2James1
Which do you prefer? Is there any quality that makes the Mobil 1 filter worth the extra cost?( Bosch Distance Plus $11.xx at Walmart and Mobil 1 Filter $12.99 at advance auto)

I tend to run Mobil symthetics. Late last year for both of my vehicles I bougjt the Pep Boys special which included 5 quarts of any Mobil syn plus the Mobil EP filterfor$30. I have gotten similar deals at AAP, Oreilly's and Autozone. I never pay full price for the filter but because I do yearly OCI's, I need an oil filter that will definitely go the distance and the two you mentioned would. Any with a synthetic media would as well. Moral of the story: don't pay full price for any oil filter.

No filter is worth $8+.

Above suggestions are great, my personal take:

Motorcraft for 3 - 10k OCI

Purolator PureOne or Fram Ultra for 10k - 15 OCI

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
No filter is worth $8+.

Above suggestions are great, my personal take:

Motorcraft for 3 - 10k OCI

Purolator PureOne or Fram Ultra for 10k - 15 OCI

Most cartridge oil filters for German engines are over $10-15, only "Made in China" cartridge filters are less than $7-8.

No, I never paid more than $6-7 for a spin on filter for my cars, and my FCI is once a year up to 14-15k miles.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Yes. Like many in this realm it's ~99% @ 20 um.

I did not realize that. At a current price of $7.xx it sure is Great deal. May I ask your source of that rating>

The Fram Ultra, Dont the Plastic by pass bother you ? Its the same bypass as in the Cheap Extra Gaurd... Why did not FRAM Improve it?

Also did you see the video of that guy with FRAM Ultra and when he shook the filter you could hear somthing inside broke?

Did you see the vid?

I agree the filter part is good but the bypass makes me same hmmmm

The bypass valve that FRAM uses is not "plastic", it's high temperature & oil resistant nylon and FRAM has tested it way beyond what it would experience in real world usage. Nothing to worry about with the bypass valve. There has been lots of talk about it here, and there is a video from FRAM that talks about the design and testing of their bypass valve.

At least for my vehicle, the NAPA Platinum, Part Number: 41334 was $12.49. The Mobil1-104 was $10.79. Bosch D+ was also more expensive. Mobil1 all the way.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1

BTW both the Bosch D+ and M1 are very good filters as far as construction goes, just wait til they're on sale.

I have the M1 and the D+ in my stash. There are two of each kind. I got them on sale for cheap on a pair of Pep Boys coupons. I must have paid no more than $7.00 for all four together.

I think the Fram Ultra, the best ones from NAPA, Bosch D+ and M1 are all in about the same league. The old Fram Extended Guard was almost as good as these, but is being phased out in favor or the Ultra.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
Originally Posted By: chubbs1

I have the M1 and the D+ in my stash. There are two of each kind. I got them on sale for cheap on a pair of Pep Boys coupons. I must have paid no more than $7.00 for all four together.

I think the Fram Ultra, the best ones from NAPA, Bosch D+ and M1 are all in about the same league. The old Fram Extended Guard was almost as good as these, but is being phased out in favor or the Ultra.

Not quite. Read up on the filter testing posted here recently. The m1 filter was average,the Bosch was a bit better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back