Liqui Moly 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up some liqui Moly 5w-30. I just tried a "search" for it, couldn't find anything too quickly. Is it quality? How is it related to threads with MoS2? Is there an abreviation for this oil I don't know about? I have a '96 Cobra in need of oil change, was considering putting it in, wanted opinions. Thanks alot.

Originally Posted By: RobbS
Is it quality? How is it related to threads with MoS2?

A very good company with top quality products IMO. They do also make the MoS2 but only use it in one of their oils off the shelf that I know of, a 10w40.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Everything lubro-moly makes is great.

You're reaching, my friend. Many of their oils have rather mediocre specifications and cost a lot more than their competition here in America.

Which version of their 5w30? They have several. Most Liqui-Moly products are European "heavy duty" products of the ACEA A3 variety. They are slightly thicker than originally specified for your mod-motor, but should perform well. All L-M products are of good quality.

Originally Posted By: dparm

You're reaching, my friend. Many of their oils have rather mediocre specifications and cost a lot more than their competition here in America.

I agree with dparm, I think it is the fact it is "made in Germany" or something that makes it seem special. You will save money and probably have a better oil/add-pack with a major brand "syn" like PP, M1/M1EP, Edge FST. Good luck either way.

Made In Germany does make it Special. Im a huge fan of Motul and LiquiMoly. There are four or five 5w-30 formulations that LiquiMoly currently has. If it were going in one of my Jeep 4.0s, I would use either 0w-40 LongLife Plus or LowFriction MOs2 10w-40. If it were Motul it would be either 300V 0w-40 Trophy or 300V 10w-40 Chronic, I mean Chrono. Our Syns cant even come close to theirs. What, AMSOIL, 1972..!? Maby Mobil 1, 1974 was a Good Year!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Originally Posted By: dparm

I agree with dparm, I think it is the fact it is "made in Germany" or something that makes it seem special. You will save money and probably have a better oil/add-pack with a major brand "syn" like PP, M1/M1EP, Edge FST. Good luck either way.

I assume there is data to back that up,or just opinion. Have you used any of the products in question or are you commenting based on no experience.
If the latter then do tell exactly how would would even know.

I have Used LiquiMoly 5w-40 in various vehicles, and Motul Motorcycle oils in Honda 4 strokes. They are Exotic, OK. They have a HIGHer Quality to them. Europe DOES hold a HIGHer standard to Motor oils produced there.

Last edited:
So long as it is not a low SAPS version, all is good for your application.
thumbsup2.gif
Liqui Moly blend quality lubricants.

Sounds good, I guess. I stopped by the NAPPA hoping I remembered seeing Amsoil & Redline there. Picked up this-
Liqui Moly 5W-30. Says: Top Tech 4200 Lomglife III

Liqui-moly and lubro-moly are the same thing if anyone is wondering. They are labelled different between the us and Canada.
Regardless they are actually labeled synthetic in Germany. Fwtw.

Originally Posted By: RobbS
Sounds good, I guess. I stopped by the NAPPA hoping I remembered seeing Amsoil & Redline there. Picked up this-
Liqui Moly 5W-30. Says: Top Tech 4200 Lomglife III

That (and the entire Top Tec line) is low SAPS. More than likely, it is not compatible with the gas you're using due to sulfur content. It meets ACEA A3-04/B4-04/C3-04, VW 504 00/507 00, MB Sheet 229.51, BMW Longlife-04 and Porsche C30.

I would suggest Leichtlauf (or Low-Friction) Special F 5W-30 for ACEA A5/B5 or Special LL 5W-30 if you want ACEA A3/B4 approval.

Lubro-Moly changed their name to Liqui-Moly for the North American market a couple of years ago. They are one of the premier oil blenders in Europe. Over here it's a boutique oil. I have used it when I got a screamin' deal at AAP on 5L jugs of 10W-40 M0S2 for a VW TDI Jetta. It ran well, but honestly couldn't tell any difference in economy or performance vs. a syn 5W-40 HDEO. BTW, the MoS2 will cause the oil to be gray in color out of the jug, but I don't know how much the extra moly helps.

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
I have Used LiquiMoly 5w-40 in various vehicles, and Motul Motorcycle oils in Honda 4 strokes. They are Exotic, OK. They have a HIGHer Quality to them. Europe DOES hold a HIGHer standard to Motor oils produced there.

This is the crux of the argument. Motul makes many performance, application specific lubes. Heck, the only place I see it here is in some Japanese bike shops. Liqui Moly stuff tends to have European ratings. Do they even make an SN/GF-5 lubricant?

Their mineral oils are, by North American standards, awful, at least for new vehicles. SF/CD is unacceptable here, and has been for many, many years. Straight grades aren't any better. Those examples might be great for classic vehicles, but I'd hate to see the price in North America. They might beat Joe Gibbs in price, but perhaps not.

As for their high quality products, let's look at their real competition. Liqui Moly isn't competing against PYB, PP, GTX, or Mobil Super. Their real competition includes things like M1 0w-40, GC, Castrol Professional series, PU European versions, Valvoline European synthetics, Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5w-30, and so forth. That's some pretty solid competition.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Do they even make an SN/GF-5 lubricant?

Leichtlauf Special AA 5W-30

Given the fact that Liqui Moly's main markets are Europe, Russia, Central/East Asia and the Middle East, they have little reason to be concerned about API and ILSAC approvals - which, with all due respect, are uncomparable to tougher ACEA specifications.

Considering the size of the company, their main focus is on quality lubricants and approvals for their focus markets, which are not exactly cheap. Flagship products, such as their Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40, tend to be first in line for new approvals and those tend to be European specs (ACEA, BMW, VW, Mercedes, etc.), given that is their main market.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Given the fact that Liqui Moly's main markets are Europe, Russia, Central/East Asia and the Middle East, they have little reason to be concerned about API and ILSAC approvals - which, with all due respect, are uncomparable to tougher ACEA specifications.

That's basically my point. They have as much incentive to provide several lines of SN/GF-5 lubricants as the Canadian Co-ops would to provide a full line of European PCMOs. It's not fair to compare anything except products designed for the same applications.

And of course, they are at a disadvantage in North America from a price standpoint. North America is certainly not their primary market, as you indicate, if they wanted to change that, they're already way, way behind on the distribution side of things in comparison to Ashland, Mobil, SOPUS, and Castrol products.

Well, got the Luiqui Moly 5W-30 in her & topped it off with a M1 0W-20 quart. Used a M1 oil filter again.
*How can you tell physically by looking at a used oil filter if the bypass is stuck open or anti-drain back valve diaphragm is broken?
Sometimes I look down into the oil filter and the rubber diaphram you can see through the circle of oil flow "entry" holes is no longer flush with the "entry" holes.
ANYONE ELSE??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back