Help Me Pick the best VW 504/507 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have rounded up all the candidates for my new 2013 Passat TDI Comfortline oil change. I am not saving much between any of these brands. The biggest difference is maybe $5. So it is up to the BEST oil to use for this engine. Also, all VW 504/507 oils are 5W30. Nevertheless, the candidates are:

1) Castrol SLX Professional LL03 - VW Dealership OEM oil
~$9.82 + tax per 1L

2) LiquiMoly TOP TEC 4200 - NAPA USA pick-up
~$45.99 + tax per 5L

3) Total Quartz INEO - Local EURO shop
~$45.99 + tax per 5L

4) Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W30 - Amazon purchase
~$45.85 + tax per 6Quart

5) Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 - Pepboys (most expensive and never on sale)
~$12.89 + tax per 1L

6) Pentosin Super Performance III - idparts.com
~$49.99 no tax but shipping ($10)

Also help me choose a filter (cartrige) with this engine:
1) MANN 03L115562 OEM FILTER - idparts ~$8.90
2) WIX 57262 AFTERMARKET - Rockauto ~$9.30

Thanks for your input. I will be stocking up on whatever is highest recommended upon. Except the Castrol, if that is the best oil for my purposes then I will just buy it as needed from my local dealer.

The car will be drivin something like 60% highway and 40% local. It is located in Southern Ontario in Toronto, Canada.

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
PU is that good huh? Coincidentally it is also the cheapest oil... weird. I have read elsewhere that the base stock for the PU is better than all the other ones I have listed.

The OCI will be 15k KM as per VW Canada instructions and I will be doing it myself at home. I think the engine has a sump of 4.5L.

The liqui moly 4200 is a verry good oil. Also keep in mind it is devoloped for the european and mainly german homemarket where dieselengines are more used.

Mann/VW filter and PU. Just picked up a new TDI because I missed my old one so much. PU looks like a winner and definitely a good deal on amazon. It will be what I use when I need to change.

The liqui moly is the most used brand in germany. And the one with most satisfied costummers(if thats worth anything)

I also picked up another TDI (2013 6M JSW) after selling the previous (2011 6M JSW) and going through withdrawals. I had used Motul's 504/507 Specific for the 123k on the 2011 for the duration of my ownership and was pleased. The 2013 will get mostly the ESP and the remaining 25 liters of Motul.

What about Valvoline SynPower, MST, for European cars?

Is that another quality oil approved by VW standard 504/507 for your vehicle?

You could pick this up for a good deal when Valvoline SynPower goes on a "monthly oi special as long as it meets the VW requirement.

BTY....I've seen it on the shelf at WM in quarts only.

Last edited:
I think the MST 5w30 is approved, but it is one heck of an oil to find. I mean I wouldn't know where to start looking. The ones I listed were hard enough to find.

This one is not the right one as it is 5W40. All VW 507 are 5W30. Also, neither the 5W40 or 5W30 synpower that amazon sells is approved for VW 504/507

Originally Posted By: Anikiri
This one is not the right one as it is 5W40. All VW 507 are 5W30. Also, neither the 5W40 or 5W30 synpower that amazon sells is approved for VW 504/507

From your choices, I'd use the Total Quartz.

My choices would be the Motul or Amsoil AEL.

This would be costly:

MST Valvoline

Last edited:
You'd be surprised what distributors have in their warehouse, They may have that MST 5w-30 in their warehouse in 4L or 1L bottles, you never know.

VALVOLINE OFFICE
Valvoline Canada
Street Address: 905 Winston Churchill Boulevard
City, State/Prov. ZIP: Mississauga, Ontario L5J 4P2
Primary Phone: (905) 823-4701
Fax: (905) 823-3843

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: montero1
You'd be surprised what distributors have in their warehouse, They may have that MST 5w-30 in their warehouse in 4L or 1L bottles, you never know.

VALVOLINE OFFICE
Valvoline Canada
Street Address: 905 Winston Churchill Boulevard
City, State/Prov. ZIP: Mississauga, Ontario L5J 4P2
Primary Phone: (905) 823-4701
Fax: (905) 823-3843

Awesome!!! I'll give them a ring to see what they got. Thanks a bunch!

Originally Posted By: Anikiri
5) Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 - Pepboys (most expensive and never on sale)
~$12.89 + tax per 1L

Good gravy. Call your imperial oil distributor. He should be able to get you the Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 for at the very minimum $3 per litre cheaper than that.

As for filters, check Autopartsway's Canadian website. They won't beat Rock Auto's price in all likelihood, but shipping will be less of an issue. They will sell Mann, Mahle, Hengst, and German Bosch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back