Carb cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son has a 2001 Honda 70 dirt bike, unfortunately I haven't started it in about a year; I thought I treated the fuel with PRI-G, but according to the smell of bad fuel, I didn't.

I wasn't getting fuel through the carb so I pulled the bottom of the carb off and blew air through the carb both ways. This allowed fuel to flow, but the carb still isn't right. When I attempt to rev it at full-throttle, it stumbles. I've allowed it to run for quite some time and it showed improvement but it still isn't right.

Is there anything available that is worth the money in removing varnish from the carb without tearing it apart? I'm looking for something I can put in the fuel and run if such a thing exists.

Berrymans Chemtool, available everywhere. Put about 3-4 oz in a full tank in this application (small tank).

It will take a little while work but you can drain the carb and fill straight Chemtool down the line to fill the carb and let it sit overnight then drain before starting.
Use the product in the fuel tank also.

Edit: If you fill the carb with it kick it through closed throttle with the ign off a few times.

Last edited:
I would try some Amsoil Quickshot and Power Foam, both have cleaned up many of my issues.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Berrymans Chemtool, available everywhere. Put about 3-4 oz in a full tank in this application (small tank).

It will take a little while work but you can drain the carb and fill straight Chemtool down the line to fill the carb and let it sit overnight then drain before starting.
Use the product in the fuel tank also.

Edit: If you fill the carb with it kick it through closed throttle with the ign off a few times.

+1 - in all the years that I used it, Berryman never once met varnish it could not remove
grin.gif

Well it runs but stumbles so it might be saveable. Chemtool is a cheap but usually effective additive for that.

Redline's fuel system cleaner is also pretty good. Uses PEA's instead of solvents like Chemtool.

I have managed to get a motorcycle or atv running with chemicals but have always resorted to a tear down and a thorough cleaning as a rule.

The main jet is partially clogged resulting in stumbling at/near WOT.

All I can say is remove the carb, bowl and take the main jet and soak it in gasoline and maybe hit it with the straw then compressed air. I would not run a wire through it because I heard brass is soft and it is a fine metering device so you don't want to gouge it.

Don't you hate how the lack of a couple of bucks and a few minutes of preventive maintenance causes so much ruckus when its time to ride.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

Don't you hate how the lack of a couple of bucks and a few minutes of preventive maintenance causes so much ruckus when its time to ride.

So true.

The problem is, I'm OCD with my preventative maintenance even down to my weedeater and leaf blower. This one just fell through the cracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back