Millers Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that enjoy tribologists and their kin, the oily experts, duking it out, I am glad there is a place to play dueling minds...REALLY. For me, debate to this level is superfluous...the UOA tells the tale. I seriously doubt that one who knows enough about oil to intelligently select a few potential candidates for "an oil to stay with" will do harm to his engine while refining that choice through UOAs. For those that don't have enough knowledge to even do that, the debate is useless. I do realize the ultimate proof lies in tearing down the engine...but I will pass on that one. It is a lot of "bandwidth" to use for a larger group for whom the debate creates an "on to the next thread" decision.

Last edited:
Hi pscholte,

I don't use UOA at all to select the oil I want to use.
An OP and oil temp' gauge tells me all I need to know to select the correct viscosity, whether an oil shears in service or if fuel dilution occurs.
A UOA is really just to determine ultimately how long an oil can stay in service if you want to maximize you oil drain interval.
If you don't push the OCI then for the most part UOAs are just entertainment.

Thanks for the input Caterham. I appreciate it. I want to make sure I understand what you did or didn't say between the lines. Are you implying that wear metals are either inconsequential or cannot reliably be determined through a UOA? That would be something I have never considered.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pscholte
Thanks for the input Caterham. I appreciate it. I want to make sure I understand what you did or didn't say between the lines. Are you implying that wear metals are either inconsequential or cannot reliably be determined through a UOA? That would be something I have never considered.

He's not saying either. He's saying at shorter OCIs, wear metals will be very no matter what oil your running so a UOA is worthless unless you've got an underlying problem.

The main difference between oils (at short OCIs) will show up in the oil pressure and oil temperature.

Copy...thanks s_s After reading your post and re-reading Caterham's, the meaning was obvious. Again, thanks.

pscholte, high wear metals can be an indicator of a potential problem particularly if it is a major increase from previous UOA results; i.e., a break from what's normal.
And even if it's just one UOA, it could prompt use to look deeper into what's going on, such as is the silicon level high as well indicating poor air filtration? I always look at the drained oil for any evidence of metallic "sparklies" or even bits of metal.
Even cut open the oil filter canister.

The thing is, even a good UOA is no guarantee that something isn't amiss with the engine. I've also never seen conclusive evidence that one motor oil brand is better than another based on UOA. A few ppm difference, even if it is consistent over many UOAs and different vehicles as was the case with M1 a couple of years ago wouldn't be enough for me to be concerned. It's still just noise which could be from chemical etching of primarily none wear surfaces that is showing up in the UOAs, you just don't know.

A UOA will tell you if an oil is still serviceable, any fuel dilution, presence of anti-freeze, poor air filtration and the amount of kinematic oil shear and if you order a KV40 test as well any loss of VI.

I would join the (seemingly requisite on here) UOA bandwagon IF there existed an analysis company which was; highly accurate, reliable, and precise in their results, and NOT 'all over the place' on the same exact oil (even for VOAs) as most are on here.
frown.gif

Until then, I will instead just put my coin into what I consider the most premium oils I can get, the 'austereists' be d****d!!
wink.gif

Thanks to both of you for the insights. I of all people know how easy to become infatuated with an oil (GC) even though a lot of what I wrote about it was for fun...e.g. the Elves, the Black Forest etc. I will stand by the fact that I believe it was an excellent formulation, hence its staying power with updates. I do find myself drawn to the Euro oils even though your comments, taken to one logical conclusion, point to the fact that over an automobile's lifetime, the difference between using a Shell Helix or Total Quartz or Mobil 1 or Castrol with liquid titanium is negligible. In a well maintained vehicle they will all get you to six digits even if they produce slightly different UOA results. Having said all that, I still don't mind getting caught up in a little hype.

Last edited:
pscholte, I too was caught up in the GC phenomenon and stocked up on "Green" GC when it was replaced by "Gold" GC which we just new couldn't be as good!
GC was "special" because it was a true PAO/complex ester based oil with a 0W rating. The higher VI M1 0W-40 was also PAO based but wasn't as shear stable as GC so most of us still favoured GC. Then M1 got better (more shear stable) and heavier (higher HTHSV) and GC remained unchanged plus it didn't have all the cert's that M1 acquired being the OEM oil to so many high end car manufacturers.

I now prefer M1 0W-40 for it's higher VI to GC since it's actually lighter on start-up at temp's up to 75F.

Originally Posted By: 67King
I'll be honest, I think a high VI is WAY overstated. I know some people look at that as the single criterion for whether or not they use an oil. When the term was created, it was on a scale of 0-100. Now we have companies claiming VI's of 200?

Why do I not like that as a single criterion? I don't like the trade-offs.

I know Red Line was mentioned, and I'll get back to that. But I've got Mobil 1 0W50 info, as well. And obviously, a 0W50 will have a higher VI than a 0W40, since is it just the KV at 40C versus KV at 100C. The resultant VI is 186.

So, how do they get it so high? Base stocks? Nope. Ester and PAO base stocks peak in the 160's. So to get such a high VI, you absolutely MUST use viscometrics. So what is the big issue with that? Two things. What is the HTHS of 0W50? 3.8. Now let's compare that with the Millers' 10W50. Its VI is "only" 173. But, its HTHS is a minimum 5.1.

Why is that? Because Millers' philosophy is to obtain VI as much as possible through base stocks.

What is another effect? Someone was talking OCI. For Mobil 1 0W50, Mobil 1 claims you may be able to get 500 miles or more out of the oil (http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Racing_Oil_FAQs.aspx#FAQs3)

"What is the drain interval with Mobil 1 Racing 0W-50?

Oil drain intervals in racing conditions can vary widely. Depending on specific racing applications and conditions, intervals of 500 miles or more are attainable."

Why might it only be good for 500 miles? What are the failure modes? Primarily, it will either lose viscosity, or it will become acidic. We know that there are some race oils out there that become acidic. Ca content in those is around 650ppm. But for Mobil 1, it is 2500. That's a pretty robust additive amount to prevent the onset of acidity. So in all likelihood, its failure mode is that the viscosity improvers break down. If you read the link I provided for the Millers, after 1700 race miles, the viscosity was still very robust. Oh, and again, that HTHS thing - the 5W40 is 4.4, which exceeds the HTHS of the Mobil 1 0W50, which is 3.8. Lower weight oil, higher HTHS.

That said, I'm not trying to pick on Mobil 1. It was just an example of the tradeoffs you get when you look only at VI. That may be a worthwhile tradeoff to some people, but in a race application, it is NOT a worthwhile tradeoff to me.

So where does the MObil 1 0W50 outperform the Millers 10W50? Pour point. Cold crank viscosity. But in places where it gets really, really cold, won't you be running a thinner oil, anyway? So there, I'd be wondering again why VI is as important as the pour points, coldcrank viscosity, etc. But as for protection at startup, which is why you are after a low cold viscosity, I'd refer to the above charts. The NT offers a level and type of protection that is unattainable with typical oils. It serves almost as a solid lubricant.

Another thing that comes into play is how well the oil sticks around. A question was asked about CF for Red Line (presumably that is what RL meant). We've measured a few, not all, of our competitors. Red Line is one we've measured. Its CF is about 70% higher than Millers at operating temperature. But what is really scary is how poor the oil film is. You can go here and look at several competitors. Red Line is one of the ones there, I'm not going to label which one. A few competitors fared much better than Red Line. http://performanceracingoils.com/dynofriction-ezp-9.html

A quick note about these measurements. They were taken on a HFRR machine. THe reason is because the CF referenced here is only for boundary conditions, which the HFRR measures. When you've got an oil film established, the only friction is viscous, meaning that viscosity is really the dominant factor. The oil film measurement is done resistively, from 0 conductance (100% oil film) to 100% conductance (0% oil film).

So where does this come into play with cold start? Again, protection. I do not know for certain why the oil film is so poor. Generally, ester is polar, so it should help. Red Line has tons of ester, too much by some considerations, yet its performance was on par with another colorful competitor who uses zero ester (these are race oils, so it uses a lot of PAO). I believe, though I can't say for certain, that it is because of the ZDDP in Red Line. The ZDDP content in Red Line is about 2200ppm, which is almost twice as high as most race engine builders we've talk to think is ideal. Ester is polar, zinc is polar. They fight each other for surface area. So what I think happens is that the high levels of zinc impede the ester from getting surface area, which is why the film strength is so poor.

So what does this have to do with start up protection? Well, again, I'm stating my theory here, but a healthy film will be indicative of the oil sticking to the metal, and if it sticks better, it will hang around longer, giving you better protection while waiting for the oil to flow through the engine.

Great information, thank you. I also believe Redline has some serious deficiencies.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
pscholte, I too was caught up in the GC phenomenon and stocked up on "Green" GC when it was replaced by "Gold" GC which we just new couldn't be as good!
GC was "special" because it was a true PAO/complex ester based oil with a 0W rating. The higher VI M1 0W-40 was also PAO based but wasn't as shear stable as GC so most of us still favoured GC. Then M1 got better (more shear stable) and heavier (higher HTHSV) and GC remained unchanged plus it didn't have all the cert's that M1 acquired being the OEM oil to so many high end car manufacturers.

I now prefer M1 0W-40 for it's higher VI to GC since it's actually lighter on start-up at temp's up to 75F.

Really appreciate your posts. A belated Happy Canada Day...and Happy Birthday America.

How does a base oil give you VI? Most base oils max out at 150

A 550 VI formulation doesn't give you the magic pill either. Plus Low VI can be useful in bearings.

Last nugget is that many Diesel engines have nanotechnology in the oil after a few miles. It's called soot
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Plus Low VI can be useful in bearings.

I'm not one who seeks the highest VI possible. Further, there are "good" ways to get a higher VI and "bad" ways. However, there is absolutely no usefulness in having a low VI.

From a purely numerical and physical standpoint, the lower the VI, the more useless the lubricant is, period. Change in viscosity over temperature has been the enemy in lubricant design since the internal combustion engine was introduced.

A specific low VI lubricant may have certain advantages (i.e. lack of VIIs may impart shear resistance), but such advantages are decidedly not because of the low viscosity index in the first place.

Straight grades are virtually dead for a reason. If anyone isn't sure, they're free to try an SAE 50 in a Saskatchewan winter, or a straight 10w or 20w in a Death Valley summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back