'07 BMW Z4. 18 months, 10k, Mobil 1 0w-40/Rotella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackstone Comments:

This first sample from your recently purchased Z4 looks pretty good next to universal averages.
They show typical wear for this type of BMW engine after about 7,500 miles on the oil. You ran much longer
and copper read higher than average, showing a little more wear at brass/bronze parts, but not enough to
cause any serious concern. It could be residual from the last fill too. We'll see how trends develop. No contamination was found in this sample of 10W/40. The TBN was strong at 3.0 since 1.0 or less is low. Try going 12,000 miles next and check back.

Oil: 6 quarts Mobil 1 0w-40, 1 quart Rotella T6 5w-40 (AAP only had 6 quarts Mobil 1)
Filter: Mann
Make-up oil: None
Miles on oil: 10k
Miles on car: 21k
Time on oil: 18 Months
Engine: 3.0 SI

ALUMINUM 10
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 13
COPPER 22
LEAD 1
TIN 1
MOLYBDENUM 106
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 4
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 7
BORON 93
SILICON 5
SODIUM 6
CALCIUM 2872
MAGNESIUM 198
PHOSPHORUS 987
ZINC 1150
BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 69.2
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 12.74
Flashpoint in °F 400
Fuel % .5
Antifreeze % 0
Insolubles % .1
TBN 3.0
WATER% 0

I purchased this car in 12/'11 with 9,700 miles on it and ran it to 11k. Ran some engine flush through it, as it had a tick in the top end after sitting a while in the cold. Haven't heard the tick since that oil change, runs smooth as can be. Refilled this time with Amsoil EFM (7 quarts LOL) and another Mann filter.

Last edited:
You should run at least two OCs with the same oil before doing UOAs.

Last edited:
confused.gif

Looks fine. 7 qts is a good amount of oil for a 10k mile interval. Tbn is still good.

Originally Posted By: montero1
confused.gif

what he means is that a single pass doesn't tell you anything. UOA's are for trending on x-brand/type of oil.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted By: montero1
confused.gif

what he means is that a single pass doesn't tell you anything. UOA's are for trending on x-brand/type of oil.

Says who? Personally, since this car was new to me, I wanted to see if there were any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back