need advice on shock absorbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm going to be changing shocks on my '96 ford bronco with quad front suspension soon.

i'm looking for a softer, smooth ride. most of my driving is on secondary roads (lots of pot holes) and dirt roads with a good bit of wash board and ruts. not into hard core four wheeling.

just want a non jarring ride.

a little research shows that most folks think that KYB gas-a-just shocks are a bit harsh.

so, i have been checking out monroes.

between the two, which would give me the best ride for my application?

sensa-trac or reflex?

appreciate any advice.

thanks.

I have replaced several sets of shocks/struts, and monroe are typically softer than KYB. I'm no suspension guru, but they seems to be more compliant.

But... they all seems to wear out faster than I would like. I try to replace shocks/struts when I feel they stop performing as they should, make noise, or leak. This usually happens at the 50-60k mark. I do alot of fwy driving.

The point: may want to look into some higher quality replacements if you have the budget.

I have Bilsteins and they do give a very firm ride. A lot of people would classify the ride as jarring so I suggest you stay away from them. Many people state Sensen shocks are the hot ticket. Good luck

Rancho RS5000s are freakin' awesome for my Cherokee, which sees ruts, potholes, washboards, dirt, gravel, rocks, trees, pavement and concrete. I like them WAAAAY better than gas shocks.

i bought the truck used and it has rancho shocks all the way around.

not sure of the exact type but they are past their prime.

right now, i'm leaning towards the sensa-trac's.

btw: justsuspension.com is a good place to look.
good prices and free shipping.

bilstien's from what I remember from my truck... have a valving system that auto adjusts.

so its firm on pavement maybe abit to firm on say.. giant expansion joints..

but offroad its more cushy on the big bumps.

The rancho 9000's I had were also ok but I blew 2 sets in 2 years so bleh. The front winch probably didnt help with that.

Bilstein 4600 is a great choice.

If not, go with Monroe Sensa-Trac. The Reflex line is like KYB's Gas-a-just and probably just as harsh.

Don't know about for trucks, but at least for my euro cars, they seem to have their "HD" range, which is the standard yellow tube version, and then a "black" one that is more compliant.

Realistically, a TTB Ford is never going to have a "softer" or "smoother" ride. While it may be independent, the TTB is still just as heavy as a solid axle (and unevenly distributed). With that much unsprung weight being slung around, it's not easy to control. That's why they offered it with the quad shock system.

Trying to change an inherent characteristic of the suspension will only drain your wallet. If you want a truck that floats over potholes and washboard roads, buy a Ford Raptor.

For a full size Bronco, I'd stick with Bilstein HD. High quality, monotube, fantastic reputation, and a lifetime warranty (that you'll never need to use). Don't confuse a "jarring" ride with a "well controlled" ride. A lack of dampening will result in a far more jarring ride than too much dampening.

Also, while you're down under the front of the truck, take a really close look at all the bushings. The twin beams and the radius arms have a number of bushing that *do* wear out. It will never ride nicely with worn bushings.

Originally Posted By: chaindrive
i'm going to be changing shocks on my '96 ford bronco with quad front suspension soon.

i'm looking for a softer, smooth ride. most of my driving is on secondary roads (lots of pot holes) and dirt roads with a good bit of wash board and ruts. not into hard core four wheeling.

just want a non jarring ride.

a little research shows that most folks think that KYB gas-a-just shocks are a bit harsh.

so, i have been checking out monroes.

between the two, which would give me the best ride for my application?

sensa-trac or reflex?

appreciate any advice.

thanks.

You need to throw the Gabriel Ultras into the pot and stir.

EXCELLENT on our fleet trucks, durable, and a great price point. Worthy of consideration.

bilsteins just got put at the top of my list.

a little pricey but buy once, cry once.

what's my best bet, the 4600 series?

Originally Posted By: chaindrive
bilsteins just got put at the top of my list.

a little pricey but buy once, cry once.

what's my best bet, the 4600 series?

Bilstein are good shocks. No argument.

The Monroe Reflex you talked of in your original post however are a really good shock too. I would run them over Bilsteins as the Bilsteins have a rougher ride in my experience. They are "stiffer".

I believe you were looking for a smoother, softer, everyday ride right? If so the Reflex gets my vote. They are an excellent shock for trucks and suv's that are not seriously off roaded. Very good on road manners.

Note - Rancho and Monroe are the same company and share technology. In the Rancho line I believe the Reflex is called the RSX. Been a while since I did much with shocks so it may be a different line but I believe it is RSX that is basically the same as the Reflex. Get whichever is cheaper if you go this route.

Last edited:
The difference between a cheap shock and a good shock is how long they last.

Bilstein's are at least 100k mile shocks if not a lot longer. I know some in Mercedes with over 200k still doing OK.

Less expensive shocks wear out faster.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
The difference between a cheap shock and a good shock is how long they last.

Bilstein's are at least 100k mile shocks if not a lot longer. I know some in Mercedes with over 200k still doing OK.

Less expensive shocks wear out faster.

No one is arguing that Bilsteins are good shocks or that they will last a long time. The issue being Bilsteins will give a rougher ride which is not what the OP wants. The Monroe Reflex shocks are excellent shocks as well and last a long time just like the Bilsteins. They will give the OP the ride he wants however(IMO). They have a Lifetime warranty as well.

Last edited:
The Bilsteins must vary a bunch as the OEM's on my one Silverado are excellent in ride quality. At 100k miles I removed one and it felt just like a new shock, still had gas charge, etc.

The SRT8 also has Bilsteins on the front OEM and they are still excellent after 5+ years and many hard miles. They are reputed to outlast the car.

I cannot question their durability.

But their aftermarket shocks are almost universally reviewed as very tight, firm riding, etc. I sure hope they're not like the Edelbrocks I bought for my old Ram, those were WAY too stiff!

FWIW the truck will always ride rough, that is the nature of the suspension.

Something interesting, the new Raptors are actually the smoothest riding of the current F150 offerings due to the long suspension travel and the Fox Shox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back