'08 Goldwing. Mobil 1 4T 10w-40 10k, 21 Months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil: Mobil 1 4T 10w-40
Filter: Mobil 1 M-108
Makeup oil : None
Time in Service: 21 months
Miles in Service: 10,000 miles
Miles on Motorcycle: 34,000

Blackstone comments:
This oil was in use just shy of the two year mark and this sample shows your engine handled the run pretty well. Aluminum was the only element that read a little high, but it's right in line with what we've been seeing from your Honda's engine, so it's probably not a major concern. It typically comes from pistons, but it could be from other aluminum parts as well. The oil itself held up well and wasn't contaminated.Insolubles were low at 0.2%, showing good oil filtration and the TBN was strong at 3.4. You could shoot for 12,000 miles next. We'll watch aluminum.

ALUMINUM 14
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 28
COPPER 16
LEAD 1
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 75
NICKEL 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
MANGANESE 1
BORON 91

SILICON 14
SODIUM 8
CALCIUM 2528
MAGNESIUM 38
PHOSPHORUS 1168
ZINC 1423
BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 71.2
CSt Viscosity @ 100°C 13.28
Flashpoint in °F 410
Fuel % .5
Antifreeze % 0
Insolubles % .2
TBN 3.4
WATER% 0

Not sure about the comments about the Aluminum, they're in line with the last 3 Analyses....

The last run was with Amsoil 10w-40, the TBN was 4.6 after 2 yrs, 10,000 miles.

Refilled with Bel Ray EXS Ester, K&N Oil Filter.

Originally Posted By: montero1
They are, but there is a lot of aggressive riding in those miles.

Is it legal to use the words goldwing and aggressive in the same thread?

I kid, I kid.

Save your money and run Rotella in that two wheeled Cadillac.

for about 10+ years now i have been laughing at the stoners remarks.

alum of 14 in 10k miles is nothing to even blink at
especially when you have iron and copper higher.
both of which i would want to compare to similar miles uoa.

susvis was awesome for that many miles!
flash of 410 makes me think their fuel reading is off (high) and that its really closer to zero. more so because of that susvis being so good.

honestly, dont change a thing. 2years and 10k miles. sample again in 2 birthdays!

steve

Last edited:
Im impressed viscosity held up so well, honestly thats the reason I send my oil off for testing, almost the only reason since I change so often and always before the recommended change interval.

Im more impressed that the goldwing does have a shared sump with the transmission as a lot of metric bikes? Am I missing something here or is that correct?

If so, for fun, I very well may try M-1 one day to see what happens to it in a Vstar 1300.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Im impressed viscosity held up so well, honestly thats the reason I send my oil off for testing, almost the only reason since I change so often and always before the recommended change interval.

Im more impressed that the goldwing does have a shared sump with the transmission as a lot of metric bikes? Am I missing something here or is that correct?

If so, for fun, I very well may try M-1 one day to see what happens to it in a Vstar 1300.

I had an 1100 v-star. M1 got really notchy shifting really quick,1500kms or so. I had to stand on the shifter to downshift it was so bad and stomp hard to up shift. Never had that problem with rotella conventional.

Blackstone comments:
This oil was in use just shy of the two year mark and this sample shows your engine handled the run pretty well. Aluminum was the only element that read a little high, but it's right in line with what we've been seeing from your Honda's engine, so it's probably not a major concern. It typically comes from pistons, but it could be from other aluminum parts as well. The oil itself held up well and wasn't contaminated.Insolubles were low at 0.2%, showing good oil filtration and the TBN was strong at 3.4. You could shoot for 12,000 miles next. We'll watch aluminum.

ALUMINUM 14
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 28
COPPER 16
LEAD 1
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 75
NICKEL 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
MANGANESE 1
BORON 91

SILICON 14
SODIUM 8
CALCIUM 2528
MAGNESIUM 38
PHOSPHORUS 1168
ZINC 1423
BARIUM 0

Flashpoint in °F 410
Fuel % .5
Antifreeze % 0
Insolubles % .2
TBN 3.4
WATER% 0

Not sure about the comments about the Aluminum, they're in line with the last 3 Analyses....

With a positive experience like this why change oil brands/type???

Originally Posted By: loneryder

Because the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, and BITOGers are some of the most fickle cattle known to exist ...

Virgin Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40 starts at 13.2 CSt 100C. Are we to believe there was virtually zero shear in this run? Can it be true? Goldwing's are shared sump, yes?

goldwings are some of the easiest motorhomes on oil.
m1 is known to thicken up as well, so yes it is very possible.
in most other applications you wont see this, but in there, it is more than plausable.

What do you expect? It's like half of a Honda CVIC, 30% of the weight and slightly more engine displacement.

grin.gif

Gold_Wing.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: loneryder

Blackstone comments:

ALUMINUM 14
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 28
COPPER 16
LEAD 1
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 75
NICKEL 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
MANGANESE 1
BORON 91

SILICON 14
SODIUM 8
CALCIUM 2528
MAGNESIUM 38
PHOSPHORUS 1168
ZINC 1423
BARIUM 0

Flashpoint in °F 410
Fuel % .5
Antifreeze % 0
Insolubles % .2
TBN 3.4
WATER% 0

Just trying to see if any of them "feel" different as far as shifting, and if so, how long that "feeling" lasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back