List of 100% synthetic oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have a grouping of 100% synthetic media filters?

R U Bitogers fans of Royal Purple filters? looked pretty good to me on boobtube.

I'm curious, I have never had an oil filter / oil related failure in the 40+ years I have been driving, I keep my cars over 10 years each and use OEM filters. What is the infatuation with synthetic fibers in the filters lately (Not just you of course)? Are you trying to do a super long oci?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: johnachak
I'm curious, I have never had an oil filter / oil related failure in the 40+ years I have been driving, I keep my cars over 10 years each and use OEM filters. What is the infatuation with synthetic fibers in the filters lately (Not just you of course)? Are you trying to do a super long oci?

I think it is more or less a "fashion statement" people try to make when using these filters.

The vast majority of users of synthetic filters don't maximize it's intended use.

RP are great filters, but nothing special compared to other synthetic filters. They're made by Champ Labs, which also makes the same filter under other brand names. The only thing different about the RP filters is the color. I have a few on hand for my 4 wheeler, but only because I found them cheap on ebay. I'd never pay what auto parts stores are asking for them. The best value for a synthetic filter is probably the Fram Ultra at Walmart.

Filter manufactures try to increase their revenue and profit. Even the standard/el-cheapo filter is more than adequate for 7-8k miles in a clean engine, but the profit from those filters is so little for them. With more car manufactures are recommending synthetic oil, filter manufactures try to cash in with "Synthetic Filter" to go with synthetic oil.

I'm curious, I have never had an oil filter / oil related failure in the 40+ years I have been driving, I keep my cars over 10 years each and use OEM filters. What is the infatuation with synthetic fibers in the filters lately (Not just you of course)?

I personally like the idea of a steel mesh/sprayed filter material and feel the quality and trapping ability of dirt etc is superior. These filters will be the norm in a few years....old style works fine, new style is just advancement in design.

I've never had a oil related failure either but oil keeps evolving why shouldn't oil filters?

Synthetic Filter:

Royal Purple
Amsoil EA
Wix XP
Fram Ultra
Napa Platinum
Purolator Synthetic
Some TRD filters
Donaldson Endurance (Not for passenger cars)
Baldwin (same as Donaldson)

Also if you plan on keeping your car a LONG time there are re-usable stainless steel filters that don't exactly fit in the synthetic category but are worth a look, especially if you like the chrome look for your bay.

Did i miss any?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Filter manufactures try to increase their revenue and profit. Even the standard/el-cheapo filter is more than adequate for 7-8k miles in a clean engine, but the profit from those filters is so little for them. With more car manufactures are recommending synthetic oil, filter manufactures try to cash in with "Synthetic Filter" to go with synthetic oil.

I agree.

High capacity Syn. filters are probably better for cleaning up a dirty motor (ie: Auto-RX rinse phase). Unless you are leaving the filter on for over 10K, a normal filter should be fine in a normal, well maintained vehicle.

Thanks Memphis and everyone who contributed.

I have had paper filters stiffen up and become garbage at 3k miles, I would never run a paper filter with my extended oil changes. I saw a video on RP filters, they are much different then others made at the same place. Check youtube on it if your interested. thanks again guys.

I think Mobil 1 and fram ultra are not 100% synthetic but a combo paper and syn.

What about Amsoil? Do they have any 100% synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sammy
Thanks Memphis and everyone who contributed.

I have had paper filters stiffen up and become garbage at 3k miles, I would never run a paper filter with my extended oil changes. I saw a video on RP filters, they are much different then others made at the same place. Check youtube on it if your interested. thanks again guys.

I think Mobil 1 and fram ultra are not 100% synthetic but a combo paper and syn.

What about Amsoil? Do they have any 100% synthetic.

What. Your saying a filter manufacturing plant makes different filters.......in the same factory.
Will wonders never cease.
Cut one open. I have. I can think of another filter that looks identical inside with different colour rubber bits,can you guess which

Amsoil has synthetic media depending on he filter. Iirc a fram ultra is 100% syn media.

Last edited:
Zee thanks for posting that, I am frustrated by Fram because I have gotten many different sources on that issue stating that one layer is cellulose. I would love verification on that if possible. If it is 100% synthetic, that is indeed great news.

Originally Posted By: sammy
Zee thanks for posting that, I am frustrated by Fram because I have gotten many different sources on that issue stating that one layer is cellulose. I would love verification on that if possible. If it is 100% synthetic, that is indeed great news.

I think the old XG "Extended Guard" (which become the "Ultra") had on layer of cellulose or blend, and the other full synthetic. When FRAM upgraded the XG and named it the Ultra, then both layers became full synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back