Valve photos: Civic 99K Pennzoil + Purolator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Owned this Civic since 40k, have changed oil every 7500-10000 using Pennzoil Ultra and sometimes blend with Pennzoil yellow bottle. Purolator One filter changed with every oil change as well. I'm pretty happy with these results.

Congratulations on an above average maintenance plan.

What has your OCI and driving style been?

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain

What has your OCI and driving style been?

7500-10000 as I said. Mostly highway.

i wish my wife's v6 accord looks like that, no matter what oil i put in it the valve train seems to get darker and darker from varnish

I thought you were going to post picture of a bad valve. Guess after burning a valve in my last engine shot=burned, not photo.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I thought you were going to post picture of a bad valve.

Me too!

A question for the true gurus: Can an oil clean too well?? That engine appears to be spotless.

I don't know the fine details of oil chemistry, but there should be a balance between the oil cleaning and the oil plating the engine with lubricating/sacrificial metals from the add pack. Is that going on here at a microscopic level? And is there any advantage to a slightly increase varnish level?

Originally Posted By: tstep
A question for the true gurus: Can an oil clean too well?? That engine appears to be spotless.

I don't know the fine details of oil chemistry, but there should be a balance between the oil cleaning and the oil plating the engine with lubricating/sacrificial metals from the add pack. Is that going on here at a microscopic level? And is there any advantage to a slightly increase varnish level?

No. Oils are all a balance. Just because an oil that is superior at keeping things clean does not mean that it is compromising wear. In fact oils like M1 0w-40, PU 5w-40....etc. are exceptional in both areas.

Will one of the lubricating metals in the add pack, say moly or ZDDP, plate to any appreciable thickness or will it only build up a few atoms in thickness?

Will one of the lubricating metals in the add pack, say moly or ZDDP, plate to any appreciable thickness or will it only build up a few atoms in thickness?

They are always just a very thin layer. Moly is a FM, ZDDP is of course an AW additive.

Every engine that I have seen that was worn out due to wear was very dirty, and or had severly coked rings. We want to keep our engines as clean as possible. Clean is good, dirt is bad,

In an older engine without variable alive timing I don't see varnish as being harmful if the engine is clean however in the cam phasers varnish could spell trouble.
It would depend on the engine.
As far as clean goes if you are using a modern oil and not adding anything the oil is balanced and there shouldn't be any issues. Additives may affect the balance and potentially cause problems.
However I've got the VC off my old 2v which I ran mos2 in for quite some time and the top end is spotless,so the whole sludge myth is busted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back