Shelf life of motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I think the manufacturer recommendation for storing oil may have more to do with the bottle getting old and brittle than the oil itself. Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: 96 Cherokee
Gentlemen, I was in a pinch and that was the only bottle of dino multigrade I could find around here. The oil in the car(Havoline) had only 1200 miles on it so I did not want to change it yet, but the dipstick showed a quart low so I added the old Valvoline. I'll do an oil change on the car soon. Thanks much for all the replies. The experience and expertise on this forum is amazing, and quite valuable.
cheers2.gif

Well I'd have run it another 200-300 miles before I'd have added that ancient goo...

A quart low isn't the end of the world...

this thread reminds me of the 5 1qt bottles of SJ mobil 1 sitting behind the counter at work...

we have no idea where they came from, the store is not old enough to have ever had SJ oil in stock my theory is someone found it in their garage and decided to make a quick $35 by returning it (the upc matches the current SN mobil 1 on the shelf)

I have a 55 gallon drum of 30 wt that is 25 to 35 years old is has been sitting in shed it was opened 25 to 35 years olds ago and a hand pump placed on it to remove the oil it was for HD Diesel tractors I imagine there may be 20 or so gallons left

Question: Can I or should I use this oil in my Dozer & Backhoe

Thanks

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum!

I wouldn't use the oil in the crankcase of your HD equipment. Too much money riding on the line.

Perhaps there are other uses for it.

That is what I was thinking, But I have read conflicting claim as to the shelf life of Oil. I guess I will have oil for my oil can to use in shop to lube bolt & nuts. I can't figure why that drum lasted so long as my rigs took a lot of oil a regular oil changes Maybe I have a magic barrel
smile.gif

Oil does not have a shelf life. But your oil is 25 to 30 years old. The problem is modern oil is far superior to the old oil. Your problem is finding a use for the old oil. One idea is if you are working on a dirty engine run your 30 year old oil for a few hours or couple of hundred miles and use it for a flush.

Like someone else stated. The oil companies generally state 2-5 years shelf life. I usually follow to end of that at 5 years. I like to use it in that time. I used to hoard oil and had hundreds of quarts. I now have about 50 after selling off some of my stash. I would like to use what I have and only buy fresh oil at that point. I don't see the point of stashing oil anymore......New SN oil works just fine....

What do the sumps of your tractor and backhoe hold?
Probably a bunch.
Do they require make-up oil?
Probably some.
You could use the old oil in a low ratio blend with modern oil, and you could use it for adds.
You might not want to use it straight in an expensive diesel engine, but you could use a small proportion of it, just to put it to good use and get rid of it.

What I really like about castrol syns are the foil sealed bottles for good measures. Working on a lifetime supply of GC for my truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back