Nissan Frontier Spark Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this a rant, need for a shoulder to cry on, or just general crankyness but....

I just turned over 105K on my 2008 Nissan Frontier. Solid truck so far - zero mechanical issues whatsoever. (knock on wood) Whip out my service schedule to discover that it's time for plugs. That's easy enough, I can do that myself in something like 20 minutes right?

Took a peek under the hood and holy cow! Evidently the manifold has to come off, and a lot of other stuff. This is starting to look like a full weekend project. I threw my hands up in the air and called a local shop for an estimate. $400. Awesome.

Now I'm just cranky and threatening to just run this thing till I have a reason to change the plugs. Problem is I need to keep this thing running for another 80K miles, so I'll pay the piper sooner or later. If I knew I was trading in a year, I'd just run it. Probably not going to DIY it just because this looks too involved for me. Looks like time to shell out some cash.

I miss the old days when you could hide two dead bodies under a hood, and if you dropped a tool it would just fall through to the ground. Now everything's crammed into a small as space as possible. End Rant.

Last edited:
My 2003 Saturn required plugs and it was several hundred dollars. The intake manifolds on both sides had to be removed plus some other stuff on the back. Used those four electrode Bosch plugs which actually run well in that engine as that was original equippment. I feel your pain. I also have a Frontier.....

I've found some how to's on ClubFrontier this afternoon that indicate it should take about two hours. I'll see what's on YouTube tonight. It's possible I could talk myself into this yet....

Even on the little Versa,manifold has to come off for plugs.Nissan should get spanked for that hassle.More buyers need to ask first before buying and then walk away.....

Originally Posted By: TWG1572
I'm not sure if this a rant, need for a shoulder to cry on, or just general crankyness but....

I just turned over 105K on my 2008 Nissan Frontier. Solid truck so far - zero mechanical issues whatsoever. (knock on wood) Whip out my service schedule to discover that it's time for plugs. That's easy enough, I can do that myself in something like 20 minutes right?

Took a peek under the hood and holy cow! Evidently the manifold has to come off, and a lot of other stuff. This is starting to look like a full weekend project. I threw my hands up in the air and called a local shop for an estimate. $400. Awesome.

Now I'm just cranky and threatening to just run this thing till I have a reason to change the plugs. Problem is I need to keep this thing running for another 80K miles, so I'll pay the piper sooner or later. If I knew I was trading in a year, I'd just run it. Probably not going to DIY it just because this looks too involved for me. Looks like time to shell out some cash.

I miss the old days when you could hide two dead bodies under a hood, and if you dropped a tool it would just fall through to the ground. Now everything's crammed into a small as space as possible. End Rant.

I feel your pain but it could be worse.

I have had 2 HEMI Ram's and they are a royal pain in the butt for plugs. No manifolds to come off but the back group of plugs on each side is a nightmare. Just no room. Most pull the wheel and go up from underneath.

At least you have 100K change intervals. The HEMI uses copper cores and needs them every 30K. 16 plugs too boot. That's 3 + changes for 1 in your Nissan.

When I worked at the Ford dealer the mechanics used to dread changing plugs on one of the Probes as I recall( Turbo maybe ). The engine actually had to be unbolted from the mounts and raised up to get to them.

I like my Patriot for plugs. Lift the plastic engine cover off and all 4 plugs are in a row across the top of the motor under the coil packs. Takes like 20 minutes.

Last edited:
I've found some how to's on ClubFrontier this afternoon that indicate it should take about two hours. I'll see what's on YouTube tonight. It's possible I could talk myself into this yet....

+1, car specific forums can be beneficial in this regard. Hopefully, it's a good moderated board with folks who actually wish to help you.

Is it 2.5 Liter engine, If so, yes it is PITA. But it is possible. On this engine plastic manifold has to come out, and it is hard to put back. Make sure you order O.E plugs, and better from dealer. I had to take it apart twice, because plugs I got online first time were more fat and shorter. 2.5L takes long and skinny plugs, non standard dimensions I would say.
When I was taking it apart and put together for second time it was much easier.
Helper will be a benefit, to hold a light and tools, help to align manifold-that was my biggest PITA.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
#1 deal breaker for me is a vehicle that is hard to work on.
x2. I had no choice with my jeeps heater though. It's a 6+ hr job but atleast I can change my plugs In 20 minutes and my water pump in 30.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
It was about $260 at the Honda dealer for my plugs on the K24

I hope you didn't pay that.
shocked.gif
The factory plugs are $40, all are lined up neat and tidy under a little plastic cover, and took me about 8 minutes from start to finish to replace. Easiest spark plug change there is in my opinion. I put 230K miles on my 2005 Honda Accord 2.4 and 80K on my 2010 Acura TSX, both with the 2.4. One of the reasons I bought the 4 cyl instead of the 6 was the ease of maintenance.

zlove - thanks for the link. It looks doable.

Oddly enough, I called the local dealership and they charge a flat $190 to do the plugs. I'm not sure if the other shop gave me a "we don't want to do that" price or what... $200 is a whole lot of difference. Not sure if there are some hidden add-on's there, they are hoping to find other stuff to fix, or if they are just that much more efficient.

For that price, I may take them up on it. This thing has to run daily, so there's not a lot of room for 'oops' moments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back