Bought a Nissan...

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, not ME, sorry to disappoint. But this is what I saw on the way to work this morning.

hJn5hz7.jpg

His coping skills probably match his graphic design ones.

"Hey, it's Japanese, must be good. I'll give it as much maintenance as my toaster."
27.gif

I don't think that Nissan quality is what it used to be. Every Versa we have had through our shop has had a motor replaced at some point in its life. The Sentras and Versas are known for strut mount issues. Even the Maximas seem to fall apart after about 4 or 5 years.
Definitely miss the bullet proof KA24's.

I had one of those Altimas as a rental recently. I concur - this car was a total fiasco for me, not from a reliability perspective of course, but just from driving/handling/performance. I hated the numb steering. I hated the CVT. I hated the unrefined engine sound. Yuck.

Originally Posted By: salv
I don't think that Nissan quality is what it used to be. Every Versa we have had through our shop has had a motor replaced at some point in its life. The Sentras and Versas are known for strut mount issues. Even the Maximas seem to fall apart after about 4 or 5 years.
Definitely miss the bullet proof KA24's.

My father would disagree. Owned four Nissans/Infinitis over the past 13 years and all have been 99% trouble-free:

2001 Infiniti I30t (Maxima) -- sold with 90k on the clock, only thing that ever broke was the pre-cat in the exhaust manifolds at 79k. I think my Mom regrets selling it, but at least it went to a neighbor whose kids still drive it to school to this day.

2003 Infiniti G35 sedan (350Z) -- Dad still drives it, 80k on the clock, only thing that ever broke was the high-mount stop lamp. Particularly impressed since 2003 was the first year for this car.

1996 Infiniti G20t -- second owner, owned for several years and my brother put about 20k on it. Only thing that ever broke was the ABS computer and the dealer goodwilled it. Sold it to a neighbor and they still drive it to this day (I think it has 160k).

2010 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD -- 30k on the clock now, has had zero problems.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I had one of those Altimas as a rental recently. I concur - this car was a total fiasco for me, not from a reliability perspective of course, but just from driving/handling/performance. I hated the numb steering. I hated the CVT. I hated the unrefined engine sound. Yuck.

The person is probably deaf from the computer holding the engine at the EXACT RPM needed to create a drone that reverberates through the whole car!

That engine needs thrice the amount of external balancing it has if the computer is going to make it lug at 1100RPM all day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
The person is probably deaf from the computer holding the engine at the EXACT RPM needed to create a drone that reverberates through the whole car!

That engine needs thrice the amount of external balancing it has if the computer is going to make it lug at 1100RPM all day.

+1
crackmeup2.gif

Nice car. Have the same exact one. The CVT is quick and responsive and the 34.6 mpg makes it a smart buy. Have about 12K on the car now and I'm impressed. Certainly a better buy than the Mazda 6 or anything with DI.

Congrats

Originally Posted By: walk23
Nice car. Have the same exact one. The CVT is quick and responsive and the 34.6 mpg makes it a smart buy. Have about 12K on the car now and I'm impressed. Certainly a better buy than the Mazda 6 or anything with DI.

Congrats

Um.... What? did you actually look at the picture, specifically the window sticker in the back of the window?

2010 Armada with 61k. Recall at month 2 for a heater switch and thats been it. Just sent off M1 5-30 8k run off to BlackStone. Mileage has been great (for a truck like this) at lifetime avg of 14.5 (and that is with wife running it for 20 min!!!! AGR!! in winter) and gets about 17.5 at 80MPH highway. Doesn't burn oil betwene changes and the front/rear diff's and trans case all have drain/fill ports (thank you Nissan)!

All in all, biggest gripe is the 20" tires are too big, I'd prefer 18"s. I don't like the bump steer or the fact a truck this pricey does nto ahve heated seats (it's titanium not platinum model).

There are always people that have problems with every make/model of a car. Judging by the fact that this unknown fool put a sticker of sort on his car, he probably expects all the maintenance to be done by little magical gnomes while he sleeps. He probably put more effort into that sticker than he did taking care of it. SAD.

Originally Posted By: lugNutz
There are always people that have problems with every make/model of a car. Judging by the fact that this unknown fool put a sticker of sort on his car, he probably expects all the maintenance to be done by little magical gnomes while he sleeps. He probably put more effort into that sticker than he did taking care of it. SAD.

You realize that is a brand new car- right? They can't possibly have had enough time for lack of maintenance to cause any real damage. My guess is- he's having problems, and Nissan isn't being very helpful, and he is showing his dissatisfaction in the most public and visible way possible.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: walk23

Congrats

I hope you're not meaning the 2014 '6 - thems fightin' words with all the Mazda6 lovers on this site. I think comparing the 6AT skyactiv vs the CVT would win the comparo before going any further.

That is a 2013 Altima if my eyes do not deceive me. While an individual car from any manufacturer can be a lemon, I think that all the detractors who are saying he didn't maintain it are missing the point since it is the current model year. I doubt the guy drove 100k miles on one oil change in the last year!

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
2010 Armada with 61k. Recall at month 2 for a heater switch and thats been it. Just sent off M1 5-30 8k run off to BlackStone. Mileage has been great (for a truck like this) at lifetime avg of 14.5 (and that is with wife running it for 20 min!!!! AGR!! in winter) and gets about 17.5 at 80MPH highway. Doesn't burn oil betwene changes and the front/rear diff's and trans case all have drain/fill ports (thank you Nissan)!

All in all, biggest gripe is the 20" tires are too big, I'd prefer 18"s. I don't like the bump steer or the fact a truck this pricey does nto ahve heated seats (it's titanium not platinum model).

They use the same 6 lug bolt pattern as GM trucks right? I always see 16 and 17'' takeoff wheels on CL for dirt cheap

My experience with a 2002 Maxima was its durability was underwhelming. It had liquid filled engine mounts and suspension parts that sprung leaks after 9 years and needed to be replaced. Power steering line leaked on cue at 110,000 miles. some other engine control gizmo's went bad at about 60k. Wheel bearing lasted 90k. Oh and the very nice bose 6-cd player [censored] out early as well, not to mention that the LCD odometer reading only showed about half the read out.

I was in Oahu last week on vacation, I unfortunately got a 2013 altima. I didn't want it, but kinda had no choice.

So the push button start thing I really don't like, it's probably an old school thing. I had no idea there's a little port to charge the remote on, I found that out from a valet!

But the tranny, 6spd auto with autoshift. this tranny couldn't decide which gear to stay in, when I accelerated to pass, it didn't know what to do. Of course being on Oahu, nobody's in a hurry, I never went above 50mph, and it wasn't for very long.

I can't blame the CEL or traction control problems because things do happen, even on a 21k vehicle. But it rode ok, the backseats were very comfy, fronts weren't to impressive to me.
guage cluster was boring, steering wheel controls for cruise control didn't work right, when I clicked set, the horn would go off as well.

I don't know if it was the CVT tranny or not, I felt the shifts, they were very noticable.
It did get pretty decent mileage for a full size car with a 4cyl motor and a/c on all the time. However, I believe these cars have the 25gal. fuel tank, so you can cruise a very far distance, if there was enough road to do that with.

Eric, I am guessing you have never driven (or rode) in a car with a cvt. The difference between a regular 4-5-6 speed auto and a cvt is extremely noticable.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Eric, I am guessing you have never driven (or rode) in a car with a cvt. The difference between a regular 4-5-6 speed auto and a cvt is extremely noticable.

Actually, in case of this particular Nissan CVT, the different is not all that noticeable, IMO, so I can understand how Eric had a hard time telling what it was. It's a CVT that was programmed to behave more like a regular auto trans in some ways.

Eric,

The only auto trans available on the 2013 Altima in the US is CVT, so that's probably what your rental had. Unless Hawaii gets something different...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back