Stinger Expert Roadkill (Dynamat) app pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished applying this http://stingerelectronics.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=541&CategoryID=12 to the Accord. Really, it was purchased for the Miata, a tin can on wheels, to squeeze a bit more out of the modest stereo, and lessen nvh.

Application is easy but time consuming. Prep includes removing door trim, disconnecting electrical connectors, peeling off the moisture barrier, and cleaning the metal door panels. I used denatured alcohol.

Tools used: plastic trim tool, utility knife, rags for denatured alcohol, tennis ball, small roller, phillips screwdriver, small flathead screwdriver.

The product came as a nine pack, each piece 18"x32", but each of these folded into thirds. So effectively, 27 usable rectangles approx 6"x11". It is heavier than I thought it would be. The front is thick aluminum foil with a tar-like substance on the back, covered with "wax paper" that is peeled away before application. Cut the pieces from the "wax paper" side to avoid a gooey tar-like mess.

Taken this way I used 10 of the 27 pieces. 3 each for the front doors, 1.5 for each rear door, 1 for the trunk. I used much less than I thought I would.

Front door, naked. I did remove the speaker to apply product behind and to the hole:

P1020653.jpg

Front door with Stinger:

P1020656.jpg

Rear door with Stinger:

P1020657.jpg

All in all it was an enjoyable, albeit time consuming, experience. I spent approximately 3 hrs today, start to finish, on the rear doors and trunk. Fuddy duddying around yesterday, making mistakes like putting the front door trim on without first remembering certain hardware had to go to the door itself, cost me time. In all probably around 4+ hours for the two front doors.

Again, easy, but time consuming. And not that expensive, $95 on Amazon for the nine- pack of which I used 3&1/3 pieces, or $35 worth for the doors and trunk.

Although I have not taken the car out for a drive I can say after listening to the factory stereo that this product, and I assume others like it, make a dramatic impact on the sound system performance. Music seems louder yet more finely detailed, which makes sense given the marketing claims of a reduction in vibration.

I'll update on road noise later. Oh, in case you were wondering, the tennis ball supplemented the roller and was for rounded areas.
wink.gif

Looks good, very professional

I do have a question. Years ago we purchased a used Neon for a nephew of mine. It had a strange tar like odor that I raced back to Dynamat on the doors, even after removing the glass it was a full day of work getting all traces of it removed (the outer door skin was a nightmare). Have heard the benefits but am always concerned about future maintenance (especially bodywork)

Is this stuff easier to remove ?

Was it actually Dynamat or someone going to Home despot and buying some of the aluminum backed tar stuff that is for roofs? Ive heard of some people doing that.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Was it actually Dynamat or someone going to Home despot and buying some of the aluminum backed tar stuff that is for roofs? Ive heard of some people doing that.

Sorry for the confusion. It is a direct competitor of Dynamat, Stinger branded sound insulation, the exact product I purchased is linked in the original post.

I bought it because it was 40% less expensive than the Dynamat bulk pack. Both have 36 square feet of material. I purchased the "Stinger" on Amazon for $95.

Originally Posted By: cmorr
Looks good, very professional

I do have a question. Years ago we purchased a used Neon for a nephew of mine. It had a strange tar like odor that I raced back to Dynamat on the doors, even after removing the glass it was a full day of work getting all traces of it removed (the outer door skin was a nightmare). Have heard the benefits but am always concerned about future maintenance (especially bodywork)

Is this stuff easier to remove ?

Both days I worked on the car it was 90+ degrees outside. I noticed zero odor from the Stinger as I worked with it. That said, I did not hold it directly to my nose, but I was certainly around it long enough to tell. I noticed zero odor in the car. Time will tell if that holds true as it cures.

When I had to quickly, I mean immediately, re-position a panel prior to rolling it it was tacky but came off. I cannot speak to removing it after it has been rolled and cured:

"After a few days of adhesion time, Adhesion strength for RK Expert product is good for about 35lbs per sq in.
Better adhesion/bond strength translates into a better performing product. More vibration is transferred to the material than when the bond is weak."

If that is true it gets better with age.
thumbsup2.gif

The Roadkill didn't smell because it is butyl rubber-based, not asphalt-based.

Pound for pound, butyl rubber performs much better than asphalt, doesn't stink, and sticks better (especially in high temps). Most sound deadening manufacturers are now exclusively using butyl rubber, though some low cost producers still use asphalt.

Stuff you buy at Home Depot belongs on your roof or sealing your gutters, not in your car.

Originally Posted By: k24a4
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

Sorry for the confusion. It is a direct competitor of Dynamat, Stinger branded sound insulation, the exact product I purchased is linked in the original post.

I should have quoted, but I was talking to cmorr with the tar odor problem.

Originally Posted By: dparm
How much weight did you add, in total?

The bulk pack weight is 26 lbs. There are 27 "tiles". 3 "tiles" per sheet; nine sheets in the box. Let's say each tile weighs close to a pound. I used 10 "tiles" so I'd say I added about ten pounds to the weight of the car.

Strangely, I can tell. I took the car out yesterday and it has a more substantial feel to it, especially over minor road imperfections, manhole covers and the like. It feels in general more solid. However, I swear it is slightly more sluggish when taking exit ramps, as if leaning more. I need more seat time to be sure. But I did put about a pound possibly less of the stuff on the inner skin of each door, or about as far as you can get from the center of mass.

The Accord has a long history of allowing into the cabin plenty of road noise. I notice this most over course asphalt, not the fresh black stuff. From my brief drive yesterday I'd say improvement in this area is marginal to modest.

Where the Stinger really shines is in bringing out the best of the factory audio system, which in the Accord is no slouch. Bass is tighter, the sound-stage is more detailed, and it simply seems louder.

In my opinion this is by a good margin one of the best bang-for-buck improvements I've made to any vehicle. Cost for the product used was about $35-$40, application was easy once all the prep work was completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back