Which BBQ Grille?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to get a new propane BBQ grille.

Nothing huge or expensive, just something for small family gatherings and such, preferably one that won't rust or rot out after a few years.

Any suggestions?

Weber

Buy once, cry once.

Summit is a Chinese import. Genesis comes from IL. Summit is their top-end. $700-$800 gets you a 10-15 year piece you won't regret. Buy the cover unless its garaged.

Yes, I sell them. Even the high end Viking, Wolf, DCS, Solaire. Not really worth it unless you need a status symbol instead of a grill.

My current grill is a Weber red top. I got from Craigslist free stuff. My BIL had a set of grates for it. I splurged on a new igniter and a cover.
laugh.gif

Weber Genesis. Have had one for 2 years (and a 20+ year old Weber model before that. It is the only way to go for a standalone gas grilling system.

I can't sing the praises enough.

Buy smaller rather than larger. People do not use half the burners and almost never side burner. Look at Consumer Reports.
They put lots of stainless steel on the front but the rest of the cart rusts. Burners eventually go and need to be replaced.

Weber, but go for the Q. Smaller footprint, fold down sides, super-efficient and perfect for grilling. I was going to go for one of the fancier ones and plumb it to out home gas line, but the Q is cheaper, more flexible, and just works great. We have the Q320.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Weber Q. We have a Q 120, and really like it.

+1. They are indeed amazing.

Weber Genesis, USA made with quality and it will outlast at least 2 or 3 cheaper grills. My son is a chef and he steered me towards the cast iron grill instead of the stainless. I must say, it gives incredible grill marks without charring the meat. It gets to >600° when warming up and holds a temperature true for broiling or for the spit (rotisserie motor is optional, and in my opinion well worth the money (~$80 on the web).
Goid luck with whatever you choose. Happy grilling.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Weber, but go for the Q. Smaller footprint, fold down sides, super-efficient and perfect for grilling. I was going to go for one of the fancier ones and plumb it to out home gas line, but the Q is cheaper, more flexible, and just works great. We have the Q320.

If you are cooking for very few people and you do not want to do: beer can chicken, rotisserie chicken or any rotisserie roasts. It's good for tailgating for a very small group or two couples, etc. Otherwise, go for the Genesis.

My Weber Genesis is about 8-9 years old and still working well, I have the cover because it is on the back yard. I think my Weber will lasted 15-20 years because I take good care of it.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

If you are cooking for very few people and you do not want to do: beer can chicken, rotisserie chicken or any rotisserie roasts. It's good for tailgating for a very small group or two couples, etc. Otherwise, go for the Genesis.

The Q320 has 393 sq in of main cooking area, while the genesis has 507. So a little over 100 sq in more, or 10 by 10" more. Its not that big of a deal, which is exactly why we went with the Q over the 320. Ive cooked full size racks of ribs, large fish fillets, etc. on it. Plenty of room. Sure its not that high, thus the rotisserie comment, but we really wouldnt cook on gas if we are making that stuff anyway.

Sure if you have to cook an absolutely huge amount of stuff all the time, the bigger grill will be useful. But we more than easily cook for 5-6 adults all the time on ours and it is perfect. I could put a LOT more food on there.

I dont deny that the US made big webers are great - they are. But dont discount the large Q grill, becaue it isnt that small, and cooks really well and hot.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Buy smaller rather than larger. People do not use half the burners and almost never side burner. Look at Consumer Reports.
They put lots of stainless steel on the front but the rest of the cart rusts. Burners eventually go and need to be replaced.

It is true in my case. I use 1 or 2 burners out of 4 90-95% of the time. I probably use 3 or 4 burners once or twice a year.

We have a Weber Q120 and I can't say enough good things about that grill. Though I do have the accessory cart for it and it sits on the back patio most often, we do take it with us sometimes because it's so portable. It always cooks perfect and the construction quality is fantastic. My folks, brother, and neighbor all have one, which is what turned me on to it. Some other folks in the office have bought one on my recommendation and they can't stop talking about how nice it cooks.

Originally Posted By: Donald
People do not use half the burners and almost never side burner.

Even if you don't use all the burners, a larger area with multiple burners gives you a lot more flexibility when using indirect heat method.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
I'm looking to get a new propane BBQ grille.

Nothing huge or expensive, just something for small family gatherings and such, preferably one that won't rust or rot out after a few years.

Any suggestions?

I got one 2 years ago at HD. A Charbroil SS unit. Has 4 burners under the hood and a side burner. Was $199. Works really well and has held up good so far. I don't use the side burner and doubt I ever will but they all had them so...

Last edited:
As others have said, get a Weber - spend your money on quality rather than bells and whistles. I've got a Genesis "Gold B" (3 burner, no side burner, two fold up work areas, stainless body) that's about 10 years old. It's on it's 3rd regulator and second cover but otherwise has been flawless. It gets hot enough, has great adjustability, retains heat well, etc. I use it multiple times per week.

jeff

I bought weber gold charcoal 150 buck at lowes and weber charcoal starter !!! Best thing ever invent . I never look to buy anything else . This grill is everything I ever need .

Have had a Weber Genesis copper-colored 3-burner for two years and it is a fantastic unit. Pre-heating the grill on high easily gets it to close to 800F within 15mins and man whoever engineered those "Flavor Bars" is a genius. The flavor bars give whatever you're grilling that extra goodness.

Customer service is fantastic as well. Even while covered, the piezo ignition rubber button developed some dry rot and they had a cover and piezo module at my door within a few days.

Whatever brand grill you end up buying get a good quality cover that helps when stored outdoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back