2004 Honda S2000 Clutch Master Cylinder failed !

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first mechanical brake down on the 2004 Honda S2000 ! The clutch master cylinder has a leak inside the firewall dripping down inside the car, the reservoir fluid was almost empty and the clutch only engaged when it is completely depress and dis-engaged when released less than 1".

How hard is it to replace the clutch master cylinder in a S2000 ? Looks like not much room behind the clutch pedal to remove the 2 nuts that hold the MC to the firewall, also no room to remove large pin ("yoke pin") and the cotter pin that connect the MC to the clutch pedal.

Just remember you may need to bench bleed the clutch master cylinder a bit before you install it.

And when you bleed the clutch MC, be VERY gentle with the pedal when pumping it to bleed it.

I would only push up and down on the pedal 1/4 of the stroke, and do it gently and slowly.

I blew a slave cylinder at school doing a tranny remove and replace exercise and we decided to bleed the clutch when we were done on a 2003 Sunfire.

Brake fluid leaked out the tranny bell housing. We had to pull the tranny again to replace the slave cylinder. PITA!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Local dealer wants $119 plus tax

Sounds like a bargain to me. Any time a dealer has hard parts that cheap I would use them, with the eBay and Amazon junk you'll just be doing the job again in a couple of years.

Pump away when you bleed it, after all when you're driving your car you'll need to push it all the way to the floor; you won't have the option of only using 1/4 of its stroke! If the slave fails from pumping, it was ready to go out anyway. Better to fail in your driveway than fail two weeks later 2,000 miles from home in the middle of some national park and end up with a $2000 tow and repair bill.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
I went with OEM last summer when I noticed brake fluid on my clutch pedal. Here's a DIY link http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/682374-diy-replacing-clutch-master-cylinder/

Thanks,

I tried a dry run to see if I'm able to remove the old unit, everything seems to be okay except this:

"The master cylinder itself is attached to the firewall by two 12mm nuts inside the driver's footwell -- one on the lower right (relative to the master cylinder), and the other on the upper left behind a metal bracket. Removing the lower right one should be straightforward.
The upper left nut took me much longer to figure out, because the metal bracket and ECU are in the way. Basically you need to attach an extension to your ratchet."
I don't have a 12mm deep socket, I need to borrow one from my BIL and try again.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
I went with OEM last summer when I noticed brake fluid on my clutch pedal. Here's a DIY link http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/682374-diy-replacing-clutch-master-cylinder/

Thanks,

I tried a dry run to see if I'm able to remove the old unit, everything seems to be okay except this:

"The master cylinder itself is attached to the firewall by two 12mm nuts inside the driver's footwell -- one on the lower right (relative to the master cylinder), and the other on the upper left behind a metal bracket. Removing the lower right one should be straightforward.
The upper left nut took me much longer to figure out, because the metal bracket and ECU are in the way. Basically you need to attach an extension to your ratchet."
I don't have a 12mm deep socket, I need to borrow one from my BIL and try again.

Tried again today, since the kick panel gets in the way to access the upper left nut, removed it to have about 1" more space and the upper left nut is easy to remove.

So far I only do a dry run to test if I'm capable to remove the old master cylinder, then I do the replacement on the weekend. My guess is it will take about 1 hour to 90 minutes to complete the job of removing the old, install the new and bleed the clutch.

Do you have a set of quality flare wrenches? You will need them to complete this job.

Do NOT try to use a regular wrench or a low-quality flare wrench on the hydraulic line.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Do you have a set of quality flare wrenches? You will need them to complete this job.

Do NOT try to use a regular wrench or a low-quality flare wrench on the hydraulic line.

This, I had a Craftsman flare nut wrench ruin a brake line fitting. The cheap wrenches, including the "super awesome Craftsman ratcheting" open ended wrenches belong in the trash.

No, I don't have flare wrenches. I tried to loosen the nut on the hydraulic line from master cylinder and it works okay.

I got the OEM(Nissin) Clutch Master Cylinder(CMC) today, I bought it from an Ebay seller for $70 shipped with USPS priority mail, the lowest aftermarket unit was only $15-20 less. Before replace the original one with the new one I tried to fix/adjust the current CMC(after searching for "S2000 clutch adjustment" online), after several tries I got it to work just the way I like it and as the same level when it was new, the engage/disengage is about 1.5-2.0" from the top instead of near the floor. Test drive it and press/depress the clutch several dozens times and everything seems working well now. Checked the CMC rod and found no trace of brake fluid on it, and reservoir is still full and will check fluid level everyday for several weeks to make sure it is okay.

Now I have a brand new OEM Clutch Master Cylinder ready to be install when needed in the future.

I use majestic honda for my oem parts, very good online service and prices. Replaced the master and slave a couple years ago, and yes, those nuts are a pain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back