new Honda clone gx160 engine burning oil no smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i have one of these engines installed to a power washer it has electric start and runs very smooth it only has about 2 hours on it, i needed a spark plug for a lawnmower and i had no choice but to take it out of the 160 clone anyway i took it out and it was black and slightly wet with oil. I then took a flashlight and looked in to the cylinder and the top of the piston had a very light coating of oil. Now the engine does not release smoke when running, and i don't think i this coming from the valves as they both have valve seals which are in good condition or anything but it does make a slight metallic knocking or pinging sound when the engine is at warm idle to 2000rpm i don't think it is detonating or anything though. back to the oil is it because the engine is new and the rings haven't seated correctly ?

Is it low on oil? I can't say I've ever had a small engine (excpet 2 strokes) that didn't have a black plug. If it's not using any oil I wouldn't worry about it but if it is using it I'de get it looked at or return it if it's an option.

From what I got in this thread:
http://www.perr.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11300

there is a 1oz/hr oil use rate that is "normal" for air cooled engines.

I agree with letting it get broken in. But it will probably take 5 years to get 20 hours.
smile.gif

It will take some time to full seat in. I have had engines through tons of flake upto fifty plus hours. My personal thoughts is oci's on fresh engines are 2.5, 5, 10, 25, and then go to regular oci's with top shelf oils.

Ken

Il have to do that, also the oil has some metal dust in there as well would these be from the rings and bearings seating in or would it be serious, as there is a knock when accelerating and when you turn it off when cold

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
I would Run the Heck out of if, like for a Good House siding cleaning or Semi truck washing, topped off with some ND30 motor oil in it.

Well there goes the warranty...

I just bought a HF Predator 212CC. It said to break in with no major load for 3 hours. I filled the tank, and ran it at about 1/2 throttle until the tank ran dry, about 2.5 hours.

The oil was down a small amount, but I didn't pull the plug. It sounds great; no knocking.
It's on a pressure washer, and I will wash the house this week. I am using Shell syn, 10-30 per the manual.

Originally Posted By: Lewis
Il have to do that, also the oil has some metal dust in there as well would these be from the rings and bearings seating in or would it be serious, as there is a knock when accelerating and when you turn it off when cold

The dust is normal. I've had it on my Briggs lawn mower and pressure washer and Chonda generator engine. I think it's casting stuff and probably some wear in metals.

I'd watch the oil level and keep an ear out for the knock. It may be from the pump as I know our pressure washer can make weird noises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back