Subaru CVT vs Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dkryan
Who makes the CVTs for Nissan, Honda, and Subaru?

JATCO (Japanese Automatic Transmission Company)

Created by Nissan in the late 90's and supplies CVT's to just about every car company except Honda I think. Yes Chrysler, Ford, Mazda, Subaru, etc, etc, etc...

Google it....

The CVT hardware is really improving thanks to players like JATCO, but they still have inherent flaws like relatively low torque capacity, service life, dubious durability.

Jatco is shipping "CVT8" and "CVT7" to automakers. The 8 has a reasonable torque capacity of 280ft/lbs, and uses a belt and chaindrive. The CVT7 is a 130ft/lb rated 'economy' box that uses a belt and an in-built planetary gear drive.

It's good that the hardware can now support fast, responsive ratio changes and that the manufacturers are programming them to take advantage of the hardware evolution. CVTs are also a good "right now" solution for automakers to get those CAFE #s up. I'm just waiting for the long term verdict, say 5-7 years down the road. With auxiliary drive systems like a chain and planetary gearset built into these CVTs, they're ironically a step closer to traditional autos, but should be much more reliable than previous CVTs.

From my 1 1/2 year ownership of a 2012 outback, I will never touch a CVT again. Was it terrible? No, but it reduced the vehicular experience akin to driving in a snow drift.

Originally Posted By: zloveraz

Created by Nissan in the late 90's and supplies CVT's to just about every car company except Honda I think. Yes Chrysler, Ford, Mazda, Subaru, etc, etc, etc...

Google it....

Wrong on Subaru.

Subaru sources their current CVTs from Aisin. They are chain drive as opposed to the stacked plate belt on the Jatco units.

I'll stick with my 5mt thanks. There's no way I would trust a CVT with this load:

full_load.jpg

Originally Posted By: JTK

Created by Nissan in the late 90's and supplies CVT's to just about every car company except Honda I think. Yes Chrysler, Ford, Mazda, etc, etc, etc...

Google it....

Wrong on Subaru.

Subaru sources their current CVTs from Aisin. They are chain drive as opposed to the stacked plate belt on the Jatco units.

Yep plus I think Toyota uses Aisin also.

Aisin might have some affiliation with Jatco for all we know
smile.gif

IMO, it's very odd Subaru didn't stick with Jatco for the CVT, the way they have for decades with their 4EAT, 5EAT, etc. That's a strange situation IMO.

Originally Posted By: JTK

Created by Nissan in the late 90's and supplies CVT's to just about every car company except Honda I think. Yes Chrysler, Ford, Mazda, etc, etc, etc...

Google it....

Wrong on Subaru.

Toyota owns part of Aisin. Aisin makes good transmissions.

Nissan's CVTs have odd programming.

Miller88 -

"Odd" in what way? Are you referring to the new CVTs Nissan is using in the Altima?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back