New road bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cchase
Almost guaranteed that any carbon complete bike out there is made in Asia. Probably China or Taiwan.

Most, yes, but I believe that Seven Cycles lays up their carbon frames right here in this country, the top of the line Trek Madone was made here (not sure IF it still is or not), and possibly the Van Dessel carbon frames as well (but I'm NOT positive on that last one??).

But, yes, some $TUPID money, Italian labelled framesets ARE layed up in SinoLand/Taiwan/Mexico/etc. (We're talking frames costing upwards of $8K, and complete bikes near the $20K mark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
crazy2.gif
)

Originally Posted By: cchase
That said, carbon is worth it for ride comfort alone. They're a lot smoother than aluminum road bikes.

YES, THIS^^^ is more of a reason to get a carbon framed bike than even weight savings, since there are aluminum alloy/titanium/beryllium/etc. frames which weigh less than most carbon frames out there.
wink.gif

If you want a USA/Canadian made frame,the boutique steel frames will likely be your only choice. I think there are probably some in your price range, since the bikes you're considering are pretty pricey, but I haven't priced them too much.

Steel is making a comeback among some people, since it's not a huge penalty on weight and many people like the ride quality.

But, if you're set on crabon (as the Bike Snob would say) then perhaps it's not for you.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I don't know what the actual numbers would be, but I'm guessing the difference in overall performance from something like my $1200 steel Marin Verona Marin Verona , and a $4000+ bike is going to be less than 1-2%, and probably most of that is the tires. So what you ate the night before is a bigger factor than the bike.
If you want to be a roughly equal rider, just ride more. The frame material is not going to save you on a climb if your Dad rides alot and wants to show the boy who is still boss!
wink.gif

My Verona would probably fit you very well, I could drop it off sometime and you could try it out, I've been thinking of selling it for a while and for a few hundred bucks, it could be yours!

You think the way I do. I could save a few pounds on the bike. Or, I could lose the weight myself and net the same result.

I saved the money, bought an entry level aluminum road bike and am losing the extra weight myself.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

I don't know what the actual numbers would be, but I'm guessing the difference in overall performance from something like my $1200 steel Marin Verona Marin Verona , and a $4000+ bike is going to be less than 1-2%, and probably most of that is the tires. So what you ate the night before is a bigger factor than the bike.
If you want to be a roughly equal rider, just ride more. The frame material is not going to save you on a climb if your Dad rides alot and wants to show the boy who is still boss!
wink.gif

My Verona would probably fit you very well, I could drop it off sometime and you could try it out, I've been thinking of selling it for a while and for a few hundred bucks, it could be yours!

You think the way I do. I could save a few pounds on the bike. Or, I could lose the weight myself and net the same result.

I saved the money, bought an entry level aluminum road bike and am losing the extra weight myself.

Definitely not an unreasonable approach
smile.gif
I definitely don't want something made in China though. Do you have any knowledge of bikes of this type that would be made in the USA, Canada, Germany, Italy....etc?

It was most likely assembled in California by Omnium Cycle Works for Marin going by the sticker on the frame.
The tube set is Columbus Thron but the sticker is all in italian? So I'll say the frame was made in Italy.
Also it is a 1999 and all the rest of it is Campagnolo mirage components which I assume were still made in Italy back then.
The bad is that it has a nice dent in the the top tube, from Barry of Ride On bike shop(were you here then?), forgetting he had it on his roof racks and driving into the simcoe street parking garage. My plan was to just get a bigger frame at some point but never got around to it. Its had me at a fitter 200lbs torquing around on it with no issues and I ride it without worry. It could use some tires too as they are the original.
Let me know if you are interested.

It was most likely assembled in California by Omnium Cycle Works for Marin going by the sticker on the frame.
The tube set is Columbus Thron but the sticker is all in italian? So I'll say the frame was made in Italy.
Also it is a 1999 and all the rest of it is Campagnolo mirage components which I assume were still made in Italy back then.
The bad is that it has a nice dent in the the top tube, from Barry of Ride On bike shop(were you here then?), forgetting he had it on his roof racks and driving into the simcoe street parking garage. My plan was to just get a bigger frame at some point but never got around to it. Its had me at a fitter 200lbs torquing around on it with no issues and I ride it without worry. It could use some tires too as they are the original.
Let me know if you are interested.

I am interested!

You ever look into Devinci? Canadian made frames on at least the medium to higher level ones.

Not the cheap bikes, but the higher end stuff is Canadian made.

I would look no further myself, but its because I've already had one with a maple leaf on the frame.

Speaking of Canuck frame builders; is Marinoni still in business??
21.gif

When Mr. LeMond was starting out as a junior amateur, I remember this is what he was riding.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
You ever look into Devinci? Canadian made frames on at least the medium to higher level ones.

Not the cheap bikes, but the higher end stuff is Canadian made.

I would look no further myself, but its because I've already had one with a maple leaf on the frame.

No, I haven't. I'm going to be checking out Ian's bike before I do anything else.

-Chris

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
If you guys have other suggestions, I'm open to those too
smile.gif

-Chris

I have no idea how to avoid Chinese components without paying up. If you are looking for a good, reasonably priced bike that is still sold through a local bike shop, you might want to see if you have a Jamis dealer nearby. They have a complete line and fair value for money.

Since you are in Toronto why not check out D'Ornellas bike shop on Lawrence ave, Eon was Canadian champion and raced in Europe, caters to roadies and is known for providing excellent bike fit, works with many high end athletes, make sure you speak to him directly if you go. Just a recommendation.

Originally Posted By: vintagegz
Since you are in Toronto why not check out D'Ornellas bike shop on Lawrence ave, Eon was Canadian champion and raced in Europe, caters to roadies and is known for providing excellent bike fit, works with many high end athletes, make sure you speak to him directly if you go. Just a recommendation.

Thanks for the info
cheers3.gif

I'm sure you've seen my bike pics in other threads. I'm 49 and have ridden a lifetime of miles. I've owned and worn out a number of bikes and components.

When it comes down to it, I prefer Ti frames. I like the fact that they don't corrode like my steel and aluminum bikes did. I also like the fact that they can be polished to a near chrome finish and the polish job lasts 10 years!

Carbon damps vibes wonderfully, and has a dead feel. But, the carbon bikes I've been involved with eventually have issues. Either from crashes, road rash or bottom bracket disbonding.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I'm sure you've seen my bike pics in other threads. I'm 49 and have ridden a lifetime of miles. I've owned and worn out a number of bikes and components.

When it comes down to it, I prefer Ti frames. I like the fact that they don't corrode like my steel and aluminum bikes did. I also like the fact that they can be polished to a near chrome finish and the polish job lasts 10 years!

Carbon damps vibes wonderfully, and has a dead feel. But, the carbon bikes I've been involved with eventually have issues. Either from crashes, road rash or bottom bracket disbonding.

^^^Wow, I guess I will hold on tightly to my Merlin Road, in that case.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back