Honda A01 cut open w/ pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able (barely) to cut open my Honda A01 I used on my last oil change. It was ran for 3000 miles along with PU 5w-20. There was a little grit in the bottom of the can when I cut it open but could have been shavings from the cutting. I cleaned out the can after I cut it. There are some nicks on the media, that is from the hacksaw. I did the best I could. Everything seemed to be very solid, I took the center tube out to see the inside of the media. I stuck a paperclip inside the part of the media with "no endcaps" and there is something very solid in there, seems like very hard glue of some sort. All in all Im pretty pleased. Judging by the color of the filter media and oil, it seems my engine is relatively clean.

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4

pic5

pic6

pic7

pic8

pic9

pic10

pic11

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
No pic's?

Sorry, I was very lost as I was trying to post this, never posted pics before. I see two of them didnt load up, but most of the links work. Sorry if the pics arent the best quality.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I stuck a paperclip inside the part of the media with "no endcaps" and there is something very solid in there, seems like very hard glue of some sort.

Yes, with a filter design like this, every pleat is glued at the end to seal it off. Typical for a "no endcap" design.

That oil and filter still looks new. Could have gone a lot longer on the OCI/FCI. Otherwise everything looks good! Thanks for posting.

Proof that your not utilizing your oil filter enough. Will this finding lead you to push your oil further or will you still use that nice filter with synthetic at 3k? I thin the filter looks excellent and could probably triple your OCI.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Proof that your not utilizing your oil filter enough. Will this finding lead you to push your oil further or will you still use that nice filter with synthetic at 3k? I thin the filter looks excellent and could probably triple your OCI.

Quite simply, I dont feel comfortable extending my OCI because I now do about 7, less than 1 miles trips per day. Oil doesnt heat up, fuel delusion, etc. Extending OCI makes some people happy, but if I did I would be worried the whole time. Just not worth it IMO, oil is so cheap, a new engine is not. I baby this car and take good care of her. Need her to last me another 5 years / 60,000 miles or more. Plus I just like changing the oil period, its therapeutic =)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
No pic's?

Sorry, I was very lost as I was trying to post this, never posted pics before. I see two of them didnt load up, but most of the links work. Sorry if the pics arent the best quality.

Greg, I'm sorry. In my PM to you, I said to use the "Create a Link to a Web Page" icon in the message-composition window. That was wrong. Instead, you need to use the "Insert a non-floating image" icon, the one that looks like a page with one corner folded over.

The URL you paste into the box needs to be the one that you copy from Photobucket when the image is actually being displayed on screen. Sorry about that.

And you need to study the pasted URL to make certain that it begins with the exact string, "http://" (minus the quotes).

I'd cut my OCI in half if I were you. With all those short trips during the summer in Florida, 1500 miles max using only the best synthetic available.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I'd cut my OCI in half if I were you. With all those short trips during the summer in Florida, 1500 miles max using only the best synthetic available.

Hope your joking...I might be over the top...maybe...but that seems a little bit extreme.

Wish I was closer, I'd offer to take that used PU off your hands for my Saturn
smile.gif

Dude, drive it around the block for a couple miles once a week, and you can go 12 months on PU or any quality syn. Or send me ur used oil and I will put it in my truck. If your trips are truly less than a mile, consider WALKING

Hope your joking...I might be over the top...maybe...but that seems a little bit extreme.

Gotta be a joke - I hope.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Dude, drive it around the block for a couple miles once a week, and you can go 12 months on PU or any quality syn. Or send me ur used oil and I will put it in my truck. If your trips are truly less than a mile, consider WALKING

Yes they are truly less than 1 miles 0.9 miles to be exact. And yes, most likely I will walk once the weather cools off. Trust me, in FL where I live you walk outside and stand and you WILL start to sweat. And it rains randomly here in the summer, its been raining EVERY day for the last 3 weeks, and off and on for the last month and a half, only had MAYBE 2 or 3 days were the sun was fully out. Besides, I figured with the extra money I would spend in gas taking her out on the highway every now and then it would be cheaper just to buy a 5 quart jug and change the oil out. It takes a good 30 minutes to make it to the highway where I live, and that 30 minutes is city stop and go. So all the gas I would spend to get on the highway and burn off all the fuel would easily pay for a 5 quart jug of oil every 3 months. Really guys, I guess I am just set in my ways and its not going to change until my driving style does. So criticize me all you want, Its not going to change me. I respect your decisions, why cant you respect mine?

True that, absolutely, no doubt! As the OP says, "oil is so cheap", especially synthetic. And "fuel delusion" is a huge concern. Truly a Freudian slip, with the latter just missing the 'al' at the end.

Another cue Ron White moment.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

True that, absolutely, no doubt! As the OP says, "oil is so cheap", especially synthetic. And "fuel delusion" is a huge concern. Truly a Freudian slip, with the latter just missing the 'al' at the end.

Another cue Ron White moment.

Give it a rest.

^^^^As long you continue post 3k mi. oci's here (Bitog), there will be incredulous comments whether from me or someone else. Doubly so when it come to synthetic use. Clearly I'm not the first and won't be the last.

And as my previous quote shows, my reply was clearly directed to another poster.

Even with the short trips you are taking, a premium synthetic is still a waste for an interval of 3000 miles. You could realistically cut your expenses in half by going with a good conventional (PYB) if you insist on keeping your OCI at 3k.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Even with the short trips you are taking, a premium synthetic is still a waste for an interval of 3000 miles. You could realistically cut your expenses in half by going with a good conventional (PYB) if you insist on keeping your OCI at 3k.

In this case, I'd recommend Mobil Super 5000 ... good conventional oil. I use it in my 2004 Altima V6 with 5K OCIs and the engine is spotless inside.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
^^^^As long you continue post 3k mi. oci's here (Bitog), there will be incredulous comments whether from me or someone else. Doubly so when it come to synthetic use. Clearly I'm not the first and won't be the last.

And as my previous quote shows, my reply was clearly directed to another poster.

When I would ridicule members about using a filter for multiple OCIs a lot of them beat me up pretty bad! So, now I just say, "To each his own" and post a funny smiley or two.
If this member wants to change his oil every 3K miles, so be it. I do the same, sometimes.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back