Best all-season 16" with good snow performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

I've ordered a set of brand new Toyota OEM allows 205/55/16s for my Corolla, to replace the 195/65/15s. With this, I'm going to get a better set of tires on there than the "good for a year" tires that came with it.

I've read the Primacy MXV4 is a good tire, but I hear it's snow performance leaves a little to be desired. I don't do MUCH driving in the snow, but I do live in the Boston area, and there will be a few times every year where I will have to drive in snow. (I do NOT have a place to keep the old steelies and winter tires, so I need a good all-season tire).

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm having trouble finding the best tire for this purpose.

Thanks,
SMC

I have a set of Pirelli P4s - they are pretty good. I've heard good things about the Michelin Defenders and Hankook H727's. If you aren't concerned with the cost, I'd probably go with Defenders, if you want to save some cash the H727s.

Originally Posted By: Milkman
I am having very good luck with Cooper CS-4 's

I think that we have a similar climate but different vehicles.

Yep, the CS4's are not only good but a fair price also. Combined with some 205-55-16's you should feel pretty happy with the upgrade.

Sooooo, you're not getting a new mid-size after all......?

I have MXV4's on the Accord now and love them. They wear well, are quiet, and yet perform admirably in all conditions, including snow. Yes, I live in Boston, too. I've had them on for ~50k and they have plenty of tread left. The mxv4 and recently revised Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus are top rated on Tire Rack. Are the Michelins worth the premium? In my opinion, yes.

I have 215-55/16 MXV4 on my Olds GLS, and also think they are great in all conditions.

FYI, you have a Pete's tire near you in Woburn, MA. I bought from Pete's in CT. Their price was the same as Tire-Rack's price with delivery, and install was free.
If you can wait, Michelin has a $70 rebate offer at different times every few months.

If you want true 4 seasons

the only one currently available is the nokian WRG2

they are pricy however.

Due to pricing I went with separate tires and wheels (combined was cheaper than 4 nokian tires only)

Originally Posted By: k24a4
Sooooo, you're not getting a new mid-size after all......?

I have MXV4's on the Accord now and love them. They wear well, are quiet, and yet perform admirably in all conditions, including snow. Yes, I live in Boston, too. I've had them on for ~50k and they have plenty of tread left. The mxv4 and recently revised Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus are top rated on Tire Rack. Are the Michelins worth the premium? In my opinion, yes.

I've driven a Corolla with 205/55/16s and it's a world of difference, so I think this is the cheaper option to hold me for a few years.

Can I just use the lugs from my Steel wheels on the alloys? Also, will I have to have my speedometer/odometer re-calibrated?

I'm ok with spending a bit more for a quality all-season tire, no doubt.

I have the Michelin MXV4 in the same size on my RSX as well as my Civic. Could not be more happy with them for all conditions including winter driving. Will buy the same again next time.

Originally Posted By: smc733
Also, will I have to have my speedometer/odometer re-calibrated?

No. The outside diameter of 195/65/15 and 205/55/16 tires is practically the same.

I've driven a Corolla with 205/55/16s and it's a world of difference, so I think this is the cheaper option to hold me for a few years.

So here is the thing... if you want a tire that has a quick steering response (feels more sporty than what you currently have), then this will unfortunately not give you good snow performance. There is a trade off there. If you pick a tire that's great in the snow, you may be disappointed with its dry weather performance.

With that said, Conti DWS would be another tire worth a look in your situation. While the Nokian WR I suggested earlier may be better in snow, you just might be disappointed with it during summer.

Nokian WR G2 by a long shot. Better in winter with 35k on them than brand new and high touted Conti DWS ExtremeContacts.

If they seem really pricey I have had wonderful luck with John & Son's tires in Manchester NH. Drove 45mins each way to save $200 on a set.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

So here is the thing... if you want a tire that has a quick steering response (feels more sporty than what you currently have), then this will unfortunately not give you good snow performance. There is a trade off there. If you pick a tire that's great in the snow, you may be disappointed with its dry weather performance.

With that said, Conti DWS would be another tire worth a look in your situation. While the Nokian WR I suggested earlier may be better in snow, you just might be disappointed with it during summer.

Yea, I figure snow performance will be a minimum requirement, I just need a tire that won't be awful, fortunately, I don't think it will take much to be better than what I have now in terms of a better steering response.

I'm just hoping to eliminate the wandering feel of the steering on the highway, which the 205/55/16 I drove didn't seem to have. I figure making sure I get a quality tire can only help seal the deal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
I have a set of Pirelli P4s - they are pretty good. I've heard good things about the Michelin Defenders and Hankook H727's. If you aren't concerned with the cost, I'd probably go with Defenders, if you want to save some cash the H727s.

Originally Posted By: Milkman
I am having very good luck with Cooper CS-4 's

I think that we have a similar climate but different vehicles.
Originally Posted By: e55amgbenz007
Second on the DWS. I've owned several sets in the 205/55/16 flavor. Outstanding tire for nearly all weather conditions.

We have in our circle, all tire listed above and(AND) 205-55-16!!!

With this said, all of these tires do well in snow and your decision would now be on how much performance do you want besides good snow traction.

The P4's are decent performers
The DWS are even better perfromers
The H727's and CS4's, less so!

Last edited:

Can I just use the lugs from my Steel wheels on the alloys?

Yes. The bolts on which the lug nuts go are on the hub, which you are not changing. From inner to outer-hub-disc-caliper-wheel and tire.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I would consider these 2 tires if I was running them year round (not changing to snow tires). They both get great reviews. The Continentals seem to do just as well as dedicated snow tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp

your link doesnt work.

My dad has wrg2's on his 2013 outback. Very impressed with them in the winter. not quite upto dedicated good snow tires but at least as good as some of the cheaper snow tires I've used in the past.

They dont get greasy or squirmy in the summer much firmer than the stock conticontacts.

Just drove 1000miles in 90F+ heat and they were fine.. pulling a 2000lb trailer with 4 people in the car and luggage.

They also have good to very good hydroplaning resistance. and good wet and dry traction.. also they are somewhat LOW Rolling resistance but not amazingly low.

This last year had to make 6-7trips into Pennsylvania during snow storms. Had Semi's sliding off the road and getting stuck.. The WRG2's were excellent.

They really handle like a mild performance all season AND a decent snow tire.

Try to get the NON-XL rated ones if they are available in your size. The XL are abit bouncy unless you have a 4000LB+ vehicle.

Last edited:
The best tires I've ever had in the snow were Uniroyal Tiger Paws and Pirelli P4s. The worst I've had in the snow was Michelin MXV4 S8 Energy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back