Does rental car tracking concern you??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually rent through Alamo. This time around I rented at Thrifty. A long time ago i rented a vehicle at Budget and it had a Gps tracker on it. I swore I would never use budget again.

So I find out that when doing the paperwork at Thrifty, they also use GPS tracking. I really don't like to be be tracked, so scratch another one off the list.

Has anyone had problem associated with being tracked in rental car? I have read that some places will send you a fine for exceeding a certain speed in their vehicles.

Or is I's being too paranoid?

No, don't drive like a jerk.

Don't use it to commit a crime.

If you don't like being spied on you now have to move to Russia apparently.

And that Snowden guy? He's a hero.

Darn, now I'm being tracked!

You're being too paranoid. Drive the car responsibly like your own car and you'll be fine. They're only trying to protect their assets and prevent their cars from being TRASHED.

Who cares? Anyone who is tracking me really is seriously wasting their time and money and needs to get a life.

Originally Posted By: JethroBodine
Who cares? Anyone who is tracking me really is seriously wasting their time and money and needs to get a life.

Obviously the OP cares otherwise he wouldn't have posted.
grin.gif

Some finance companies install gps trackers in case you fall behind on payments. Makes it a lot easier to locate the car for a repo.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: JethroBodine

Obviously the OP cares otherwise he wouldn't have posted.
grin.gif

Seriously. OP doesnt need to rent a car, and can take his business elsewhere.

Despite all the advances in computing, it still costs money, infrastructure and people to keep up. I dont see what Thrifty, Budget, etc would do with the data in "benign" conditions, i.e. no theft or incidents causing a court case.

Quote:

Where everyone has a dash cam.....lol

In CT, a rental car company imposed a charge every time a car exceeded the posted limited; this info was gathered via GPS.

http://news.cnet.com/State-puts-brakes-on-GPS-speeding-fines/2100-1040_3-269388.html

fortunately

Quote:

The Department of Consumer Protection has requested that Acme sign a cease-and-desist order banning it from charging consumers the speeding fine and providing restitution to the more than two-dozen consumers who have been charged.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

Where everyone has a dash cam.....lol

In CT, a rental car company imposed a charge every time a car exceeded the posted limited; this info was gathered via GPS.

http://news.cnet.com/State-puts-brakes-on-GPS-speeding-fines/2100-1040_3-269388.html

fortunately

Quote:

The Department of Consumer Protection has requested that Acme sign a cease-and-desist order banning it from charging consumers the speeding fine and providing restitution to the more than two-dozen consumers who have been charged.

I have mixed feelings about this...

The rental car agency isnt law enforcement, so they dont have say on if/how someone is breaking the law.

That said, the rental car is private property, and so the OWNER should be able to dictate how it is used and ensure that something with such killing/damage potential be used in a proper and safe manner.

Personally Id just put a speed limiter on it and set it to 72 or so... But GPS kills two birds with one stone since it also allows for tracking of missing/stolen/non-returned cars.

It doesnt bother me..too many conspiracy theories. So they know where you are, big deal. As long as your legit whats the cause for concern? I dont understand whats so scary. So they can track car if its stolen or entering Mexico when it shouldnt.

Just because someone pays $25/day doesn't mean they own a $25,000 car and can do whatever they please with it. Unless you want to pay for 1000 days upfront and own the car outright.

Thou worries too much about such. We are being watched and tracked even when we aren't renting a vehicle.

Nothing to hide? Nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back