One of the most intersting bike ever built

Status
Not open for further replies.
256 horsepower per liter! Pretty impressive. Just think, to equal that hp/displacement ratio a Chevy 350 would have to put out over 1459 HP!!!

Honda also built a 5 cylinder 125 road race bike around this same time period. Over 20K rpm with the 5 tiny 25cc pistons!! These bikes were well ahead of their time!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that's cool.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: quarterliter
I would hate to sync all those carbs!
it appears by the various vids Ive seen of the 250 and 125 bikes they don't have an idle circuit in these things due to the constant revving to keep them going. Your hand cant leave the throttle.

And even in street bikes. Replacing coiled valve springs with torsion bar springs in the famous CB450 was a bold and odd move also.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
I'd rather hear what a Harley sounds like.,, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFMdeXujgHw

A well built Harley engine is a wonderful thing to listen to. Eric Buell had some air-cooled XBRR race engines that were simply a treat to listen to. 4 inch bore and 3.11 inch stroke (exactly backwards from typical Harley long stroke engines)

I heard one at Daytona practice during race week. WOW!

But, I have to say that I prefer more modern engines to a generic Harley.

ironically, though it came out in 1966 (47 years ago for those who are numerically challenged), the little Honda six is more technologically advanced than a brand new Hog......... Yes, we don't all like potatoes.... though I must confess to enjoy eating them......

Originally Posted By: Mik
ironically, though it came out in 1966 (47 years ago for those who are numerically challenged), the little Honda six is more technologically advanced than a brand new Hog......... Yes, we don't all like potatoes.... though I must confess to enjoy eating them......
Too bad out of the thousands of advanced Hondas that were ever made, only a few actually have someone that remembers them. Why doesn't all that technology stand the test of time? The japanese bikes have to keep getting reinvented and marketed as the next new thing. Harley's may be perceived as "tractors", but tractors last a long time. Like they say if it ain't broke and still outsells the rest, don't fix it.,,,

I will give Harley credit for one thing: marketing. They went from being esentially bankrupt at the start of the 80s to being a fairly successful company today. They have managed to create allegiance and desire for their product to millions of people, a fact that has made them the envy of many, many companies and surely results in them being studied in business schools around the world. They have also succeeded in developing an enviable accessories catalogue that seems to be required attire for all Harley-philes. However, their clientele is fairly narrow in scope, the vast majority being baby boomers who, at some point, will drop the Hog and move on to the next "flavour of the day".

In finishing, one should not confuse popularity with any inherent mechanical or design excellence...... Millions of people smoke too, does that make it good for you?

and one last thing: could you please tell your Harley cohorts to keep mufflers on their tractors, the numbers of riding areas being closed off to motorcycles due to their antics is annoying to those of use who actually respect our fellow citizens by keeping our bikes muffled......

Originally Posted By: Mik

and one last thing: could you please tell your Harley cohorts to keep mufflers on their tractors, the numbers of riding areas being closed off to motorcycles due to their antics is annoying to those of use who actually respect our fellow citizens by keeping our bikes muffled......
Most people that make their bikes louder, usually do so to be more noticeable to drivers who are in their own world on the phone or texting.I haven't met a rider that hasn't been cut off by a car or truck, at least once. Talking about causing restrictions, how about the zoom-splats that ride at more then twice the highest posted speed in the country? Is there really a reason to own and ride a bike that fast on the street? Doing wheelies on the road right next to your car? Thank them for your high insurance rates. Do you think its only Harley's getting laws passed?.Guys that buy dirt bikes, and quads that don't have a legal place to ride them get tougher laws passed. It's too bad the rest of the motoring public doesn't always respect a motorcyclist right to exist, so I'll be rude and let them know where I am via some tractor noise.,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back