Center Tubes... Grater style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clarcor's brand filters use a different style center tube.. to me it resembles a Grater... lots and lots of small holes, as opposed to an array of larger holes. If you've not seen one, here's a few shots...

LF115.jpg

hydraulic2.jpg

I was wondering is there's any opinion on if this design is better or worse than the other guys.

I think it's a good design personally.

I've seen no empirical data to show the grater/slotted design to be either better or worse. Just the design preference of the manufacturer.

Fyi, Champ uses the same slotted design.

As long as there are enough holes to allow unimpeded flow, and not too many to compromise structural integrity, design is pretty much up to the whim of the manufacturer.

Here's a Toyota TRD filter made by Champion Labs/Fram:

LC200TRDOilFilterCutaway_20MAY13_zps0a7e49d8.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
As long as there are enough holes to allow unimpeded flow, and not too many to compromise structural integrity, design is pretty much up to the whim of the manufacturer.

Pretty much the bottom line. Doubt that and fancy design is going to make the oil go through the filter better ... ie, a "Tornado center tube" so to speak.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I've seen no empirical data to show the grater/slotted design to be either better or worse.

Opinions vary. Before you throw the filter away cut the center tube from the filter, sterilize it, and use it as a cheese grater.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: sayjac
I've seen no empirical data to show the grater/slotted design to be either better or worse.

Opinions vary. Before you throw the filter away cut the center tube from the filter, sterilize it, and use it as a cheese grater.
crackmeup2.gif

Good one BlueOval

The puro design center cage always gave me the impression that there weren't enough holes. I know this is not the case, but that's how it looks to the naked eye when you compare it to other center tube designs like the ones mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back