Idea for a new Porsche?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
This is from Porsche's Facebook wall:

https://www.facebook.com/porsche/posts/10151741186572668

Long story short, apparently some people think Porsche should build a small front-engined car to compete with the BMW 1-Series. I think that's a VERY good idea, so I thought I'd spread the word. With enough likes, maybe Porsche will notice...

Why? It will just be a rebadged VW/Audi if they do it....
09.gif

They'd better not mimic the new 1-series as it is going to be a FWD car.
smile.gif

On the other hand, we already have a small RWD Porsche - it's called the Boxster.
smile.gif

I noticed they're asking for it to be a 4-seater, but in a car the size of a 1-series, are the rear seats really that usable? How many people buy the 1-series with the intention to carry 4 people?

The 1-Series's back seats will accommodate adults. It's not something you'd like to cram people into for hours on end, but it works -- unlike, say, the "back seats" in a Porsche 911.

I think this could be clearly distinct from the Boxster and Cayman. More comfortable and practical with a more accessible performance envelope, but with less sharpness and sportiness.

I was talking with my Dad a while back and we concluded that there really isn't a no-compromise upgrade for his 128i -- at any price. Even given unlimited money, anything else he could buy would either be bigger and heavier or lose the back seat. If Porsche were to build a car like this, it'd be a slam-dunk for my Dad.

In fact, I'm having trouble thinking of a person in my life for whom some version of this car would not be ideal...

So you want Porsche to make an econobox? An upscale econobox, but an econobox nonetheless.

I think the 1-Series looks like a toy car and I wouldn't drive one if it was given to me for free. It has made me lose some desire for owning a BMW. I don't want to lose my desire to own a Porsche.

But I sure am glad there are folks like Justin Menda out there in the world who know more about Porsche's strengths and possible market opportunities than their own development and marketing folks.

Looks like the writer is proposing a H.O.6 powered 924 2+2.

I don't think that Porsche wants to regress to that.

It's going to be pricey to develop. Might push them up just short of Panamera V6 territory.

You're not going to like this....but the most likely way for this to happen? Audi TT architecture. Going to have to go AWD of course. Torque vectoring and rear drive bias. That's still going to be expensive. Probably have to go with the Boxster's 252 hp HO-6.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
So you want Porsche to make an econobox? An upscale econobox, but an econobox nonetheless.

I think the 1-Series looks like a toy car and I wouldn't drive one if it was given to me for free. It has made me lose some desire for owning a BMW. I don't want to lose my desire to own a Porsche.

This is exactly the kind of mentality that is dragging down so many formerly great brands, including BMW.

"The 1-Series is small, therefore it's an econobox, therefore I don't want one." Not a shred of interest in how the car actually drives (i.e. better than almost anything on the road, dollar-for-dollar).

No wonder so many modern BMWs are junk to drive. Trying to appeal to people who won't look past the badge...

I am still floored the 135is at a local dealership was $47,000

A few fans who want a pure driving car might buy it. However an odd duck of a car.

Hire Subaru they did a wonderful job on BRZ and once they drop a turbo motor in and spend time tweaking it(they always do) another interesting drive.

A turbocharger achieves power at the expense of responsiveness. Seems completely the opposite of what the BRZ was designed for...

Actually BMW is one of the few brands I have ever driven with a turbo that actually had real throttle responsiveness. 335is.

Mercedes is coming with their little FWD, why not Porsche too?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
A turbocharger achieves power at the expense of responsiveness. Seems completely the opposite of what the BRZ was designed for...

Alright... how about a supercharger?

Not as bad, as long as it's a roots-type blower.

Nothing beats natural aspiration, though.

Even though turbos are technically a supercharger I am certain you meant a belt driven one.

And I have always loved an N/A engine with a smooth power curve that swells up to redline...

Last edited:
When contemplating an entry level Porsche, remember that this is Porsche. When they make it cheaper (ie: cloth door pulls, etc...) it will cost you more.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
When contemplating an entry level Porsche, remember that this is Porsche. When they make it cheaper (ie: cloth door pulls, etc...) it will cost you more.

And no one has more add on stuff to run the sticker up than Porsche!

I would rather have a used 3 series than a new 1 series. Porsche has it's entry level car for people who can't afford a 911 it's called the Boxster.
Anything more cheapens the brand.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
...Porsche has it's entry level car for people who can't afford a 911 it's called the Boxster.
Anything more cheapens the brand.

This is the defining post of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back