Indoor Shooting Range - What do you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Win

A significant, seasonal, amusement (water) park is going to be built across the street from a piece of property I have.

I thought I might try to take advantage of their marketing and advertising dollars and try to poach some of their customers, specifically Dad, who might take an hour or two to shoot at an indoor range while everyone else is across the street. It's way too hot to shoot outside for much of the year here.

The people that I've talked to that have ranges seem to think a "pro" shop (gun sales) is essential. Most seem to use the well proven prefab lanes, bullet traps, HVAC, etc.

So what else is desirable?

How long do the lanes need to be?

Does there need to be one or more rifle lanes?

What is a reasonable price for an hour of range time? Would you pay extra for a rifle lane?

What hours should it be open?

Ventilation and fresh air requirements are onerous, so I thought I might take advantage of that and maybe put in a cigar smoking room for when one is done shooting. Would that be desirable?

What about firearms storage lockers for people that don't want to keep them at their house (or until they figure out how to tell the wife they bought another one)?

I figure there will be food across the street, so other than vending machines, I wouldn't want to fool with that.

Any other ideas?

This is purely speculative tire kicking at this point, and I may well do something else with the property, but they are letting bids now for the place across the street, so I want to do something with my place in the next year or two.

It's a big piece of property, so I'll probably put something else on it in addition to the possible range, just to hedge my bets.

There is a fantastic indoor range called Shoot Smart in north Fort Worth, TX just a few miles south of Cabelas on IH-35 that has the best set up I have seen. I know it is a long drive for you from Arkansas but it might be worth the trip to take a look if you are seriously considering getting into the business. This place has a set-up that really caters to shooters and it shows because they are constantly busy.

I'm in Dallas frequently, so it's not that out of the way for me.

Unfortunately, the population is sparse here, the four county SMSA is only about 300K people. I don't know if that's enough people.

The place going in across the street will be a govt. owned facility, otherwise, I have my doubts about it making it.

I voted against it on principle, even though it makes my property worth a lot more.

Rifle range -YES!

I actually prefer outdoors, wonder if you could come up with some kind of a hybrid. Good ventilation is a must. I don't mind cigars at all, but need to prevent the situation from turning into everyone coming out stinky.

My favorite range is public, just outside Monterey, CA. I like outdoor targets that are metal and you can hit to spin and make noise. Of course many like to cut paper and have motorized returns, so I think the whole hybrid approach is good.

Plus you can start up cheaper with the outdoor section.

Having live pigeon shoots now and again would be fun too.

I like just being charged a bit extra on range ammo.

I don't like being rushed.

But, I prefer shooting outdoors in any weather condition including rain.

Paper targets get very boring.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Rifle range -YES!

I actually prefer outdoors, wonder if you could come up with some kind of a hybrid.

I don't see how, not in the city limits, anyway.

Would you pay some premium for a rifle range over a regular lane (Remember that you can shoot handgun caliber carbines on the handgun ranges)?

I can only imagine the outrage at people shooting live pigeons. The angst might be good free advertising, though (I'm ok with it, personally).

Air quality would be the highest concern to me. After that, I'd prefer to be able to shoot my own reloads. I know that comes with increased liability to you, the owner; but I'm a tightwad shooting 38's so that is where I'm coming from. [Speaking of which, I know the Bullseye powder I use smokes "a lot" when used indoors.] I guess you'd have to balance making money off ammo sales vs liability.

Rifle range is good, but I wonder if you might want something intermediate, for 22's. I think 25 yards is "common" for max distance in a pistol range, but kinda short for a 22 rifle. Yet I bet a good amount of people would love to plink away with their lower cost 22's on a 50 yard line. Traps should be simpler for 22's. Heck, you could just make some "22 only" lanes, maybe charge a bit less.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd pay more than $10/hour, but, like I said, I'm cheap.

Depending upon what the local work hours are, being open for the hour or two prior to work, the lunch hour and a couple hours after work might yield some customers. Probably out until 10pm or so for a few who would go after the kids head off to bed. Gotta figure, retired guys will go when the lanes are least in use, while all the working stiffs have to go when their hours allow.

Metal targets are nice, but I'd be fine with paper indoors. Outdoors would be different. I shoot indoors to beat the weather, and would only be there for short periods of time.

Personally, I don't smoke and wouldn't want to be in a smokehouse. That said, you might have something there, a smokehouse next to a shooting range. Throw in a grille and a bar and you could have the start of a decent men's club. Not that you're aiming just for the male population, just saying, having all that under one roof might be all the publicity you could ever need. At least that is what popped into my mind when you spoke about cigars.

Sound proofing. I know that it sounds stupid, but I was just at an indoor range this morning, and aside from being charged $16 for 5 minutes, the sound was heinous. I can't see sound proofing the whole range, but at least the part behind the line, put something aside from concrete up.

Originally Posted By: Win
Rifle range -YES!

I actually prefer outdoors, wonder if you could come up with some kind of a hybrid.

I don't see how, not in the city limits, anyway.

Would you pay some premium for a rifle range over a regular lane (Remember that you can shoot handgun caliber carbines on the handgun ranges)?

I can only imagine the outrage at people shooting live pigeons. The angst might be good free advertising, though (I'm ok with it, personally).

You said it was a big lot, so youll have to do the studies on noise, etc. Sure there may be an ordinance on discharge of firearms outdoors, but there are likely ways around it. We have outdoor clubs here in NJ that are on a closed property, but within town limits - surely they are more lax in AR.

You could make it a "club", the way they do with alcohol in UT, and then charge a membership of $1 or something to join each visit. Gets you a tiny profit right up front.

Id pay a reasonable amount extra for rifle. Alternately, you might require range ammo only, and make a reasonable profit off that. If it is obscene, go scratch, its not worth paying an arm and a leg for it. Im not sure indoor rifle does much for me though. Long-range with clangy-noisy targets would be best to me...

Call me cheap but a $1 or $2 is a good premium for the rifle range unless it really brings something to the table. I cant see paying an extra $10+/hr to use it, myself.

I personally shoot handgun caliber carbines for cost and practicality, but it doesnt mean that I can get the distance I want in an indoor range...

Our local range is open 10-6, 7 days.

They:
-sell new and consignment firearms of all types.
-Offer rental guns and rental full-auto weapons.
-Some gunsmithing on site. Sights, smaller things.
-Offer a large selection of cutting implements.
-Offer range bags, rifle cases, holsters, mag pouches, eye/ear protections, lubes, maint items.
-Clean place. Nice guys. No nonsense.
-After hours classes for new shooters, CCW, advanced shooters.
-Static lanes, 25 yard max, well lit, no FMJ ammo of any rifle calibers, no outside targets can be brought in, 7 handgun lanes, 6 rifle/pistol lanes.
-IIRC, $8 for 1/2 hr lane charge. Targets pricing varies.
-Memberships available. Members made to feel special(ish).
-Ammo available at time of lane rental. Reasonable prices. Selection may vary with available.
-Bring in weapons cased and empty. No loading until at the lane. Firearms always point down range. I see nothing specifically about pulling from CCW and firing, and have not asked. I think it's kinda don't ask/don't tell. Concealed means concealed.

I wouldn't think it wise to allow for gun lockers on site. No telling what would be actually kept in them and what the danger and liability might be incurred.

.... We have outdoor clubs here in NJ that are on a closed property, but within town limits - surely they are more lax in AR.

Not lax locally, anyway, perhaps in other municipalities. But with a public park on one side, and an airport a few hundred yards away on the other, I don't see it being a responsible location for outdoor rifle shooting, in any event.

Economically, it would be a bad judgment anyway - this kind of land is way too valuable just to leave empty and open so bullets can cross it at longish distances. There are higher and better uses. I'm stuck with indoors if I do it at all - probably 25-35 yards, max.

Well, that is what it is then. Have a good rental program, and supply of ammo, let dad go there to shoot, and it sounds good.

Then again, while I love to go to the range, I can't imagine abandoning my family when going to the park or whatever is going up,nearby.

We go to Targetmaster in Chadds Ford, PA. you can just search them. The website it very accurate. The lanes are 25 yds. They rent full auto guns (they lock them to a cable so somebody can't get stupid). If you can provide this level of amenities, you may attract couples as well as Dad. My wife won't shoot anywhere else. Just make sure your staff aren't anally enhanced.

Things I love about indoor ranges:

I love it when they smell like Wolf ammo gun smoke, cat [censored], burning oil, and cigarettes even in the non-shooting areas.

I love the surly counter guy that makes off-hand comments about my wife being there to pick up my brass and how his "fortuh figh" from the war is the only handgun worth a [censored].

I love it when I am limited to 1 shot per second.

I love it when I'm told I can't collect my own brass.

I love it when the A/C doesn't work.

I love it when the target holders don't work.

I love it when the target trolley doesn't work.

I love it when the men's room looks (and smells!) like the bathroom from "SAW", only dirtier.

I love it when they sell the same ammo I can get at Wal-mart but they have it for 3x the price.

I love it when I'm told a 9mm or .22LR AR is not allowed because rifles are not allowed. But "Shoot as much .357 Mag and .44 Mag as you want, son."

I love it when there's no parking lot and I have to park two blocks away.

Yes sir, that's what I love about indoor ranges. Do that, and you'll make a fortune.

I think more ranges are needed everywhere. Indoor ranges are "ok" but most I've visited are as strat81 points out. We joined an indoor range near our house when we first moved to Pa and found it to be suitable....not too crowded but still limited as to how many shots per minute, nix on picking up brass except in YOUR immediate area (no, it doesn't matter where your auto throws it....if it's not at your feet, the range owns it), and it just felt too confining for us. Surprisingly, they did have a rifle range attached and even allowed .50BMG's there....I fired ours there ONCE....it was just to make noise.....at 50 yards I was 18" high on target and the concussion was a little much since there was a wall about 3' from the muzzle brake.

In the end, we found and purchased enough property (which was our plan anyway) to build our own range and part of it is covered so we can shoot in any weather.

Good luck with your plan though and I wish you much success in your new business!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back