2009 Honda CRV Used Diff. Fluid 28,272 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know nothing about this fluid (Dual Pump II) as too virgin specs and the company that analyized it did not supply this information. Test results on used diff. fluid below.

2009 Honda CRV EX-L (all wheel drive)

Miles on fluid: 28,272
Miles on vehicle: 28,272

Fluid: Original fluid fill: Dual Pump II

Replacement: Dual Pump II

Fe 67
Cr 1
Mo 0
Al 2
Cu 15
Pb 0
Si 18
Sn 0
Ti 12
Ni 0
Ag 0
Si 18
Na 4
K 3
Zn 4
Mg 242
Mn 8
P 193
B 297
Ba 24
Zn 322
Ca 492
kV cSt @40C 26.0
kV cSt @100C 5.20
Anti-freeze neg
Fuel neg
Water neg

Wear control chart: 103.4

Last edited:
Just like your tranny UOA, the factory fill is full of break-in wear. So it's hard to really get a good view of "wear".

Overall, I see nothing shocking here. The metals will come down as the unit ages and you flush out break-in metals.

This fluid has always been a puzzler to me. I understand that it used to be that you could use the Honda ATF in the rear of a CR-V in a pinch or if no Dual Pump fluid was available. This doesn't say a whole heck of a lot about the properties of the fluid, but it does indicate that it's at least somewhat similar in nature to ATF. I do believe that using ATF is no longer mentioned in the owner's manual, and one is to use only the Dual Pump fluid.

This fluid appears similar to their ATF on paper. It has some Boron, some Magnesium, some Zinc, some Calcium...and all at similar concentrations compared with the ATF. It's also somewhat close in "sheared" viscosity, 5.2 cSt vs. 5.7 cSt from your ATF UOA. It's clear instead of red, so we know it's not literally the same product in both bottles...though the Dual Pump II could simply be un-dyed DW-1.

Very interesting to say the least.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
This fluid has always been a puzzler to me. I understand that it used to be that you could use the Honda ATF in the rear of a CR-V in a pinch or if no Dual Pump fluid was available. This doesn't say a whole heck of a lot about the properties of the fluid, but it does indicate that it's at least somewhat similar in nature to ATF. I do believe that using ATF is no longer mentioned in the owner's manual, and one is to use only the Dual Pump fluid.

This fluid appears similar to their ATF on paper. It has some Boron, some Magnesium, some Zinc, some Calcium...and all at similar concentrations compared with the ATF. It's also somewhat close in "sheared" viscosity, 5.2 cSt vs. 5.7 cSt from your ATF UOA. It's clear instead of red, so we know it's not literally the same product in both bottles...though the Dual Pump II could simply be un-dyed DW-1.

I suspect that Honda's differential fluid supplier uses the hydrotreating process, or some evolution from that process, which was developed originally by Gulf Researh and Development when there was still a Gulf Oil in the 1970's and 1980's.

Gulf was able to refine mineral based oil to an absolutely clear product which you than added the colour of your choice to.

Do not use this stuff in a S2000! Honda parts will try to sell it to you and it will destroy the differential very quickly.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

The Honda Dual Pump II product I received was actually pink coming out of the previously sealed bottle. So they are colouring it.

Iron of only 67 after nearly 30,000 miles? Looks good to me ... or are wear numbers that low typical of an open-diff (assuming the CRV diff is open)??

For those who may read this and drive Gen 1 CR-Vs, do not trust the owner's manual change interval for the rear differential. Replace it every 30k miles.

From some of the Honda boards I've visited, Dual Pump II is the only fluid to use (again, at least in the Gen 1s). Other fluids can cause driveability problems.

We've owned our 2001 CR-V since new. At 50k miles, the fluid was changed because of weird noises and chattering from the rear end. Same problems popped up around 85k.

Changing it is easy - remove the fill plug, remove the drain plug, drain fluid, replace drain plug, fill with fluid until overflowing, replace fill plug. Should take a little bit more than one quart of fluid, so buy two.

A local dealer wanted $100 to change it. Uh, yeah, for $15 in fluid, and 20 minutes of my time, I'll do it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back