Don't go 150,000 miles on Transmission fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is a summary from Blackstone:

"This sample from your Milan's transmission looks pretty good for a wear in sample. If it was really in
use for 36,700 miles, this material is probably from the initial wear in of new parts. Aluminum is probably
from the torque converter, tin and nickel are probably coatings or alloys of other metals, and silicon is
probably from the harmless sealers used to assemble the transmission. Insolubles read high, showing lots
of oxidized solids. It's probably a good idea to change this oil out before insolubles get abrasive. Averages
are based on about 23,500 miles so try that on new oil."

Wow, only 36,700 miles and I already need to change my transmission fluid. Ford recommended 150,000 miles. Don't do it!!

Interesting....car model? Year? What did you replace it with? Mind posting the report?

Must be the 5sp auto. Ford dealer recommended to my coworker a change at 50K; after I reasearched I advised doing it.

Another reason I'm glad I have (2) sticks.

It's a 2010 Mercury Milan. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to upload the report. I plan on replacing it with Motorcraft, but if there's something better then I'd be willing to try.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Must be the 5sp auto. Ford dealer recommended to my coworker a change at 50K; after I reasearched I advised doing it.

Another reason I'm glad I have (2) sticks.

No, it's a 6-speed automatic, 3.0L V6.

Try a synthetic trans fluid. I recommend Amsoil fuel efficient fluid. I know it will work in your car. I'm not sure about Mobil 1 or others but I know amsoil will work and should last a lot longer than what your fill did.

I apologize for not including enough info on my first post. A month ago I bought a 2010 Mercury Milan Premier FWD, with 3.0L V6 and 6-speed auto. This is the 6F35 transmission that Ford had problems with when it first came out. I decided to send a transmission fluid sample to Blackstone and this is what they said. Unfortunately I'm not able to upload the whole report.

"This sample from your Milan's transmission looks pretty good for a wear in sample. If it was really in
use for 36,700 miles, this material is probably from the initial wear in of new parts. Aluminum is probably
from the torque converter, tin and nickel are probably coatings or alloys of other metals, and silicon is
probably from the harmless sealers used to assemble the transmission. Insolubles read high, showing lots
of oxidized solids. It's probably a good idea to change this oil out before insolubles get abr
asi
ve.
Averages

I'm shocked that I have to change the transmission fluid after 36,700 miles. Ford said it should be good to go to 150,000 miles, but they were obviously wrong. If you have a 6F35 transmission then please keep this in mind.

This adds merit to do a drain and fill early, then every 15,000 miles.

Ordering a trans pan that has an aftermarket drain plug on it at the first pan drop and filter change.

The old pan is already off, so it is just a swap in with the new pan.

This allows you to do drain and fills easier than an oil change for each subsequent drain and fill.

No offense to the OP and any of the commenters, but we need to see the report. Blackstone's comments are usually of the throw-away variety, IMO. Take what they say with a grain of salt (which isn't bad for you now, I guess)

Originally Posted By: lubedude13
Try a synthetic trans fluid. I recommend Amsoil fuel efficient fluid. I know it will work in your car. I'm not sure about Mobil 1 or others but I know amsoil will work and should last a lot longer than what your fill did.

That trans will use Mercon LV. The only compatible fluids I know of is the knew formulation of Maxlife Dex/Merc (now Mercon LV compatible but not V) and Motorcraft LV

After much investigation I just ordered a case of 12 bottles of the Motorcraft LV for my new to me winter car (2008 Focus)

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
No offense to the OP and any of the commenters, but we need to see the report. Blackstone's comments are usually of the throw-away variety, IMO. Take what they say with a grain of salt (which isn't bad for you now, I guess)

I second that, 23,500 miles recomended OCI for the tranny fluid seems pretty often for a PC. Id like to see the report too. Interesting topic.

Originally Posted By: tamedcowboy
I apologize for not including enough info on my first post. A month ago I bought a 2010 Mercury Milan Premier FWD, with 3.0L V6 and 6-speed auto. This is the 6F35 transmission that Ford had problems with when it first came out. I decided to send a transmission fluid sample to Blackstone and this is what they said. Unfortunately I'm not able to upload the whole report.

of oxidized solids. It's probably a good idea to change this oil out before insolubles get abr
asi
ve.
Averages

I'm shocked that I have to change the transmission fluid after 36,700 miles. Ford said it should be good to go to 150,000 miles, but they were obviously wrong. If you have a 6F35 transmission then please keep this in mind.

Maybe a Magnefine inline filter is in order.

Originally Posted By: cmorr

That trans will use Mercon LV. The only compatible fluids I know of is the knew formulation of Maxlife Dex/Merc (now Mercon LV compatible but not V) and Motorcraft LV

The Amsoil ATL covers Mercon LV.

Even Amsoil says 100K normal and 50K severe. But more people are probably in the "severe" category than they think.
After much investigation I just ordered a case of 12 bottles of the Motorcraft LV for my new to me winter car (2008 Focus)

A drain and fill only changes about 1/3rd of the fluid.

So if you do a drain and fill every 20,000 miles or completely flush for new fluid every 60,000 miles the expense is the same.

Only, the drain and fill is a gentler approach, easier and safer to do, replenishes the add pack along the way without letting the fluid build up too many wear materials and metals along the way.

A once a year drain and fill in the Spring while you have the car on stands to change the oil and tires over is what I do.

I'd re-drop the pan every third drain and fill to change the trans filter.

Also, keep a spare trans pan gasket, as they get brittle and leak eventually.

Having a drain plug on the trans pan makes re-dropping the pan much easier and less messy.

Originally Posted By: cmorr

Where did you get that MaxLife is not Mer V compatible?? Valvoline says the old and new version meet or exceed the spec. The concern was the lower viscosity beginning point but that was supposedly offset by the lack of shear of the Maxlife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back