Saturn S-Series Common problems SOHC versus DOHC??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know of issues that are common problems on the Saturn S-Series SOHC engines that don't really crop up on the DOHC?

I've only had SL2's before and am aware of a lot of the common problems the s-series has like oil burning and thermostats come to mind, but wondering is there was anything unique to the SL/SL1/SC1 that I should look out for.

Thanks in advance.

My '00 SL cracked a head also. Would have been an early '00, as I bought it in early March 2000. Covered under warranty.

The head cracking is the biggest one. It is not that common, but not uncommon either.
The other big one is on the 00 models and up, they have faulty intake manifold gaskets which can cause odd misfires and strange behavior.

I have had both SOHC and DOHC and I never had any of the major common flaws. Just other random issues.

Was the cracked head solved for in '01 and '02 models or was it just much less common for it to occur?

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
The head cracking is the biggest one. It is not that common, but not uncommon either.

After reading the responses so far I looking for more details online - I read this affected between 2% and 5% of the SOHCs. I guess as high as 1 in 20 is not really great for how extensive the problem would be.

Are you looking at a 1995 model? The way they implemented Multi Port Injection that year was weird. Some OBD1 stuff her, some OBD2 stuff there. 94 and earlier had an extremely weak TBI engine, 96 and up had all OBD2 so diagnosis wasn't as hard.

Likely something newer, maybe '99 through '02 (maybe '00 - '02 based on the above). Rust becomes an issue here quickly.

I have a 95 and 00 long term, and flipped a bunch as well. They both have been super. 2000 gets you an air pump and pre-cat manifold. This causes issues for dropping the front exhaust flex pipe; the heat from the pre-cat rusts the fasteners to dust. Though I suppose a similar year twin cam would have this issue. My 2000 has an EVAP leak that goes away for months then comes and goes. I suspect a canister purge solenoid. The newer your car, the more potential OBDII headaches you may encounter. The 1996s in particular throw a "cam sensor" code that's bad coils/ grounds/ ignition wires.

The 2000 with Motorola PCM at least seems more linear/ smooth in accelleration. I suspect they did something to the knock sensor/ timing curve to acheive this. The downer, in stick shift world, is a lenghtly 2000 RPM between-shift "dashpot" idle that's not on the older cars.

Exhaust ports on a 2000 head are way smaller than previous but somehow (cam?) makes the same HP.

They say the 2000+ pistons are better; a better rod ratio and finally some decent oil rings. My 2000 consumes/leaks a tolerable amount, maybe qt in 700 miles at 195k. My 95 got a ring job at 175k when burning was 450 miles per quart.

Somehow the twin cam motors can smoke like chimneys and still run all right. The SOHC ones get into knock retard and get very doggy. The twin cam puts the spark plug in a technically superior central location.

If you want economy, make a mongrel of a twin cam with MP2 sohc tall geared transmission.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back