New car, first oil change --- when?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the casted parts, sealers, shop filth, and break in metal floating around that the oil filter just can't trap, the oil is very abrasive on the micron level.

I change my mind from 2 early changes.

Make it 3 if you love the car. It is really cheap to do.

I have seen MANY UOAs from factory fills at this point, along with everyone else on this site.

I think an early change, even if you are throwing away Honda Unicorn Blood along with the factory fill, or Pixie Dust....

An early couple of changes would be best IMO.

Some UOAs on factory fills can have upwards of 130ppm of iron, ~80ppm copper, ~5-6ppm lead, ~15-20 ppm Aluminum....

Get it out even if you just sleep better, I mean it is a NEW CAR!

Originally Posted By: OriginHacker21
Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Whenever the oil change monitor goes off.

Even if the oil change monitor says to go 12,000 miles on Factory Fill? (2013 Honda Civic - and mine's telling me just that).

Yes. There's no reason to be afraid of the factory fill. It's not like it leaves the factory with 30 weight ND in it. As for leftover casting particles, that's why it has a filter on it.

If it were mine I would disconnect the OLM or put some tape over the light/display.
When the manufacturer states to or 1K-3K miles. That's what I would do.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

If it were mine I would disconnect the OLM or put some tape over the light/display.

Curious,would you do the same with a check engine light?

I thought I was in a time warp! is it really 1965 again?

I just sold a 2004 van with 500k miles on it that ran perfectly, silently, smoothly, never used oil, etc.

Purchased new and always changed by the OLM. Please tell me how I hurt it?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I just sold a 2004 van with 500k miles on it that ran perfectly, silently, smoothly, never used oil, etc.

But .... the OLM is designed to make sure you buy a new car every 5-10 years by making sure the engine is absolutely destroyed! Don't you care about your cars?

I'm one to talk... when I got my first car (04 Sunfire) I put GC Green in it every 3k miles AND got UOAs. Had people begging me to use my almost fresh oil. Later on in its 246k life - I was doing 10-15k runs on Mobil 1.

That said... I'm having a REAL hard time with my 2013 Civic wanting me to go 14k on the factory fill. I imagine my engine being one of those sludging Jeep engines in a recent thread. Or I imagine the engine losing horsepower ... Had to do EVERYTHING in my power to keep from buying oil at Wal-Mart yesterday and change it myself. My wife will tell you - I stood there for 15 minutes trying to decide (in the oil isle).

Was it a Ford?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: DragRace
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

Curious,would you do the same with a check engine light?

How do know I was not being funny or sarcastic?
Does it really matter?
35.gif

But .... the OLM is designed to make sure you buy a new car every 5-10 years by making sure the engine is absolutely destroyed! Don't you care about your cars?

I'm one to talk... when I got my first car (04 Sunfire) I put GC Green in it every 3k miles AND got UOAs. Had people begging me to use my almost fresh oil. Later on in its 246k life - I was doing 10-15k runs on Mobil 1.

That said... I'm having a REAL hard time with my 2013 Civic wanting me to go 14k on the factory fill. I imagine my engine being one of those sludging Jeep engines in a recent thread. Or I imagine the engine losing horsepower ... Had to do EVERYTHING in my power to keep from buying oil at Wal-Mart yesterday and change it myself. My wife will tell you - I stood there for 15 minutes trying to decide (in the oil isle).

I would be that way too. Get a sample pump and send it in for a test when you can't stand it any more. If its OK, keep going to the end of the OLM and sample again. If you are not significantly below spec, back it off to say the 15% level or so.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
Follow the manual. They made the car, they should know when to change the oil.

Agreed.

For new vehicles perhaps further savings could be made by not producing an OEM operating manual.
27.gif

Seems to have low priority on this site by some.
31.gif

Last edited:
A little OT, but how do you like it? My daughter really likes these cars, but I have heard/read some armchair reviews of the transmission and they were not so positive.

Any photos?

Like I said & I think others will agree, give it till Sept. then change it. Fresh oil for the fall & winter months and at that point switch to synthetic since the engine is well beyond broken in.

My son's 2013 Dodge Dart - the OLM came on with the FF around 9000 miles - we got around to changing it at 9400 miles. Oil looked fine, medium brown on the dipstick - minimal fuel smell. Probably could have gone longer, but since it has a 100k mile drive train warranty, better stick to the OLM and use good oil. We changed it w PP 0W-20.

^^^And I bet it runs great and did not explode!

Yup - it was quiet and smooth before the change - and after.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
A little OT, but how do you like it? My daughter really likes these cars, but I have heard/read some armchair reviews of the transmission and they were not so positive.

Any photos?

I love my JUKE!! I've read on some forums too about little annoyances with the car like not getting stated MPG and what not but I get 28 MPG overall (90 city / 10 hwy).

As far as the no arm rest, my Sentra and I think my Saturn Vue didn't have arm rests, so I'm pretty used to it. I love the Nissan CVT trannys! You can't even feel them shift!

Here's a pic of my Gun Metallic Juke and my Boston Terrier approves!:

witybl.jpg

vq1aie.jpg

wb4go6.jpg

2epuec7.jpg

Originally Posted By: skip029

Any photos?

I love my JUKE!! I've read on some forums too about little annoyances with the car like not getting stated MPG and what not but I get 28 MPG overall (90 city / 10 hwy).

As far as the no arm rest, my Sentra and I think my Saturn Vue didn't have arm rests, so I'm pretty used to it. I love the Nissan CVT trannys! You can't even feel them shift!

Here's a pic of my Gun Metallic Juke and my Boston Terrier approves!

Really nice! How about the engine? Feel peppy enough?

Any photos?

It takes a bit to get used to. Too much and you put pedal to the medal and pushes you back into the chair. You'll hit the sweet spot after awhile of getting it. The 1.6 DIG Turbo is awesome!

Any photos?

It takes a bit to get used to. Too much and you put pedal to the medal and pushes you back into the chair. You'll hit the sweet spot after awhile of getting it. The 1.6 DIG Turbo is awesome!

Is yours the turbo model?

Yep, all the 2013 Jukes come Turbo'd
laugh.gif

Also, I wasn't aware of this before I bought a Juke but the AWD versions have the option of going FWD, AWD or Full-time AWD (like 4x4).

The Juke has a cool new AWD system called Vectoring. Here's the video link that explains it:

http://youtu.be/LJXHeVws5oE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back