Engine Oil and Filter Recommendation, 2004 Tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new here. I recently purchased a 2004 Chevy Tahoe with the 5.3 v8. It has 216,000 miles on it. According to the previous owner the oil was changed on time (I assume every 3,000 or so miles) and with synthetic.
With the vehicle having such high mileage I wanted to make sure I ran an oil that would be best for the mileage and of course the right filter.
It travels roughly 20 miles most days.
I'm open to conventional ore synthetic, whichever is best. I'm new to this and I appreciate any help I get.
Thanks

welcome2.gif
! I'd run a conventional like Quaker State or Pennzoil for 5K with a Puro Classic filter

Stick with synthetic...5w30 quaker state ultimate durability, available at walmart for under $22 for 5 quart jug. Use Purolator Classic oil filter also available at walmart. If its a short tripper then I say stay with 3000 mile oil change interval.

Back when I had my Avalanche with the 5.3, I was running Pennzoil Conventional 10W-40 with a WIX 51522 and following the oil life monitor.

If you'd like to run a synthetic, I would say Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 would be a safe bet, as would Mobil 1 0W-30 AFE or 0W-40.

I would make the oil a high mileage type oil to help keep seals and gaskets in good shape.
Filter? Wix, Purolater, Bosch to name a few.

Welcome to BITOG!

Napa Synthetic is on sale for $3.49 per quart this month. It is Valvoline Synpower, a great product. Any Napa filter would work. Napa's oil filters are made by Wix. Napa Gold is the regular Wix filter, and Napa Platinum is Wix XP. The Platinum is on sale for $7.54. The Gold is not on sale.

Doesn't that truck have an oil life monitor? If so, then simply use the interval it suggests.

I have a 99 silverado with the 5.3. I ran Amsoil 5w-30 exclusively for over 100000kms but cost became a factor so I started experimenting with other products.
In my experience with that motor I like pennzoil yellow bottle 10w-30 for summer use and for winter I liked German castrol,but PYB 5w-30 was also great up til the -40 cold snap hits

is those year vortec still develope knock on start up ? I would run napa gold with pennzoils 10w30 dino or HM version, or havoline HM 10w30.

Wait a min . 214k miles ? Do you know any history about it . Like Preview owner replace engine or transmission . Head gasket ..... Why buy vehicle with that many miles ? You know with that miles thing will break very soon or later right ? Its risky buy . And its not a cheap repair . That is why people's sell it SUPER CHEAP .

I would run any cheap oil 10w30 with good filter . Or high miles oil . havoline high miles at walmart , i think its the cheapest HM oil i seen or quaker state defy . Stay away from synthethic . cause i bet that truck have some leak already . Napa gold . Wix . Pure 1 . Or P classic from Walmart . And about transmission I would not event thinking about flush or change the fluid . Just drive til it blow . Replace rear diff fluid and some some small maintaint like change air filter . Clean maf and TB . And if need throw in a new set of Ac delco plug . And just baby it best you can before something break . Cause it will very soon anyway . Good luck .

Last edited:
I really don't see what the big deal is with high mileage oils. If the previous owner's been running synthetic, you could just go with whatever he was running or the cheapest synthetic you can buy, if you don't want to spend too much on it. If you want to run a quality synthetic, the choice is yours.

Personally, I see no point in switching to a high mileage oil if the engine is not burning oil. Even then, different additives have different effects on different seal material. Try running a high mileage oil on a Ford 4.6 with leaky valve cover gaskets and see where that gets you - it'll be as useless as a suitcase with no handle because of the seal material.

Bottom line, from personal experience, I can tell you 216,000 miles is a walk in the park for an LM7. Even with double that mileage, with routine maintenance, it will outlast the rest of the truck. Follow the OLS, use a quality oil (preferably one that meats ACEA A3/B4) and call it a day.

Absolutely untrue. In one of the hardest duty cycles out there we routinely run service vehicles to well beyond 200k miles without ever opening the engine.

Actually I agree about the caution urged, as I do not believe in disturbing an older high mileage engine much either, but 200k miles is not as significant as it used to be.

I just sold a 2004 6.0 gas engined van with over 500k miles and it was the quietest engine in the driveway!

Run Maxlife 10-40 if you have consumption issues on 30w oils.

you know I been buying used cars so many years and been burn by trusting them owner word
frown.gif
, the seller ALWAY ALWAY say they been changing oil every 3000 miles with synthetic, BUT NONE can give me proof. To think of it, when peoples try to sell their cars, they alway say what best product out there that they used on their cars. anyway like I say take care of the truck best you can, doing some maintaint, air filter, oil and filter, rear diff gear oil.. dont over do it, you might end up replace every part on that truck
smile.gif

I have an 03 Tahoe 5.3 with 187,000 and an 05 Sierra with 195,000, both run whatever synthetic that is on sale and except the 03 with startup knock, both are perfect using OLM changes

Originally Posted By: 88m53453
I have an 03 Tahoe 5.3 with 187,000 and an 05 Sierra with 195,000, both run whatever synthetic that is on sale and except the 03 with startup knock, both are perfect using OLM changes

that start up knock til engine fully warm up is pretty normal on those years vortec.

Wow, thanks for all of the input.

Some history on the vehicle and why I bought it with high mileage.

It had two previous owners and the Tahoe came with all of the receipts for every oil change and transmission fluid change it's had. Even receipts for tires purchased. It does not leak although I think it might slowly consume some oil. No knocking at startup. The engine purrs and the transmission shifts smoothly.

The last owner had the oil changed almost exactly at the 3000 mile interval and had the tranny fluid changed every 6th month and once a year flushed. It was well taken care of.

I ended up going with the Penzoil Platinum with a Purolator classic this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back