2013 Ford Focus ST - Pennzoil Platinum 11,279 km

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 Ford Focus ST, purchased November, 2013.

This is a daily driver with about 70:30 city:hwy with an occasional rush of turbo thrown in for good measure. Car had a Lucas UCL at 1/2 dose at every fill up. Also a K&N drop-in filter. Engine is a direct-injection variety.

For the 2.0 L Ecoboosts, I'm glad to see fuel dilution to be not an issue. Is this still an issue for Ford EcoBoosts?

I'd like to see the silicon numbers decline. Hard to say if it's from sealants or from the filter at this point. Is it common for newer engines to have higher silicon?

I went close to 12,000 km (7,500 miles) on this oil. My current (new oil) run is Pennzoil Ultra. Should I stick with 12,000 km or go for 14,000 km (8,750 miles)?

Other than that, the car has been an absolute joy and a thrill to drive!

Regards,
Andrew

Code:

Make/Model 2.0L GTDI EcoBoost I-4 engine

Fuel Type: Gasoline

Additional Info 2013 Ford Focus ST

Oil Type and Grade Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30

Oil Use Interval 11,753 km

MI/HR on Oil 11,753 km Unit/Location Universal

MI/HR on Unit 13,093 km Averages Averages

Sample Date 7/6/2013

Make Up Oil Added 0 qts

Aluminum 9 9 5

Chromium 1 1 0

Iron 22 22 13

Copper 65 65 4

Lead 3 3 0

Tin 2 2 1

Molybdenum 59 59 61

Nickel 1 1 0

Manganese 27 27 2

Silver 0 0 0

Titanium 0 0 2

Potassium 3 3 3

Boron 18 18 79

Silicon 34 34 18

Sodium 4 4 36

Calcium 2494 2494 2110

Magnesium 12 12 161

Phosphorus 725 725 737

Zinc 842 842 822

Barium 2 2 3

Values Should Be

SUS Viscosity @ 210F 58 55-63

cSt Viscosity @ 100C 9.65 8.8-11.3

Flashpoint in F 415 >365

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0 0

Water % 0
Insolubles % 0.2
TBN 2.4 >1.0

"This first sample from your Ford Focus ST had more copper and silicon than universal averages, which show typical wear after about 10,500 km. This is one of the first few oil changes for this brand new engine, which is probably why those two elements read high. Copper is from brass/bronze parts and silicon is from harmless sealants used during engine assembly. Once wear-in material washes out, your engine should look like averages (if not better). The TBN was good at 2.4 since 1.0 or less is low for extended use. Try 14,000 km next and check back for progress."

Last edited:
Given the first oil change occurred with only 1,300 km or so, higher than normal silicon and wear metals like iron, aluminum and copper should be expected. All should be substantially reduced if you have a UOA on the current fill. Incidentally, I think Ultra is a great choice for this engine. And it is good to see fuel dilution is minimal, which also seems to be the case with my non-turbo but DI Focus.

If silicon doesn't drop next time, I'd suspect the K&N filter. You also may want to check with your dealer to make sure Ford doesn't take a dim view of this filter for warranty purposes (assuming this is a filter you have to "oil").

I probably would probably stick with a 12,000 km OCI, but I'm sure others will tell you to stretch it further.

You should expect to have higher than normal silicon and wear metals in the FF (I had them in mine) and they will reduce significantly over the next few OCs. I would stick to the OEM OCI until the warranty has expired (unless that is not a concern).

I have to say there is hardly any fuel in that uoa. Solid flashpoint and viscosity. Looks like ford figured that problem out on that 2.0 ecoboost.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I wonder what the Lucas UCL amounted to....

Good point. I had not taken the UCL into account. Don't really know if it's doing anything at all. Just habit I guess!

7500 oci max,put the oem AF back on,stop the additives. Enjoy your new car.

Suspect that useage of the K&N Air Filter will (still) result in higher than normal silicone numbers after the engine is broke in.

Originally Posted By: dparm
November 2013? Pime taradox?

Good catch! 2012 of course.
smile.gif

Unfortunately, can't go back and edit at this point like in other forums. Too late.

Only 4% - 5% shearing is pretty good for an oil over 11,279 km in a free-revving turbocharged engine.

First few OCIs I'd keep them at 5,000 kms.

Then, when all the wear-in metals are flushed out go to the max OCI in the owners manual.

See if you are Severe Service, you probably are. Go by that OCI.

Originally Posted By: Falken
First few OCIs I'd keep them at 5,000 kms.

Then, when all the wear-in metals are flushed out go to the max OCI in the owners manual.

See if you are Severe Service, you probably are. Go by that OCI.

The Focus has an IOLM, but the kind that doesn't allow mere civilians to see what it's thinking. So it seems reasonable to set an OCI and rely on the IOLM to let you know if you're getting into severe service territory.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Get rid of that aftermarket air filter. Your silicone will never level off with that on there.

+1

Get rid of that aftermarket air filter. Your silicone will never level off with that on there.

I tend to agree. OEM paper filters are fine.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I tend to agree. OEM paper filters are fine.

+2 - I missed the K&N in the original post and I agree the silicon would likely still be higher than with a paper filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back