Nokia Lumia 1020, Promising Camera Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://connect.dpreview.com/post/6384275680/nokia-lumia-1020-preview?news

As a Photography enthusiast, This looks very Interesting.

I dont mind the OS either, Im not a freeware obsessed App collector.

Certainly ups the game for "Mobile Photography".

My AT&T upgrade is due, So I might bite and turn in my BlackBerry in the Fall.
grin.gif

Quote:
Once the novelty of saying your smartphone has a 41MP sensor wears off, it's tempting to look at a 7728 x 5368 image as a marketing ploy. Yet, as it did when the 808 was launched, Nokia has taken pains to stress that the importance of such a high pixel density lies in oversampling for a higher quality image output at more manageable files sizes.

Another words, they could have just stuck to a 5MP image size, even if there was some higher megapixel oversampling going on in the background to achieve a better quality downsized image.

Did they publish any 41MP samples?

I have a 920 right now. In lit conditions, its camera is up there with the best; in low light conditions, nothing even comes close.

On the face of it, this new 41mp camera looks like it'll be a big improvement. The only worry, as I understand it, is that huge pixel counts tend to increase noise in the image, so a jump to 41mp might be two steps forward and one step back. I guess we'll see how this turns out.

I really like the OS, or at least the UI. The lack of apps does suck, and coming from a Blackberry you will either laugh or cry at the calendar app, but the homescreen is great (zero wasted space) and everything is beautifully readable.

My main concern about my phone -- and it still turns my stomach to have to say this about a Nokia -- is quality. I am on my third handset in seven months due to faults in the hardware and software.

Again, I guess we'll just have to see how the 1020 turns out.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Quote:
Once the novelty of saying your smartphone has a 41MP sensor wears off, it's tempting to look at a 7728 x 5368 image as a marketing ploy. Yet, as it did when the 808 was launched, Nokia has taken pains to stress that the importance of such a high pixel density lies in oversampling for a higher quality image output at more manageable files sizes.

Another words, they could have just stuck to a 5MP image size, even if there was some higher megapixel oversampling going on in the background to achieve a better quality downsized image.

http://gizmodo.com/full-resolution-lumia-1020-sample-shots-mostly-live-u-756012378

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Quote:

http://gizmodo.com/full-resolution-lumia-1020-sample-shots-mostly-live-u-756012378

Looks good but soft at full resolution and way too punchy colors. But I bet it will look good at 5-12MP.

Now if they would just ditch the God Awful and ***** Windows OS they may have a chance.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Now if they would just ditch the God Awful and ***** Windows OS they may have a chance.

With full manual control over the camera and a Zeiss six-element lens I'm ok with that.

As long as I can Make a call, Text and email I'm good.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Interesting. I actually think it has the best looking UI of any smartphone I've seen.

Yes, my primary phone is a Lumia 920, and the Windows 8 OS UI is vastly better than the Android OS UI in my ruggedized secondary / weekend phone, or my wife's i5. The latter two are no different than the obsolete windows mobile 6.

And the "camera" in the Lumia is rather good, as well. It's not a real camera by any means but it's quite good for a freebie add on to a cell phone.

What I find Interesting (From a photog's view) what are the other big brands going to do?

Samsungs Galaxy S4 is still very new and has a great 13mp camera but will fall short to the N1020 as a photo tool.

The HTC ONE is pretty much the same deal as the S4 except they went with 4mp "Ultrapixels". Again does not seem it will compare well to the N1020

Sony new flagship Device, the Xperia Z has not gotten a warm welcome either from a photography standpoint, Surprising considering Sony's prowess as a Camera manufacturer.
Rumors abound that Sony has a Camera Phone in the works with a larger Sensor in it than ever seen, But yeah...Rumors...Most likely Angry Android Fans having wet dreams...

Iphone 5? Well established as a Camera Phone but really being outdated now, All of the above are better for photography.

Apple most likely will be the first one to make a move IMHO, Unless they see Nokia as no threat whatsoever and wait 'til 2014 to roll out the Iphone6....

I just want a camera with good lowlight performance that also functions as a phone.

This would seem like something camera manufacturers could go into with the decline of point-n-shoot sales.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I just want a camera with good lowlight performance that also functions as a phone.

That's sort of the Nokia Lumia 920/925/928/1020 in a nutshell.

Best to wait until third-party reviewers get their hands on the phone, IMO. Anyone can make their own product look good...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Best to wait until third-party reviewers get their hands on the phone, IMO. Anyone can make their own product look good...

Well it is not yet available so yeah, Waiting it is....

Hopefully there will be reviews before official launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back