asphalt vs concrete driveway

Status
Not open for further replies.
getting to the stage in my new house build where the contractor wants me to decide what type surface for the driveway. he prefers asphalt. I know concrete is more expensive but he said he would not use it sue to the amount of salt that will be on the driveway during the winters. the way the sun sets behind the house there is no a lot of sun on the driveway so the salt would sit on the surface for extended periods of time. the way I see it my two rides will be in the garage all winter and not leaving a lot of salt on the driveway. for taking care of the driveway I can use my snow blower but I am thinking he feels that we be using a lot of rock salt to melt the ice ? either way he said for a concrete driveway we would need to find a contractor to install it as he would not warranty it. I realize that we get cold weather here but is there nothing your could do ( like seal the concrete ) to keep it from getting eaten away ? the asphalt has a lot going for it such as better in the winter , easier to repair and cost less. asphalt needs more maintenance and will not last as long ( have heard 30 years max for asphalt versus 50 on concrete )

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about salt on the driveway since you're not going to be directly salting it. My parents had concrete put in at their house about 12 years ago and it has survived plenty of ugly Chicago winters without any damage.

People throw salt on concrete sidewalks all the time and it holds up.

Are you going to be parking regularly on the driveway? If so, asphalt will leave impressions and it will start sinking and cracking within a few years. Even with care and not parking on it all the time, you'll be replacing asphalt in 10-15 years.

I suppose the quality of the concrete/work can vary. After 4 winters, our driveway is noticeably pitted, even though I don't use a whole lot of ice melt on it. The individual slabs of concrete have also separated a bit, but that's not necessarily salt's fault.

Then again, asphalt driveways will need to be repaved every X number of years as well. Nothing lasts forever. I suppose asphalt repaving may be cheaper than a concrete redo though.

From an aesthetics standpoint, which one will look better and match the house's exterior better? Maybe consider that.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I suppose the quality of the concrete/work can vary. After 4 winters, our driveway is noticeably pitted, even though I don't use a whole lot of ice melt on it. The individual slabs of concrete have also separated a bit, but that's not necessarily salt's fault.

Then again, asphalt driveways will need to be repaved every X number of years as well. Nothing lasts forever. I suppose asphalt repaving may be cheaper than a concrete redo though.

From an aesthetics standpoint, which one will look better and match the house's exterior better? Maybe consider that.

Wow sorry to hear that your driveway is not doing good after 4 winters. wondering if I use calcium chloride in the winter if that would help out ? wonder if sealing concrete would help in the pitting department ? the house has a very light grey interior with a dark color roof. my wife does not care either way but I was partial to the concrete. hate to get the asphalt and have to have it redone after a few years.

We use mostly interlock pavers in our neck of the woods as we get alot of freeze and thaw cycling. They are made of concrete but salt doesn't seem to impact the finish. If the driveway shows car wheel imprints, rip it up, level the base and relay them. I did it a few years ago at my house.
Ultimate in reuse, recycle.

http://www.unilock.com/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: matrass
wonder if sealing concrete would help in the pitting department ?

I forgot to mention that I did apply sealant. My area has a lot of thaw/freeze cycles which does not help.

Again, it may just be a shoddy workmanship. The house was new when we moved in, but I wasn't there when they were building it. Possibly the builder cut corners where he could to keep the construction costs down.

I've had both and prefer the concrete. It's much more durable than asphalt.

We use plenty of salt here in New England, it's not an issue. Unlike having oil leak onto asphalt (not my car of course :)).

Definitely seal it after it's cured.

I like the look of black asphalt over concrete which show stains and such.
Concrete will cost probable triple that of asphalt but will last much longer.

I prefer pavers or aggregate concrete. For long runs, I prefer the look of two strips with grass in-between.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Don't salt your concrete driveway! That'll rust your vehicles on pretty quick!

I agree.
Use calcium carbonate instead of salt.

Use urea to melt ice in the winter. It does not pit concrete and has a minimal effect on your cars. Also, when it runs off it acts as a fertilizer for the lawn. I have used it for years with great results. If you cannot find it at a hardware store, try a golf course supply store.

Go with concrete. It also reflects heat/light in the summer and prevents that huge black blistering hot blacktop surface from adding heat to your house and air conditioning load.

Some highways and bridge surfaces in michigan are concrete, we salt them white from november-march, doesn't seem to be an issue.

^ The midwest seems to have more lime to quarry which cheapens concrete. They also have salt to dig up.
lol.gif

OP, they say the first winter is the most important to keep salt off concrete. When I built my garage I put the pad in one year then the building up the next; kept the cars off that important first winter. Now they drip brackish water inside all winter on the concrete floor and it's none the worse for wear. Have them mix fiberglass in and rate it for at least 3000 lbs in case later you want a lift or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back