Apparently my SOCOM II wasn't legal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently putting a Magpul Angled Fore Grip on a Springfield SOCOM II in California makes the rifle into an "assault rifle" and requires a AR style bullet button to be in compliance. However replacing the AFG with a Magpul XTM Hand Stop is 100% legal and does not require a bullet button.

For example, this is not legal.

However this is legal, note the GG&G bipod is removed for storage.

Getting pretty bad everywhere..... Pretty soon only BB guns will be legal.

Looks like it still shoots, so I don't know why they dictate one way being bad....

Knee jerk reaction I guess.

The wording I got from someone in Law Enforcement that was giving me a heads up was since the AFG is called a "grip" and the Hand Stop is a "stop" that explains the difference. He said most LEOs would not care, but there is always that one that will be a jerk about it. Literally besides holding my left hand at an angle versus flush with the railed stock is the only difference I can see.

Well I'm glad that crime is so low that they have to worry about things like this....

You know what they say about "stupid".

Can't fix it.

Nice weapon!

Glad to know my SOCOM II is no longer an assault rifle, wouldn't want someone getting hurt or anything. What is funny is my AR has an AFG and no issues. Also my S&W M&P15-22 rifle has no bullet button and an AFG and its legal.

Bullet buttons are just plain DUMB. Really? Who comes up with this stuff?

Please don't answer. We know who and how they "think".

Glad you have legal items there. They would have a fit on beta mags and such that are here.

Bill

Strangly the possession of "high capacity magazines" is legal here. Just the importation and transfer of ownership is not legal. So theoretically you can stand at the NV-CA border and "drop them" and then cross into CA and "discover" them and you are Kosher.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
So theoretically you can stand at the NV-CA border and "drop them" and then cross into CA and "discover" them and you are Kosher.

crackmeup2.gif

I think that passing any type of gun legislation, no matter how ridiculously dumb and pointless, only makes our politicians FEEL as if they have accomplished something. Saving the world....

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Bullet buttons are just plain DUMB. Really? Who comes up with this stuff?

Please don't answer. We know who and how they "think".

Glad you have legal items there. They would have a fit on beta mags and such that are here.

Bill

The bullet button is actually a work around of the stupid laws. The law intended no removable magazines but there is a loop hole by using a tool to remove the magazine. Before someone came up with the bullet button you had to split an AR in half to reload.

When lawmakers who have no idea how the technology and engineering works get involved, you get stupid laws like the bullet button or those just legislating aesthetics. I would argue a lot of this same broken logic has been applied to all sorts of legislation on things like vehicles for instance.

Last edited:
Strangly the possession of "high capacity magazines" is legal here. Just the importation and transfer of ownership is not legal.

"Ex Post Facto", in short, once you have it, you can keep it. (usually.)

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I think that passing any type of gun legislation, no matter how ridiculously dumb and pointless, only makes our politicians FEEL as if they have accomplished something. Saving the world....

They are accomplishing something. Their agenda of more .gov power. Government will ALWAYS oppress it's subjects if given the time. Just compare the Constitution; what is written to how it's applied these days.

Disarming legal owners fixes nothing. It does fit into their agenda of controlling Americans. We are in deep trouble as a once free people/nation...

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Strangly the possession of "high capacity magazines" is legal here. Just the importation and transfer of ownership is not legal.

It means that they're illegal for everyone who doesn't have them, and illegal for everyone in a few years.

They're counting on the grandfathered owners to, as most humans do, die. Once they are dead, they're illegal for everyone.

By the way, nice rifle.

I've got the Sage EBR on mine. How do you like the GG&G Bipod?

It's next on my list. Any regrets?

Too bad no bayonet lug.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
By the way, nice rifle.

I've got the Sage EBR on mine. How do you like the GG&G Bipod?

It's next on my list. Any regrets?

Too bad no bayonet lug.

I like it a lot. I just got it because the SOCOM can get a little heavy and I don't have anything long range yet. The price for the GG&G unit was a little high, but the quality is there, and the owner is on a Mustang forum I post on and is a good guy.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Originally Posted By: eljefino

It means that they're illegal for everyone who doesn't have them, and illegal for everyone in a few years.

They're counting on the grandfathered owners to, as most humans do, die. Once they are dead, they're illegal for everyone.

This or the items that have been grandfathered wear out. These restrictions seem very much against the ideals of the American experiment to me. If one law abiding citizen can own a high capacity mag, all law abiding citizens should be able to. I know that the whole "equal protection under the law" part of the constitution was not written in regards to the second amendment, but I feel it should darn well apply as the right to bear arms is now a certified individual right according to SCOTUS.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Well I'm glad that crime is so low that they have to worry about things like this....

You know what they say about "stupid".

Can't fix it.

Nice weapon!

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back