TGMO 0W-20 - FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that we know more about this oil than most, thought a thread (maybe a sticky) would help compile all of the things that we know about this oil, forming a single location.

Format can be pretty simple...

What we know How we know it.

Product data sheets, MSDS, VOA, UOA all welcome.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Given that we know more about this oil than most, thought a thread (maybe a sticky) would help compile all of the things that we know about this oil, forming a single location.

Format can be pretty simple...

What we know How we know it.

Product data sheets, MSDS, VOA, UOA all welcome.

There is no PDS for TGMO 0W-20 SN, as ExxonMobil does not produce PDS for products made to be branded by other companies (Toyota in this case).

No PDS
XOM MSDS (shows Pour Point as -17F)

Quote:
IMPORTANT HEALTH, SAFETY, AND ENVIRONMENTAL INFORMATION
Relative Density (at 15 °C): 0.851
Flash Point [Method]: 219°C (426°F) [ASTM D-92]
Flammable Limits (Approximate volume % in air): LEL: 0.9 UEL: 7.0
Autoignition Temperature: N/D
Boiling Point / Range: > 316°C (600°F)
Vapor Density (Air = 1): > 2 at 101 kPa
Vapor Pressure: < 0.013 kPa (0.1 mm Hg) at 20 °C
Evaporation Rate (n-butyl acetate = 1): N/D
pH: N/A
Log Pow (n-Octanol/Water Partition Coefficient): > 3.5
Solubility in Water: Negligible
Viscosity: 36.1 cSt (36.1 mm2/sec) at 40 °C | 8.5 cSt (8.5 mm2/sec) at 100°C
Oxidizing Properties: See Hazards Identification Section.

OTHER INFORMATION
Freezing Point: N/D
Melting Point: N/A
Pour Point: -27°C (-17°F)
DMSO Extract (mineral oil only), IP-346: < 3 %wt

No specs known other than API SN/GF-5 and Toyota recommends it.

VOA/UOA's are available.

smile.gif

does toyota sell there TGMO 0w20 SN in individual quarts? if so, how much do they cost on average?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
does toyota sell there TGMO 0w20 SN in individual quarts? if so, how much do they cost on average?

Depends on the Toyota dealer and your negotiation skills with the dealer. It can range anywhere between $5 to $10. It costs the dealer about $4:

http://www.toyomotorparts.com/parts/toyota-00279-0wqte-01_0w20-single-quart-w.html

Note: These Web sites don't ship oil when your order online because of hazardous-material concerns; so, don't waste you time trying to buy it online unless there is a nearby will-call dealer whom you can order online from.

Originally Posted By: pennzoil_guru
I've purchased it for $5.70 Canadian per litre at several Toyota dealers in the Toronto area

I wonder if the Canadian formulation is the same as the US formulation. It apparently says made in USA on the Canadian bottle; so, it seems likely.

PDS info is available but only to authorized Toyota personnel.
I managed to get some PDS info on the original Nippon Oil made TGMO:

FP >200C
CCS @-35C 5,700cP
MRV @-40 18,000cP

When Toyota switched suppliers to ExxonMobil I lost my Toyota Canada contact and I couldn't get the new PDS info.
If this info' is important to anyone, or if they're just curious it is available but you'll likely need a Toyota Corporate contact to get it.

http://physics.usc.edu/Undergraduate/temporary/toyota0W20motor_oil.pdf

Caterham:

Do you believe the current TGMO (SN) from Exxon/Mobil has similar specs to Nippon's SM version (other than minor updates for the SN rating)?

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Caterham:

Do you believe the current TGMO (SN) from Exxon/Mobil has similar specs to Nippon's SM version (other than minor updates for the SN rating)?

The main elements that have stayed the same are it's 2.6cP HTHSV and nominal 215 VI. But the type of moly they use has changed and in the most recent versions of the Mobil made SN oil the known AW levels of ZDDP and moly are lower although they very well could be using something else and likely are that isn't picked up in a VOA/UOA. For example MoleKule has mentioned a polymer ester AW additive to allow lower levels of ZDDP/moly but we will never know what Mobil is cooking up.

All we know is that the oil is under constant development.

Given that we "know more about this oil than most", actual facts seem pretty light on...particularly seeing as this "particular" (implies singular, precise, or consistent) oil has changed suppliers, basestock, additive packs, basically every part of it in the last 5 years.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Caterham:

"'Minor' update for the SN rating"???
smile.gif

SN additive package by additive companies Afton Chemical, Infineum, Lubrizol, Oronite, and R. T. Vanderbilt has been developed after years of intense research and no SN additive package is the same as an SM additive package. SN additive packages are significantly different than their SM additive-package counterparts and are significantly superior in most aspects.

What makes an oil is the additive package much more than anything else (such as the base stocks used, conventional vs. synthetic, etc.) and every time a new API spec is introduced, the additive companies reformulate their additive packages for that spec.

Given that we "know more about this oil than most", actual facts seem pretty light on...particularly seeing as this "particular" (implies singular, precise, or consistent) oil has changed suppliers, basestock, additive packs, basically every part of it in the last 5 years.

I realize that was you motivation for starting this thread.
I still contend we have learned and therefore know more about this oil than most. Most PDSs are pretty skimpy and/or inaccurate.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

I still contend we have learned and therefore know more about this oil than most. Most PDSs are pretty skimpy and/or inaccurate.

Most UOA's and VOA's aren't all that accurate either though
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Since TGMO is now being supplied in bulk to dealers even better deals can be negotiated:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3040807#Post3040807

"Bulk" means unbottled oil, sold in 55-gallon drums. That's why it's cheaper -- you don't pay for the bottle. You return the empty drum afterwards. They don't sell 55-gallon drums to customers but only to dealers.

My point was that since it is being supplied in bulk to dealers you can often have your local Toyota dealer fill up some empty oil jugs as I explained in my link.
at a discount .

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Most UOA's and VOA's aren't all that accurate either though
wink.gif

I wouldn't totally agree that. Yes we have found inaccuracies in some UOA/VOAs but we have also found some significant errors in PDS info even to the point of an oil being off by a full grade.
One has to be reasonable circumspect with any source of data.
It's always good to have multiple sources of information as a cross check.

One has to be reasonable circumspect with any source of data.
It's always good to have multiple sources of information as a cross check.

That's exactly my point. A PDS backed-up by a number of VOA's showing they generally line up is better information than either of those sources on their own, as both have shown to be erroneous on multiple occasions.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back