Mazda FF 0W20 UOA @6K 2014 Mazda6 Sport AT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is my Blackstone UOA for the FF oil in my 2014 Mazda6 which I assume is Mazda 0W20 with Moly.
I am a bit concerned about the high Iron and Copper. I bought the car with 81 miles on the odo, so I hope some test drivers weren't abusing it before I picked it up. I have driven it per the manual for the 1st 600 miles and normal 60/40 hiway/city commutes since with a couple longer trips recently. I also noted when I took the oil sample at 6,016 mi.that it was about 3/4 qt. low.
I intend to change the oil using Mazda 0W20 with Moly soon. Just waiting for the oil to show up. I gave up on the local dealer who hasn't been able to get me the new formula in over a month and a half. So I found a dealer in PA that had it in stock at a reasonable price and should be here on the 18th.

UNIT ID: 14 M6
REPORT DATE: 7/12/2013

MAKE/MODEL: Mazda 2.5L Inline 4 SkyActiv OIL TYPE & GRADE: Gasoline Engine Oil

FUEL TYPE: Gasoline (Unleaded) OIL USE INTERVAL: 6,016 Miles

ADDITIONAL INFO: SkyActiv

SNOHOMISH, WA

COMMENTS
BRUCE: Congrats on your new Mazda. There's quite a bit of metal in this sample, but don't worry too much. This is from wear-in, and the silicon comes from sealers, and as the engine progresses through a few oil changes, you'll see some nice progress from here. Averages are based on about 6,500 miles on the oil, so we'll be aiming for similar metals within a few oil changes. The TBN read 2.7, which is fine, and no contamination was found. Since too much metal in the oil can be abrasive, we'd change this oil within about 1,000 miles or so. Check back after your next oil run.

MI/HR on Oil 6,016
MI/HR on Unit 6,016
Sample Date 06/27/13
Make Up Oil Added 0 qts

ALUMINUM 3
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 35
COPPER 42
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 642
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 2
SILVER 0
TITANIUN 0
POTASSIUM 9
BORON 206
SILICON 75
SODIUM 9
CALCIUM 2185
MAGNESIUM 12
PHOSPHORUS 706
ZINC 811
BARIUM 15
Values Should Be*

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 48.5

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 6.82

Flashpoint in °F 395 >365

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.3
TBN 2.7 >1.0

416 E. PETTIT AVE.
FORT WAYNE, IN 46806
(260) 744-2380
www.blackstone-labs.com

©COPYRIGHT BLACKSTONE LABORATORIES 2012

Yeah, nothing to worry about. Typical FF results.

Even FP is good, oil appears to have thinned from fuel....

Like they said, don't worry too much about the high Iron and Copper, it is just from break-in and not likely an indication of a problem. Some people (like me) change the FF early even when it is not required by Mazda, but recognize it is probably overkill.

Good choice on the Mazda w/Moly oil... I'm looking forward to your next UOA : )

Funny you post this. I just had the FF changed on my CX-5 at the 1k mark in order to remove the wear metals. Looks like a typical break-in UOA. Enjoy the car!

Welcome to BITOG.

Yes nothing to be concerned about with the FF.

If you plan on having a UOA done on the Mazda moly 0W-20 when it's time, I'd suggest requesting a KV40 test as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back