Walmart oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to walmart today, and the isle was full of Fram, a few Purolator, a few MC and AC as well. I could swear last time I looked Frams were gone and Purolator was there in large quantity. I asked the auto guy what was up with the Frams, as I thought they were out and Purolator was in. His reply was they will never get rid of Fram, and Purolator was just the new Super-tech oil filter. Hmm.

As long as we are getting purolator on the shelf....
I have always used motorcraft but they dont make a mc for every app

Quote:

As long as we are getting purolator on the shelf....

Well, local WM has purolator, but they can't seem to accomplish this. Three weeks and still my size has not been restocked.

They are supposed to be pros @ this.

Thankfully AAP is across the parking lot.

Walmart is very hit and miss with restocking and availability.

The nearest Walmart to me has ALL the Fram variants and a few Purulator Classics - that is it.

While a couple miles up the road, a Walmart has all the makes and brands, yet no MC oil. Supply Chain Problems.

Gratefully there are other suppliers outside of Walmart.

Quote:
.....His reply was they will never get rid of Fram, and Purolator was just the new Super-tech oil filter. Hmm.

I believe that to be an accurate statement, and don't look for that to change anytime in the near future, if ever. Wally is the largest seller of the Fram filter varieties.

That said, the Purolator Classic has carved out a nice if relatively small niche at local wally's here in place of the ST's. They seem to sell fairly well based on the dates of manufacture on the filters I checked recently and there is a very good representation of all the canister applications, as good as AAP as far as I can tell. At $3.27 for all applications, a good value. And compared to the ST's they replaced, well worth the extra ~$.40 imo.

But, Purolator will never have the shelf space at Wally that Fram does.

I bet they will sell a lot of Puro's based on price alone, that is the #1 consideration for a lot of their customers. As time goes on an more customers learn their Puro filter number it only figures sales will go up.

I noticed the Fram orange cans had come down last time I was in Wally's, they were down to $3.77 instead of over $4 as before, I think Fram is feeling a little heat at their #1 outlet.

while we know fram's are of mediocre quality, the general public only knows that orange box.

I still have people coming to me demanding fram and we tell them the shops got tired of the low quality and comebacks, and we don't have low quality parts. It doesn't always work, but it is the truth!

i have used the fram super filter with success. last two trips to WM 1 PURCHASE bosh distant filters with good results.http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/images/icons/default/laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: another Todd
Went to walmart today, and the isle was full of Fram, a few Purolator, a few MC and AC as well. I could swear last time I looked Frams were gone and Purolator was there in large quantity. I asked the auto guy what was up with the Frams, as I thought they were out and Purolator was in. His reply was they will never get rid of Fram, and Purolator was just the new Super-tech oil filter. Hmm.

Wanted to bring this thread back as I just got back from a local Wally and noticed something 'similar' to the OP. While the Fram varieties have always dominated the shelf space and always will, the $3.27 Purolator Classic had carved out a nice niche with what apppeared to be fairly comprehensive applications on the shelf. Today I noticed a smaller area of shelf space and clearly some Classic applications have been eliminated from the shelf. I'll leave it to your imagination which filters have lengthened in the shelf space.

I'll have to check another closer Wally to see if this is a trend, but if it is the case it's very disappointing imo. The next closest brand is at least $.50 cents more per filter, more in some cases, and of a different construction. Not too much for conspiracy theories, but I have some thoughts on the matter. Will wait till I see if other Wally's are also following suit before I express them. Just though I'd share what I saw today.

I was hoping they'd expand their Classic selection, not shrink it.
frown.gif

Of course their "Good, better, best" flyer in the filter aisle for the consumer victim has them ranked entirely by price and places the orange can above the Classic for quality. Couple that with the fact almost certainly the average Wally's shopper has been exposed to far more Fram advertising than Puro and there you have it.

I wish they'd carry more cartridge filters. I currently have to bargain hunt every time I need a filter for our KIA, I'd rather have a consistent place to just buy one at a reasonable price.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
If I'm not mistaken, only the Canadian Walmarts have canned the Frams.

Hopefully into the trash can where they belong.

Stock on the shelves in what makes retail go, Wally leaves it to the dazed and confused (just look at them wandering around). It will catch up with them, it's called Amazon Prime.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Stock on the shelves in what makes retail go, Wally leaves it to the dazed and confused (just look at them wandering around). It will catch up with them, it's called Amazon Prime.

What's crazy is Amazon is starting to ship groceries now in Seattle and Los Angeles!

The walmarts near me have been pretty good so far about stocking oils and filters. Lately I've been only buying oil in the 5qt jugs from them. For filters I buy in bulk from various websites that usually have sales/coupons along with free shipping.

We were just at our local walmart last night. Tons of Frams, purolators gone, motorcraft gone. There were a few mopars, acdelcos and Bosch, but compared too the amount of different fram seemed obvious the average walmart shopper listens too frams adds. Its cheaper and easier for me too get oil at walmart and filters at Advance Auto parts. Just wish wally world would keep the purolators though, but for my beaters, the Mopars are fine and i can pick up a motorcraft at AAP for $4.

Last edited:
Many years ago, Walmart's Supertech was a very impressive filter for the money. They had a synthetic media. I always used them until they were changed to the e-cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back