2012 Elantra in-line fuel filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only filter is located in the pump in the tank and is not considered a maintenance item. The cost is $120 at the dealer for the filter and $220 online for the whole pump assembly. The dealer says if you're not having any problems it isn't to be replaced. I don't want to wait for problems, I have 81K on my highway warrior, what are your thoughts on installing an inline filter? Any suggestions?

It wouldn't be that effective, since the in-tank filter is BEFORE any in-line filter you would install, it would not catch much of anything.

Also, be careful if you decide to add an in-line filter, the line is probably high pressure, so the filter and connections would have to be high pressure.

Agree an in-line fitter would do no good and could create a problem, especially in a high fuel pressure DI engine like I believe your Elantra has.

It's unlikely the in-tank filter will ever clog unless you normally frequent low-volume gas stations. Even if it does, you will see symptoms a long time before you're left stranded at the roadside. And if anything, a well-used filter probably filters better than a brand-new one, so damaging your fuel injectors shouldn't be much of a concern either.

That's good you use Shell. I try to go to the newer Shell stations since their tanks are probably newer and cleaner. Also when on the road try to stick with these: www.toptiergas.com, click on retailers.

New fuel systems are demand regulated by the ECU, the pump turns very slowly when the the eigine is at idle or low speed. The "old" systems were "shunt regulated" in that the pump ran full speed all the time and excess to needs fuel was returned to the tank (the "two pipe" system). Since the fuel now is filtered only when used, and since fuel is a lot cleaner that it used ot be - to the point where the FAA has OK'ed some auto gas for light aircraft use, the filters go a long time. I have one with 300 k on it. There is an ODBII code for low fuel rail pressure which would be a tip off. Lots of folks have come to grief attempting to change single pipe fuel filters by damaging the fittings.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
That's good you use Shell. I try to go to the newer Shell stations since their tanks are probably newer and cleaner. Also when on the road try to stick with these: www.toptiergas.com, click on retailers.
Is there somne "top tier" standard for dirt contamination I an unaware of since we know that fuel is purchased in bulk and the miracle additive package is added by the tanker driver.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
when the the eigine is at idle or low speed.

Is there somne "top tier" standard

Yes, there are somne for your eigine. Looks like you have some wax stuck between your ears:

I was recently given a sample of Prestone High Protection Wax to test. "EZ Off synthetic formula". Works very well. Really put a shine on my plastic headlamps for example. Got itfrom a friend who runs Nitrosport Marketing Services. IM me if you are interested. Very easy to remove excess wax.

Not so easy to remove after all.
laugh.gif

dont re-engineer the car. If needed, use fuel system cleaners and good gas.

My jeep has the same setup. I replaced the whole assembly @120k to be on the safe side. I later dissected the pump and its commutater was very worn down so it was time to replace it anyway

Techron concentrate plus is a good idea twice a year. There was a great "podcast" from chevron that showed how techron cleans the in-tank fuel sock, but sadly the website is gone!! Can't prove the techron is the reason, but I've had no fuel system or evap issues in the old Camry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back