Nokian Hakka R2 winter tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that the new Hakka R2 winter tires are out with a "Cryo Crystal" compound. The equate this compound to having diamond-like particles that can chew into ice. What's nice about these is that the ice traction does not wear out or stop halfway through the tire's life like the X-Ice or WS70.

Does anyone have experience with these? I've been a long-time Blizzak WS user but will need something new for the M3 this winter.

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=195114&group=1.01&name=Nokian+Hakkapeliitta+R2

Originally Posted By: dparm
What's nice about these is that the ice traction does not wear out or stop halfway through the tire's life like the X-Ice or WS70.

I knew all of the B-Stone winters turned into all seasons at half tread life, but I never knew the Michelins did as well.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
............I knew all of the B-Stone winters turned into all seasons at half tread life, but I never knew the Michelins did as well.
confused2.gif

The Xi3 does not turn into an all season. It has, according to Michelin, "perennial performance". They made a big deal about it when the tire was introduced, comparing the winter performance of a worn Xi3 vs a worn WS70 for journalists at the introduction.

07.jpg

Last edited:
If it's anything like the Nokian Hakka R's I have, the grip will only be affected by the tread depth, not the compound. I like the Hakka R's since they do just about everything with aplomb, even halfway to the "snow wear bars".

Thanks, but that reads like a marketing page...

Then I'm definitely doing it wrong.
blush.gif

In defense of my independence, I did genuinely like the R2's, and Nokian is still pretty mad at me because I didn't like the WRG3's.

But I appreciate your opinion and I take it seriously.

-Sean

Winter tyre season is coming, and Finnish car magazine "Tekniikan maailma" just published it's winter tyre test. Michelin X-Ice Xi3 was the best studless winter tyre in the test, Hakka R2 came second. Hakka 8 was best studded, but I guess they aren't sold in North America.

I can post comments about tyres' winter/ice properties when I'll get the issue.

Nokian does make great snow tires! But it looks like General copied some of their tread designs.

My parents have Nokian Nordsmans (Nordsmen?) on their escape. On a slippery, snowy day that thing would NOT break traction.

We were testing out the snow tires and even going 50 on an extremely slippery road ... couldn't activate the ABS. Punching it from a standstill, couldn't even active traction control!

Nokian's "Cryo Crystal" compound.... they finally caught up to others in this regard, embedding objects into the tread compound for more traction...

See:
Green Diamond remolded tires (silicium carbide)
Toyo (ground Walnut Shells)
Falken (ground egg shells)
Bridgestone makes a claim in this on the WS-70.

And yes, in North America, the Hakka 8 is not offered yet.

A lot of companies copy Nokian, they are the ones that innovated the winter tire category. The Generals, are Gislaved Nordfrost 3. Gislaved currently has the Nordfrost 5

Thanks, but that reads like a marketing page...

My impression as well.

Originally Posted By: Nebroch
Winter tyre season is coming, and Finnish car magazine "Tekniikan maailma" just published it's winter tyre test. Michelin X-Ice Xi3 was the best studless winter tyre in the test, Hakka R2 came second...........

Interesting. I was expecting the new Hakka R2 to leapfrog the Xi3, just as the Xi3 leapfrogged the Hakka R when it was new. But since the various tests from different sources often disagree with each other, I would not be surprised to see the R2 in first place in those other tests.

Originally Posted By: Nebroch
..............I can post comments about tyres' winter/ice properties when I'll get the issue.

Thanks. Looking forward to it. How did the Blizzak WS70 rate? 6th place?

Last edited:
Ok, someone posted detailed test results from the magazine to internet, and here are some main results for three best studless:

Ice braking distance: WS70 55.6 m, R2 56.4 m and Xi3 61.0 m (Hakka 8 studded 40.7 m, ouch)
Ice handling points (0-10): R2 8p, Xi3 8p and WS70 7p

Snow braking: Xi3 54.3 m, R2 54.5 m and WS70 54.8 m
Snow handling: Xi3 10p, R2 10p and WS70 9p

Wet asphalt braking: Xi3 34.9 m, R2 35.2 m and WS70 35.5 m
Wet asphalt handling: Xi3 8p, R2 6p and WS70 6p

Dry asphalt braking: WS70 26.8 m, Xi3 28.2 m and R2 28.7 m
Dry asphalt handling: Xi3 8p, WS70 7p and R2 6p

Directional stability points (0-10): Xi3 9p, R2 7p and WS70 7p

WS70 does surprisingly well?

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
What's nice about these is that the ice traction does not wear out or stop halfway through the tire's life like the X-Ice or WS70.

I knew all of the B-Stone winters turned into all seasons at half tread life, but I never knew the Michelins did as well.
confused2.gif

I don't believe any actually have any all-season compounds, but rather different types of winter compounds. Blizzaks with the Multicell compound supposedly have this for maybe 55% of the tread depth, which then uncovers a standard winter rubber compound.

Quote:
http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=116

The Blizzak WS-tires’ Multicell tread compound comprises the top 55 percent of the tires' tread depth with a standard winter tread compound comprising the remaining 45 percent. When Blizzaks are approximately 50 percent worn, their "snow platform" tread depth indicators "connect" selected shoulder tread blocks to indicate that the Multicell tread compound is almost worn out, and that the enhanced snow and ice performance is about to end.

In California, once you're down to less than 6/32" tread depth, a tire doesn't qualify at all as a "snow tread tire" that can bypass either R1 or R2 chain conditions without chains. They don't care as long as it's stamped M+S somewhere and there's a deep enough groove. I've been checked several times in my WRX. I understand it can be anyone from a Caltrans or county worker, as well as law enforcement. Once I went through a chain check at Yosemite, where it was a law enforcement park ranger.

It's usually "OK, Subaru" with a look (including a flashlight at night) at my left front tire. I've never had more than a quick glance, but my tires have never been anywhere near the minimum when I've taken it in the snow.

I think with the requirement for minimum snow tread in several states, the tire makers have an incentive to indicate that you need new winter tires, but only by marginally reducing their usefulness for winter conditions.

I am happy my ws-70's are still competitive with the best studless tires.

I was expecting the R2's to be a big jump.

also,goes to show you how far michelin came from their horrible arctic alpin(v1)
and mediocre xice (first version)

OF course driving YOUR car with these tires you might come to different conclusions.

They are all amazing compared to all-seasons.

That does make for a good question: what do you do when the snow tire gets to half-way? So far, on my dedicate snows, I've wound up with various reasons to get rid of at that point (flat spots, noise, sold the car).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back