Planned obsolescence in laptop batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard those rumors how the smart charging chips keep track of the usage and make the battery stop after so many cycles or so.

I'm very skeptical about conspiracy theories in general, but had an unusual experience with a battery for gateway laptop. I recently had some problems with the laptop, MB shorted out and I ended up replacing the MB.

While that happened, something happened to the battery and it would work fine, but always show 100% charge. I checked and the laptop run for over 2 hrs before it died (kept showing 100%). This is not bad for battery that is over a year old and had a hard life in the hands of my kid.

I decided to work hard to fix the 100% thing. After doing a few tricks with disabling windows battery management and doing a controlled discharge, the meter come back. I did a recalibration cycle overnight (gateway laptops have that option in BIOS), the PC reported only 15% of original capacity and the battery only lasts 25 minutes to complete discharge. I did a few more discharge cycles and another recalibration and no dice.

So, what is the thing about 2 hrs life before recalibration? Smart chip slipped and showed true capacity or the battery was somehow overcharged by defect in smart chip?

This is weird!

So your saying the battery kept the computer powered for 2 hours,then dies but the battery % never showed drain but after re calibration the battery dies in 25 minutes.
Interesting if that's the case.

The whole "2 hours" left of battery life comes down to a hardware and software communication error. Regardless of that error, laptops are going to need new batteries eventually. Rechargeable batteries lose their ability to "hold" charge after multiple charge and discharge acts.

Desktop computers have power supplies on the other hand, which is getting on to a different subject. Although this is the difference that makes desktops more reliable (for the most part), since it doesn't have to rely on a single battery.

In my opinion, it sounds like you may need to purchase a new battery.

Edit:

Another idea that came to me:

If it isn't the battery itself, the hardware/software miscommunication I mentioned earlier may be from the new motherboard. Although, if you checked the BIOS settings as you stated and it gave you such a small percentage, I would still assume the battery is the issue at first, although I may be wrong.

Last edited:
I always leave my battery out of the PC unless I am traveling and plan on using battery power. It cuts down on the constant charging and heat issues that can kill a cell and greatly shorten battery life.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
So your saying the battery kept the computer powered for 2 hours,then dies but the battery % never showed drain but after re calibration the battery dies in 25 minutes.
Interesting if that's the case.

Yes, this is exactly what happened.

I wonder if it is something in the settings not letting it charge to full capacity. I am leaning more to it being something to do with the recalibration not recognizing the full capacity and only charging to 15%.

18650 cells are common and standard. Battery management systems only work based upon temp and voltage. State of charge is based upon voltage. A cell probably has a short that makes it go into reversal or drain the pack past a point. Be careful - fire hazard!!

This sounds similar to the situation where the printer driver remembers how much ink you've used and simply doesn't let you print when there may still be capacity in the cartridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back