oil spill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the oil and filter changed on my 2009 Mazda 6 two weeks ago. The day after oil change, drove on highway (about 40 miles) before coming to a stop and noticed smoke coming from under hood and through AC vents. Discovered oil cap was missing and oil had spilled all under the hood (almost 3/4 qt.). I cleaned up with a rag what I could but the smell of oil is still very strong and unpleasant. How aggressive of a clean-up is safe to do? Pressure washer? De-greaser?

Take it back to the place who screwed up the oil change. Let them know what happened, that you are taking it to be professionally cleaned and that you are sending them the bill.

NMburb is right, you should contact the place about the issue and discuss cleanup with management. In all seriousness this I another reason to change yourself. An employee working for a shop will not put as much pride in the job being done right as the owner of the vehicle would.

Imagine if they had left the filter just a little looser and you lost oil pressure while traveling at interstate speeds. You would have locked that thing up internally.

I'm just saying they forgot one of only three important things, who knows what they could have forgotten. It's only drain plug, filter, oil cap, three things that have to be tight or installed at all!

Did you even find your oil cap? I imagine it fell off at those speeds?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back