Anyone here from NC? Pulled Pork question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I made some Pulled pork on the Weber kettle, Nicely smoked for about 8hrs.

I usually use a SC style mustard sauce but thought it could be fun to try the NC style Vinegar sauce.

So, Any North Carolinians have a nice formula to share?

TIA

I'm a huge fan of Pulled Pork / Beef. My wife is from SC, She makes her own version of a SC mustard sauce. I am also looking for a good Vinegar based sauce to try. I hope you score here...

36.gif

A Google/Bing search reveals several 5-star reviewed recipes.
I'm in the process of testing some of them, but I've found that one person's recommendations are no better than someone elses.

Find a recipe that sounds to your taste and have at it.

8 oz tomato sauce
1/4 cup mustard
1/4 cup white vinegar
3 tbl spoons of hot sauce (I use Texas Pete's)
3 tbl spoons of black pepper

Whatever recipe you use, try drizzling some of it on your pulled pork and them briefly cook it again over some hot coals.

The fat and sauce dripping onto the coals creates some fantastic smoke that really puts some serious flavor into the meat.

It's my belief that most eastern NC barbecue is cooked slow in the oven and finished this way....whatever, it's good eatin!

I might start with this and see what happens.

Vinegar Sauce Epicurious | April 2008

by Steven Raichlen
The Barbecue! Bible 10th Anniversary Edition

Yield: Makes about 4 cups
ingredients

* 2 cups cider vinegar
* 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons ketchup
* 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar, or more to taste
* 5 teaspoons salt, or more to taste
* 4 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper

Preparation:

Combine the vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and white pepper with 1 1/3 cups of water in a nonreactive medium-size bowl and whisk until the sugar and salt dissolve.

Taste for seasoning, adding more brown sugar and/or salt as necessary; the sauce should be piquant but not quite sour.

Source Information:

Excerpted from The Barbecue! Bible 10th Anniversary Edition by Steven Raichlen, © 1998. (Workman)

Epicurious.com © Condé Nast Digital, Inc. All rights reserved.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Vinegar-Sauce-242391

Here Is another one I found, The one above was good but VERY vinegary.....

East Carolina Barbecue Sauce

Ingredients:

2 cups cider vinegar (you can cut this in half if you
think it will be too vinegary for you)
2 Tablespoons molasses
1 Tablespoon ground dry mustard
1/2 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch

Directions:

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix cider vinegar, molasses, dry mustard, butter, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire and brown sugar.

Bring to a boil. Mix 4 teaspoons cornstarch with 4 teaspoons cold water and slowly add to the sauce; simmer 1 minute.

The sauce will thicken a little but will remain mostly thin as this is the type of sauce it supposed to be (it will also thicken a bit more when it cools).

If you think the cornstarch became clumped in any way within the sauce, strain before pouring into a squeezable bottle.

Find this recipe and more at: http://noblepig.com

Recipe Link: http://noblepig.com/2010/01/east-carolina-barbeque-sauce-for-pulled-pork/

I learned this recipe from ex-FIL#2, who lived around Goldsboro. He taught me how to cook and season a pig. It's a really simple sauce.

Lets use a quart jar's worth...

Apple cider vinegar
Salt (about an inch deep, maybe less)
Red Pepper Flakes (1/3 cup)
Hot Sauce (1/3 to 1/2 cup)

Bring it to a light boil in a pan on the stove. Let it cool. Strain if you like, but some folks like the RPF in the meat. Once cooled, pour into a quart jar with holes poked into the lid. Sprinkle the sauce into the meat as you chop it up. You can also pour some of the sauce into the pig during the last few hours on the rack.

Some call it a pig-pickin'. That's where people stand around picking meat off the carcass. But, most of those people get shoo'd away and the meat is picked off and chopped up. The chopped pork has the sauce sprinkled on it and stirred good.

I've had nothing but compliments any time I make the stuff. Even from the people that can't imagine what I'm talkingh about when I describe it to them. The venegar cuts through the fat and really brightens up the taste.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Put some cole slaw on top of your pulled pork sandwich. I'm told that's how they do it in the South. I must say, it's very tasty!

To me, slaw and BBQ are mandatory together! And SC is my favorite BBQ style. I love anything mustard based and their mustard based BBQ sauces are just heaven.

While in the states the last month, the better half fell in love with pulled pork. From "I don't know, probably won't like it" to wanting to try all ways.

Was equally happy with the pork/BBQ sauce, pork/mayo based, pork/slaw, pork/pan juice...I started calling her "two hands" in New Mexico, as one hand wasn't working for her.

Grabbed a pre-marinaded pork piece (nondescript, about 1-1/2lb, $10, 1-1/2" thick) in a vac pack at the supermarket today was plum/BBQ, lit a small charcoal fire in the weber (indirect method) and let it sit for about 3 hours, first at 180-200, a couple small handfulls of charcoal in the middle, then it burned down to too hot to hold the pork, but not hot.

Nice pink crust, and pulled apart really really well.

Made a ratatouille with onion, red bell pepper, garlic, zucchini, egg plant (the long slender ones), tomato, olive oil, mixed herbs, and balsamic vinegar.

Used bowls (mine's a nice old uranium glass), ratatouille and pulled pork, and buttered white bread.

Pork and vegetables in folded bread, then dipped in the ratatouille "juice".

went down a treat with all, garnering comments about soft tacos, pulled pork sandwiches...and a holiday that's got the all going to school tomorrow, in the middle of our winter.

My favorite sauce is KC Masterpiece or similar cut with apple cider vinegar until it's very thin. Tastes as good as anything I've tried and it's simple and easy.

Here's a recipe that I was given some time ago for a NC style, vinegar based BBQ. It is supposed to be similar to that served by Doumar's BBQ in Norfolk, VA.

Before everyone gets all upset; Yes, I recognize the heresy of suggesting a crock-pot BBQ. That said, it is very tasty. I use this nearly half the time I make BBQ.

"Doumar's" BBQ

First Day
5-7 lb. fresh pork roast
1 tbsp. salt
2 tbsp. brown sugar
Pepper to taste
1¼ cups cider vinegar (White vinegar also OK)

Trim skin & fat from roast
Put whole roast in crock pot
Sprinkle salt, sugar & pepper over roast
Add vinegar
Cover
Cook on low 10-12 hrs.
Let cool. Place in refrigerator overnight.

Second Day
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup BBQ sauce (I use Sticky Fingers Carolina Classic with added mustard and cider vinegar.)
1½ tbsp. crushed red pepper
1/8 tsp. hot sauce

Remove roast from crock pot and remove all bones.
Mince with fork.
Strain liquid, retaining approx. 2 cups (There's usually only about 1 cup of liquid remaining.)
To the retained liquid, add ketchup, BBQ sauce, crushed red pepper & hot sauce.
Mix liquid with minced meat and return to crock pot.
Cook on low until juice has cooked down to desired moisture.

Serve with additional BBQ sauce, if desired.
And, yes, slaw on top.

Sounds good, and more predicatable than 10 hours over charcoal while trying to fit in chores etc.

A Weber kettle isn't hard to run for 10 hours. Close it up pretty tight and a handful or two of charcoal every couple hours does the trick. Exact temp controls aren't necessary to cook good meat. I can't imagine crock pot Q coming close to decent traditional. Barring the texture which is stringy, you have no bark which adds tons of flavor to the meat.

I've gotthe weber, and I agree, but weekends are usually taking kids to sport, running errands...would have a couple hours at least in charcoal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back