Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to know if this thing actually helps? I've only used chevron premium gasoline for my cars...and was wondering if pouring any Chevron Techron Concentrate would help any? I don't experience any abnormality with my vehicles...but would be interested since its only $6 a bottle

Also, do these cleaners last a long time? I know motor oil doesn't really have a shelf life...as long as it hasn't been opened, it can last a very long time...does this apply with chevron techron cleaner too? I plan to buy bulk from Costco...will it still work, say, 2-3yrs down the road?

Oh yeah, I wanted to ask questions regarding Redline SI-2 fuel cleaner as well...I've heard its actually better than the chevron stuff? More powerful, and cleaner according to the s2000 forum guys...is this true?

My Oil Shop has redline SI-2 for only $5 a bottle...what do you guys think?

Techron is good, but IMO it is not very strong. Not the way Redline, Regane, or BG44K would be. Your fuel system is likely not too bad since you run a gas that has small amounts of Techron in it as it is. But once or twice a year I think it is a good idea to run a cleaner just to make sure things stay nice and tidy.

Personally I wouldnt stock up on Techron, I would buy a few bottles of regane or redline and maybe a bottle or 2 of Lucas UCL to run in every tank. Techron although a good cleaner is just a tad bit too high priced for me.

Example:
12oz Techron - Treats 12 gallons. Costs 6.12 at walmart

12oz Gumout Regane - Treats 25 gallons. Costs 5.32 at walmart.

Regane is a bigger bang for your buck. And I run Lucas UCL in everytank to keep everything clean and running quite smooth. Lucas costs like 8.00 per quart, and 3 oz treats my whole 14 gallon tank. So I get about 150miles out of a bottle.

Chevron's explanation of Techron

Some excepts...

"Techron and Techron Concentrate are polyether amines of slightly different structure, each optimized for its specific application. The principal difference between Techron and Techron Concentrate is additive concentration and rate of deposit clean up... A bottle of Techron Concentrate, whose additive concentration is roughly 10 times stronger than the dose in Chevron gasolines, provides a quicker clean up of deposits left by lower quality gasolines."

"For consumers who buy exclusively Chevron gasolines with Techron, their cars very likely are delivering their best possible performance and operating at their lowest possible emissions. A bottle of Techron Concentrate, therefore, is not likely to provide any benefits to these consumers."

Gumout Regene seems cool...anybody else want to chime in on this? How about redline SI-1?

what about the whole issue of hurting fuel injector seals or being "too strong" is bad?

oh yeah, according to myoilshop, the redline SI-1 treats 100 gallons...overkill for an 18.5 gallon tank for my maxima?

Chevron Techron used to be sold as fuel injector cleaner, and valve cleaner. The valve cleaner cost more, as it had more stuff in it - it was more concentrated. It is one of the best cleaners to use once or twice a year.

"In 2004, Marathon Petroleum Co. discovered that it had sold gasoline to thousands of motorists in the Louisville, Ky., market that had high levels of elemental sulfur, causing damage to the gasoline sensors. It paid out about $500 per vehicle to motorists whose fuel-sending units were affected.

What do you do if you are stung by bad gas that has broken your fuel-sending unit? Before you go to the high expense of replacing the unit, you might try an additive. Late last year, Chevron introduced an additive called Techron Concentrate Plus that is formulated to clean the sulfur deposits from the fuel sending units.

The sulfur in gasoline can contaminate the silver or silver palladium and the Chevron concentrate is designed to remove it in one tank of treatment, [Scott Cushing] said. A bottle for a 20-gallon tank costs about $10. It is sold at most auto parts stores and big discount stores. (Although Chevron puts Techron in its gasoline, the gasoline does not contain the ingredient that cleans the fuel sending units, Cushing said.)"

Jan Richter

Nice information about the Techron, do you happen to know anything about Gumout RegEne or Redline SI-1?

I wholeheartedly recommend Gumout Regane (golden transparent liquid). For decades I have been fan of Techron concentrate and have used BG44K and have also done the "real" MotorVac treatment.

I was pleasantly surprised with Gumout Regane. Both my cars have benefitted from it. I am going to stock up on Regane rather than on Techron now.

- Vikas

For even more bang for the Gumout buck, try Gumout Large Vehicle Fuel System Cleaner. Its has the same PEA in the same proportion just in a bigger container(20oz) for 6.99 at most locations.

I picked up 2 bottles, I pour 12 oz in for the first tank, run it half way down and then refuel with the left over 8oz.

My roommate's 05 Sport Trac was experiencing some problems with the fuel guage (reading 1/2 - 3/4 when the tank was completely full), and I suspected it was sulfur buildup on the sending unit. I had him pour in two bottles of Techron Concentrate and filled the tank to the top of the neck. After that tank was burned, he's had no more problems with guage inaccuracy. I've used Techron for years to remedy a number of problems (mainly stumbling and rough idle) and have had great luck with it.

I'd quess you didn't need any as long as you buy premium Chev. I look at those products as good if you buy the cheapest gas without techron.

When prices went up and I switched to Arco to save a dime a gal I started using Techron every 3 months which spends about 1/3 of my gas savings on techron.

Gumout can be found at most all walmarts, AZ, advance auto, and so on. Walmart will have the lowest prices.

BG44K is tougher to find and VERY expensive(16 - 20.00 a bottle) compared to <7.00 for the gumout. You can usually find it at a dealer or a shop.

I've used Red Line SI-1. You could use 1 15-oz. bottle in as little as 1 tank (I strongly suspect that's not necessary since you've used exclusively Chevron premium fuel), or you can use that 1 bottle on as much as ~100-150 gallons (?? I forgot the exact wording on the bottle, but it's 100 gal. or more). That's the 'maintenance' dose level. My recent experience(s) show me that to use ANY fuel additive for the first ~5,000 miles could be a mistake, with the possible exception of FP60 (which I have no personal experience with).

You should read the posts by Terry in the thread titled "Intake Valve Deposits" in this sub-forum. Here's an excerpt of one:

quote:

RL and Amsoils fuel additives are very similar in being equally ineffective in upping MPG, they will clean a bit, good detergency, but like many other adds used in a fuel diluting unit ( very common for a variety of reasons) they will react with softer alloys in the engine. Showing higher lead, copper,tin, al,levels.

Mostly they are a waste of money from an oil analysis point of view. Some of my customers run PI and SI because they just choose to or have lots of old product on hand. I aim them to FP or if they are resistant then Techron concentrate, whether they follow that advice is up to them.

I got better results from Redline SI-1 than Techron (which I had used for years). I did single, full bottle treatments on two cars and both showed noticable improvement.

The shelf life is a good question. About 3 years ago I bought two bottles of Techron Concentrate, which had been on the store shelf a while (quite dusty). When I went to use them, they both seemed to have loosened foil seals. Both vehicles ran rough during that tankful - one even began stalling. Possibly the seals had seperated slightly and some of the goodness evaporated.

I've been using FP-60 for the last 6 months and both of my cars run smoothly.

is Gumout Regane the most concentrated and expensive fuel injector cleaner on the Gumout line?

I used Redline SI-1 and Chevron Techron Concentrate (over the past 7 years) on a 1998 Honda that had a 'VERY clean fuel system' and Techron does not increase gas mileage.......But keeps things nice and clean.

If you are looking for a slight bump (1-2 MPG) in gas mileage....try FP60 or Lucas. This stuff does work if you use the correct mixture of (Lucas/FP60 : gas)

I got 10 free bottles of Techron from PepBoys coupon calenders......so its not like I used only 1 bottle of Techron and came to the conclusion that Techron doesn't help gas mileage.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back