Pennzoil Platinum too thin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
Originally Posted By: pbm
What would Dr. Haas say about this?

He'd say the PP 5W-30 was too thick.

Honestly, even though PP 5w-30 was not the best oil for this car, I don't think it should have caused the oil light to come on. I suspect the OP's engine has some problems brewing.

I would agree. I have heard some say that BMW's oil system for the 4.4 in this one wasn't all that great?

PP 5W-30 is a very fine oil, it in and of itself may be thinner but the engine is another matter. Oil pressure lights only come on when pressure is dangerously low and damage can occur, do they not?

You'd be seriously surprised at how picky the oil pressure senders can be in European cars no matter which make. The incorrect oil viscosity at a certain temp can and DOES set off the senders if the oil spec is not correct.

We're assuming the oil was at operating temperature when the oil pressure light came on.

At any temp apart from operating temp, PP 5w30 should have been thick enough.

Why not use M1 0w40 get a jug at Walmart for $22 and have Pep boys put it in for you? Personally I'm not a pep boys fan but to each their own. I used pu euro 5w40 in my gti and noticed no difference other than a lighter Wallet vs. M1.

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
Originally Posted By: pbm
What would Dr. Haas say about this?

He'd say the PP 5W-30 was too thick.

Honestly, even though PP 5w-30 was not the best oil for this car, I don't think it should have caused the oil light to come on. I suspect the OP's engine has some problems brewing.

+1

Originally Posted By: GhostFlame
I had my oil changed the other day at Pep Boys. I wasnt thinking and they put PP 5 30 in my bmw x5. When it was already done I thought how bad could it be.
I drove off and when I came to a stop and rpm dropped the low oil pressure light came on.
Today I changed to castrol 5 40. No more low pressure warning light.
Has anyone else experienced PP not holding viscosity when at operating temp.

Heres another thing i been waiting too pop up.....
My father ahs a Dodge Ram1500, bought it new, ran conventional oil for four years straight, decided too go too synthetic oil, wont name the brand, but it was a popular high rated one. Upon taking the truck for a spin, oil pressure light came on, we jumped out of the truck, checked for leaks, filter was still on, no drips nothing. Oil pressure still bottomed out. Long story short, called the dealer, took it in next day, they changed oil too conventional oil and oil pressure came right back up too normal. After doing a full diagnostics and checks for three days, we went too pick it up and they told us too never put synthetic back in it again, only use conventional oil. I havfe no idea after reading all i have here why, but for some reason, if you put synthetic oil in his truck, it has ZERO oil pressure and lights up his dash with alerts. I have spent a good bit of time reading postings on Dodge forum boards, here and a few other places, and noone knows why this happens. It still runs liike a champ, hes had it for six years now, and loves it too death, but will never use a synthetic oil in his Dodge for sure. It makes no sense, i know, but it is what it is. IF anyone knows why this happens, please message me, i would love some insight on this.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
that is an engine or oil pressure sending problem for sure

Like i said, only happens with Synthetic oil, the truck checked out, the dealer went over the thing, was nothing wrong with it. And im confused after reading all i have here over it, makes no sense.

Originally Posted By: JANDSZIRKLE
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
that is an engine or oil pressure sending problem for sure

Like i said, only happens with Synthetic oil, the truck checked out, the dealer went over the thing, was nothing wrong with it. And im confused after reading all i have here over it, makes no sense.

The "difference" between that synthetic he used and the conventional could easily have been verified with a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Did you change the filter also? The filter is more suspect to me than the oil.

+1, beat me to it

Some say here that there must be something else wrong with the engine, oil pump, sensor and it can't be the oil. Some say yes the light can come on if the oil is thinner.

Here's what happened. The PP 5/30 was installed (accidently) the filter was changed with a Purolater by Pep Boys. Within a few miles the OP light came on. I ran it until I had the time to change it myself about 200 miles.
I put in 8 qts of Castrol and a new Mann filter and no light in 500 miles since the change.
I didn't go back to Pep Boys because I knew from the get go I shouldn't let them change my oil and I was mad at myself. Secondly I wanted to make sure what and how the next oil change was done. I know what I have now.

I have wondered and will never know... did Pep Boys charge me for PP 5/30 and give me something else? When I changed the oil I left the "alleged" PP in the pan to cool. I noticed it seemed more runny than it should (from the finger dip test). So I took a paper cup of PP and a cup of the Castrol and did an unscientific "pouring race". the room temp PP ran like water and the castrol ran slower as I would expect.
I had a quart of Pennzoil 5/30 conventional on my shelf and poured out a little to see what that looked like and that was thicker-- more like the castrol.

So, I can't say for sure but, I wonder what really went into the crank case--- either by accident or on purpose. Never again though--- to me there is value in the DIY method... you KNOW what went on!

What I know is that the light never came on before and hasn't come on since I changed the oil to the castrol.

Here's what happened. The PP 5/30 was installed (accidently) the filter was changed with a Purolater by Pep Boys. Within a few miles the OP light came on.

In the other thread you wrote that the OP light came on after 5 days...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...357#Post3057357

Anyway, it could have been the filter, too. Or like you said, they actually may have used something even thinner than PP 5w-30.

FWIW, I ran M1 5w-30 as well as PP 10w-30 for a short time in my 530i (same engine as your X5) and never had the OP light come on.

Anyway, it could have been the filter, too. Or like you said, they actually may have used something even thinner than PP 5w-30.

FWIW, I ran M1 5w-30 as well as PP 10w-30 for a short time in my 530i with a similar engine and never had the OP light come on.

Yes it is entirely possible that they put in a bulk 5W-20 and if it was PP that's about the lightest 5W-20 available. That in conjunction with the high mileage engine being a bit worn could have triggered the low OP light once the engine oil was fully hot.
That said PP 5W-30 is at the lighter end of the 30wt spectrum with a HTHSV of 3.0cP. Nevertheless there are millions of BMWs, MBs and Audis running around in NA with a light 5W-30 in the sump with no low viscosity issues. I don't run anything heavier than that in my BMW and have run 0W-20 in the winter also without issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back