Who's got some high mileage bikes??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: saaz
96 Honda ST1100 with 193,000kms on it. Original engine, clutch etc. maintenance items on cooling system, carbs and timing belt are the only things I have had to do.

Original clutch? That's awesome. Makes me feel much more confident in the Hondas I have.
There is something to be said about a wet clutch and durability.
On a car I've never had a clutch last even 100000kms. I fry them,however hot lapping and burn outs will shorten clutch life I'm sure

Whatever honda uses in their clutches works well-
My sister's Accord (Bought new in 1993) hit around 190,000 miles before she sold it. Original clutch and shifted as if it were new.

I've had a few Acura Integra's and various Honda sport bikes over the years. Never a clutch failure.

Originally Posted By: needsducktape
Originally Posted By: Clevy
96 Honda ST1100 with 193,000kms on it. Original engine, clutch etc. maintenance items on cooling system, carbs and timing belt are the only things I have had to do.

Original clutch? That's awesome. Makes me feel much more confident in the Hondas I have.
There is something to be said about a wet clutch and durability.
On a car I've never had a clutch last even 100000kms. I fry them,however hot lapping and burn outs will shorten clutch life I'm sure

Whatever honda uses in their clutches works well-
My sister's Accord (Bought new in 1993) hit around 190,000 miles before she sold it. Original clutch and shifted as if it were new.

I've had a few Acura Integra's and various Honda sport bikes over the years. Never a clutch failure.

And I had a 2004 Accord (4 cyl) that I bought new, whose clutch developed a slight chatter after a few hard launches.

The rotors also warped a little after a few times slowing from 80 mph to 60 on the freeway.

There are great roads in what pass for mountains down here, along the east coast great dividing range. We don't get those really spectacular mountain roads as the highest roads go to about 1200 metres. Also as our population is relatively sparse for the size of the place, lots of gravel roads.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

Crooked roads in your neck of the woods? I've never heard much about mountains/hills Down Under. Good roads near you?

There are great roads in what pass for mountains down here, along the east coast great dividing range. We don't get those really spectacular mountain roads as the highest roads go to about 1200 metres. Also as our population is relatively sparse for the size of the place, lots of gravel roads.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

Crooked roads in your neck of the woods? I've never heard much about mountains/hills Down Under. Good roads near you?

I hope I get the chance to ride down there one day!

There is a fellow named Hank who owns a BMW boxer powered GS model (not sure of year, mid 1990s IIRC) who infrequently posts at ADVrider (he's pretty busy riding). He is currently at 480,000+ and states he'll clear 500,000 miles this summer, all without a major engine tear down. He indicates he uses Mobil 1 engine oil.

Yes, that's one half million miles folks.

Yea there are some guys that really rack the miles. Steve Short who is a retired guy who rarely ever posts anywhere, but has ridden the Iron Butt rally on a 2005 Goldwing, rode 280,000 miles in slightly over 4 years time on that bike. I figured it up to 175 miles a day average. That's some riding! I've averaged like 27 miles a day for nearly 40yrs now. Take a little more time to step up to the big time with some of these guys.

My 2002 GL1800 Honda has over 125,000 smiles on it, but that isn't even broken in yet. Some guys on our forum have over 300,000 and I recall one member who claims over 500,00 and mostly with trailer in tow!

prs

Not many of those Km/H are in moderation...

RC45Coolant203FOil10.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back